Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Error Build Up Over Multiple Transitions

kygundoc

I am having a problem that I have not been able to correct on my own. This first came to my attention when I was practicing for "Fluffy 1" and now that I am looking for the problem I am seeing it on all long transition stages. On the last target on Fluffy I hit the hostage before I get to the shoot target. On multiple transitions (generally four targets or more) I hit the C zone before I get to the A zone. I have tried this in both directions and I am always surprised to see the C hit as I have slowed down after this problem became apparent to get my A hits. I shoot Production with a G34 and I hit where I aim. Slowing down has not helped in this regard as even on slow transitions I get a C hit almost on the A scoring line. On normal two or three target arrays I can call my bad hits but on the multiple transitions I Think I am shooting an A and get a C. What can I do to get over this in the off season?

Crusher is right, finish the shot. To do that you need to see the front sight lift off the spot where the bullet will impact. If you don't see the front sight it will be a LONG road to recovery, if you see the front sight lift it should be just a matter of discipline from there.

I am having a problem that I have not been able to correct on my own. This first came to my attention when I was practicing for "Fluffy 1" and now that I am looking for the problem I am seeing it on all long transition stages. On the last target on Fluffy I hit the hostage before I get to the shoot target. On multiple transitions (generally four targets or more) I hit the C zone before I get to the A zone. I have tried this in both directions and I am always surprised to see the C hit as I have slowed down after this problem became apparent to get my A hits. I shoot Production with a G34 and I hit where I aim. Slowing down has not helped in this regard as even on slow transitions I get a C hit almost on the A scoring line. On normal two or three target arrays I can call my bad hits but on the multiple transitions I Think I am shooting an A and get a C. What can I do to get over this in the off season?

I forgot to add that the C hit is always the first shot on the target. The second shot is usually an A.

I forgot to add that the C hit is always the first shot on the target. The second shot is usually an A.

You still need to finish every shot. ;) Don't think of is as "slowing down" just finish the shots the time will take care of itself.

Sounds like you're too quick on the trigger transitioning into another target. Normally the advice would be for more visual patience and wait the extra fraction of a second until the sights reach the A zone, but it sounds like more of your difficulty is in shot calling, as you expect an A and get a C.

Since you've noticed this as a problem, I'd pay attention to it next practice, focus on snapping your eyes to a point in the center of the A zone, not just the whole target, apply visual patience and break the shot when the front site arrives. I bet the problem goes away, then you just need to program that type of focus at your next match.

This comes down to a very important lesson called visual patience, don't slow down. Just see.

All of us suffer from this at one time or another, anxious to get to the shooting. we fire before getting perfect visual confirmation. LIkely the problem can be fixed with dry fire, by telling your body what to do slowly, it will do it in full speed. train yourself not to shoot until the sights are IN the A box. Being acceptable of the C hits causes this.

Good luck, let us know how you progress :)

I hit the hostage before I get to the shoot target.

lack of visual patience, not snapping your eyes to the "target spot"...then back t the front sight, target focus, front sight focus while transitioning

On multiple transitions (generally four targets or more) I hit the C zone before I get to the A zone.

same as above, with the possible addition of shooting with a cadence

I have slowed down...Slowing down has not helped...even on slow transitions I get a C hit

speed, apparently, isn't the issue

...am always surprised to see the C hit...I hit where I aim...I Think I am shooting an A and get a C.

Clearly, there is a difference in what you think you are seeing and what you've told us is actually happening.

On normal two or three target arrays I can call my bad hits... but on the multiple transitions ...

You might be in a situation that you are calling to start with, then start shooting with a bit of a cadence and think your are still calling shots.

If you're shooting the C-zone before your pistol gets to the A-zone, it's because your vision is "lazy" - you're just shooting at brown.

It's way more effective to visually plan everything you need to see than it is to think terms of speed. (Slowing down / speeding up, or anything else you can think of that has anything to do with speed.)

be

Being acceptable of the C hits causes this.

I agree and that is why I am asking for some guidance. Shooting Minor a C hit hurts so I have tried to shoot a higher score even if my time suffers for now. I know that if I train myself to shoot higher scores the speed will follow as I get used to the drill.

You might be in a situation that you are calling to start with, then start shooting with a bit of a cadence and think your are still calling shots.

A cadence after multiple targets may be what I am falling into. I will look at that and see if I can fix it.

Just an update on this topic. I shot a local league match last week and decided to just let my mind shoot the match for me. What I mean by that is instead of trying to slow down and get good hits ( which causes me to think out each shot) I decided to just shoot. I watched the shooter before me shoot and stepped to the line and just let the rise and fall of the front sight dictate the speed I shot the match. This was an array of 9 targets all equally spaced so I knew this would be a good test for me. The last 3 targets brought this home to me as they were fired weak hand only and on an indoor range that is not lighted very well. I could see the front sight lift to the right shoulder of each target and settle back to the A zone lift into the next target settle in lift settle in. I am still trying to find a way to describe it. My body did what my eyes told it to do in a most unconscious way.

• 1 month later...