Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Idpa Box

finally after all the years of the USPSA/IPSIC BOD and members ignoring idpa[ i mean idpa is just a joke..right??],the rules and all the differences with shooters,and those USPSA guys coming over to show us idpa guys how to shoot idpa...now they want to use the idpa box to check SS guns??? so maybe now i can drop my membership to uspsa and just show up at the next ohio,or michigan uspsa match and present my idpa card take my vest off and shoot SS....remember one world ,one family

Bill

Call IDPA HQ, they will sell you one. It is the only place I know where one can be purchased. (870) 545-3886

Odd that they don't list it on the website store.

I agree and this is why you have to call them. When you start a new club they ship you one as part of the introduction kit, so I guess HQ figures everyone who needs one has one.

Maybe they should stock up. Looks like the new USPSA rules for Single Stack and Production divisions are going to use the IDPA box. The new Single Stack rules go

into effect tomorrow.

I would have to say it's to avoid any further friction between IDPA and USPSA - a rift that has finally almost healed - and to encourage crossover shooters. If it'll fit in the IDPA box, it'll fit the same box for USPSA Single Stack, and vice versa.

If it'll fit in the IDPA box, it'll fit the same box for USPSA Single Stack, and vice versa.

FWIW The IPSC box has been around for a while (long before IDPA was EVEN a concept) and is a bit smaller thickness/ witdth than the IDPA box but slighly larger in length

(8.858"x 5.905"x 1.771").

From the USPSA/IPSC Modified/Standard "Box" rule:

A handgun in its ready condition (See Section 8.1), but unloaded and with

an empty magazine inserted, must fit wholly within the confines of a box

which has internal dimensions of 225mm x 150mm x 45mm (tolerance of

+1 mm, -0 mm). Note that all magazines must comply, failing which Rule

6.2.5.1 will apply.

From the Single Stack Provisional division rules:

A handgun in its ready condition (See Section 8.1), but unloaded and with an empty magazine

inserted, must fit wholly within the confines of a box which has internal dimensions of 225mm x

150mm x 45mm (tolerance of +1mm, -0mm). Note that all magazines must comply, failing which

Rule 6.2.5.1 will apply.

Same rule just as applied to the NEW provisional Single Stack division prior to 1/1/07 now they allow the (slightly) larger IDPA box dimensions.

Edited by Crusher

finally after all the years of the USPSA/IPSIC BOD and members ignoring idpa[ i mean idpa is just a joke..right??],the rules and all the differences with shooters,and those USPSA guys coming over to show us idpa guys how to shoot idpa...now they want to use the idpa box to check SS guns??? so maybe now i can drop my membership to uspsa and just show up at the next ohio,or michigan uspsa match and present my idpa card take my vest off and shoot SS....remember one world ,one family

Bill

Call IDPA HQ, they will sell you one. It is the only place I know where one can be purchased. (870) 545-3886

Odd that they don't list it on the website store.

I agree and this is why you have to call them. When you start a new club they ship you one as part of the introduction kit, so I guess HQ figures everyone who needs one has one.

Maybe they should stock up. Looks like the new USPSA rules for Single Stack and Production divisions are going to use the IDPA box. The new Single Stack rules go

into effect tomorrow.

Just when the "rift" appears to be closing some troll comes along and tries to open it up.

Mods - Close this before it becomes an all out hate fest.

There are a lot of IDPA CDP shooters who want to try this new Single Stack division, it pays to reason the powers that be would make the path over an easy one to walk. Seems like pretty intelligent marketing really. An otoh, it will help SS shooters think about trying IDPA as well.

This is not something for anyone to say "neaner neaner" about. This seems like a pretty good common sense move by USPSA. Far too often people make something different for the sake of making it different. Using the same size box will really make it easy on cross competitors who shoot both sports.

This thread really does have the potential for a pretty bad death spiral.

IPSC created a box -> IDPA copied the box -> USPSA copied the box -> an IDPA member thinks he's Prometheus.

Henceforth, this should be known as the ihatepickles' Promethean Conjecture.

Now is there an enterprising contributor that could provide the group with a proof or disproof? Maybe we could emulate the Millennium Prize or the X-Prize groups offering up a reward or make grants to researchers. I've got a quarter here on the desk for seed money... :P

Isn't there some prevailing research on evanescent topic trolls that would be helpful in the matter at hand? Maybe it was here or was it here

See what reading a pop math book on the Riemann hypothesis combined with a Sudoku book stocking stuffer does to your brain...

Hello: I like the option to be able to shoot the same gun more often. It really makes sense to me to have the same gun for both venues. I mean what is more fun than shooting a single stack 45 with only 8 rounds? Our club here shoots both events every month and I like that I can use my pistol in both. This just my thoughts. Thanks Eric

Who made the box is pointless. Look at the demintions of most 1911's the box just happens to be sized for a standard 1911 5" with thin double safties and a modest magwell. So, it seems to me it is just a box that the standard 1911 fits in, no titles needed.

So yesterday, I went ahead and built a box, since I was intrigued how the magazines would fit. I rarely shoot a sanctioned IDPA match, but do want to start shooting USPSA SS.

As you can see, I ain't no carpenter, but the dimensions are close, and it took all of 5 minutes to build (didn't bother with a top or bottom). Hardest thing was ignoring my wife, who wanted me to help get the house ready for guests. But this was IMPORTANT, see...

"Regular" basepads, like those on a Wilson 47D, or CMC Power mag, are not problem. My Les Baer with Bar-Sto-copy sights fits just fine. But extended basepads look like they'll need to be trimmed. With a KimPro-Tac mag, it won't fit without cutting, as you can see.

Actually, the box is no big deal, but the weight is. This Les Baer PremierII with an S&A magwell, and FLGR weighs in at 43.3oz. :ph34r:

lb.jpg

So yesterday, I went ahead and built a box, since I was intrigued how the magazines would fit. I rarely shoot a sanctioned IDPA match, but do want to start shooting USPSA SS.

As you can see, I ain't no carpenter, but the dimensions are close, and it took all of 5 minutes to build (didn't bother with a top or bottom). Hardest thing was ignoring my wife, who wanted me to help get the house ready for guests. But this was IMPORTANT, see...

"Regular" basepads, like those on a Wilson 47D, or CMC Power mag, are not problem. My Les Baer with Bar-Sto-copy sights fits just fine. But extended basepads look like they'll need to be trimmed. With a KimPro-Tac mag, it won't fit without cutting, as you can see.

Actually, the box is no big deal, but the weight is. This Les Baer PremierII with an S&A magwell, and FLGR weighs in at 43.3oz. :ph34r:

lb.jpg

Looks like it would have still fit if the Bomar was "melted." The mag release button is a no no for IDPA I think. I use a little lever on mine in SS and change it out for IDPA...

Who made the box is pointless. Look at the demintions of most 1911's the box just happens to be sized for a standard 1911 5" with thin double safties and a modest magwell. So, it seems to me it is just a box that the standard 1911 fits in, no titles needed.

My understanding, actually, was that the dimensions of the IDPA box were built around a Beretta 92, the goal being that the 92 fit in the box but a gun much larger in any dimension not.

Actually, the box is no big deal, but the weight is. This Les Baer PremierII with an S&A magwell, and FLGR weighs in at 43.3oz.

For IDPA a year or so ago, I had to get a Les Baer Ultimate Master (ambi safety, mag funnel, FLGR, adjustable sights) down under 41 ounces. I found that yanking the FLGR and replacing it with the classic shorty guide rod and solid plug did the trick.

The mag release button is a no no for IDPA I think.

Yep.

By the way, I am happy to see that the predictions of this topic swiftly spiralling out of control have proven false. Adulthood. Wotta concept. :lol:

When gun weight got to be a hot topic, I exchanged my steel and neoprene Pachmayr grips for walnut and tape. When it got to be a real hot topic I rounded up a better scale than the one in the kitchen and found I was still a bit over for CDP. Replacing the FLGR with GI fixed that.

If you are still heavy with a 1911, S&A makes aluminum mag well funnels. They say they cannot produce enough to stock a distributor like Brownells so you have to order direct at full retail. But it is probably about a two ounce savings vs steel.

I like the idea of a simple "same" box and crossover guns.

And I would invite the original poster to any USPSA match before or after the box. You always could shoot with your IDPA gear(concealed of course according to local laws) before the new rules and after, and for a local USPSA match, no membership is required.

Yeah....Jerry...a bad day at the range beats a good day at the office or on the construction site, every time.

Happy New Year, BTW!

Maybe see you at the new "Caseyville" range this weekend for orientation?

The 1911 Society and the Single Stack Classic preceded IDPA by several years. The IDPA holster and mag pouch rules, with slight variations, have always been similiar to the original Single Stack rules. Gary Stevens is the principal author of USPSA's provisional Single Stack Division rules. He has shot IDPA CDP and the Single Stack Classic. Without speaking for Gary, I think he tried to take the best ideas from both, along with the USPSA Production Division holster and mag pouch rules. The second edition of the rules has some holster restrictions that make it even closer to IDPA.

and for a local USPSA match, no membership is required.

True, but IDPA Clubs have no monthly classifier fees to send in each month. Overall, a Club's income hosting IDPA matches while charging the typical $15 to $20 per match, puts a lot more cash in it's coffers for range improvements, new steel targets, etc. We typically average 45 shooters each month. That times $15 give us $675 at the end of the day. The only fee to IDPA is the yearly renewal fee.

Edited by Singlestack Wonder

Here's how this all went down folks. Gary Stevens myself and a few others were talking about this last spring and summer.

First there was the idea of using the IPSC box. but our very popular glock 34 and 35 do not fit in that box. nor do a few other guns. but those are the primary ones. then we looked at other boxes out there and the IDPA box MADE sence. That garentee's that the idpa folks comming into our sport will be within the rules. it is JUST long enough to fit the glock 34/35 which i'll be it the #1 gun shot in production when it comes down to it.

Why did we need a box to beginwith. .... well manufactures have now realized how big production can and will be come so they are now building guns AIMED at produciton division. Instead of being Retro active and making up rules to say you can't do this and that. saying that things just fit in the box makes it a Pro active thing. Which will hopefully save everyone headache's in the future.

Kudos to the board on the box rule....... but even though I support a trigger weight restriction, i think it's too much of a hastle.

As for competition between the two sports, we are all shooters, brothers and sisters who like pulling the trigger and having dinner with other people of like minds who don't go HE HAS A GUN! if a shirt nslips when we lean over to get more food at the buffet .