Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Aa2200 Too Fast?

mwx40x40

I have a Colt HBAR that has always run everything I have put in it, that is , until I starting shooting 2200 Data Powder. Is it possible to shoot a powder with too fast a burn rate to work a gas gun like the AR 15 reliably?

Has anyone else experienced problems with 2200 in AR platform.

I also noticed I get neck splits quicker and have head one casehead separartion with this powder.

Obviously I will be getting away from this powder ,but was interested in others feedback.

Mark

I am running 23 grs. of Data powder 68, I believe is in the 2215 range compaired to 2200, on a 55 gr bullet. I am using a 16" DPMS barrel with the short gas system. The fast burning powder seems to soften the recoil somewhat. gun shoots flat ,getting about a 162 power factor. I get no signs of overpressure and the gun runs great.

Also check the Accurate Arms web site under the Data powder link. This powder is designed for the 7.62x39. It can be used with light weight 5.56 rounds. They do warn of issues under some conditions using the 2200 powder in 5.56. I would keep the charges in the 20.-22. grs range with a 55gr bullet

Try AA2230, or AA2520 under any .223 bullet from 50-70 grains. Both are better choices for this caliber. Both use in the 25-27 grain range under a 55er (start lower and work up, of course).

• 4 weeks later...

Thanks George. After I posted that I ended up going back almost 4 pages worth in this forum and came up with pretty much the same thing, more or less. I was guessing to work up to 25gn on the 55 and 23.5gn on the 69, so I wasn't that far off.

I appreciate it.

Edited by ken hebert