Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Which Limited Pistol Should I Buy?

Hypersonic

A Glock will not hold you back on your way to Master. "Glock Knuckle" is easily cured with a Dremel and a Cratex tip. You really don't have to remove much material to make the problem go away.

My Glock mags will hold a reloadable 20 rounds. I can get 21+1 to start. I have to chuckle when I see all this money being spent just to get one more round in a STI/SVI mag. I can think of maybe one or two stages in the last five years where I needed 20 rounds in a mag.

Here's a wild thought. Limit all mags to 20 rounds. 9mm, .40 or .45ACP. Allow 9mm to make Major in Limited. It would be a lot easier without comps and ports. Now instead of a .40 parade you would see lots of different platforms. Heck a .45 with 20 rounds might be a pretty fun gun in Limited. Of course you would have to do away with the length restriction to make a .45 hold 20.

Look at the guns used by the top half of shooters at a larger match (for LTD). Glocks and 1911 pattern guns (SV, STI, & even Paras) are the norm. There is a reason for this. It's like the Benelli vs everything else thing in shotguns. If you don't start with one you will eventually want one so just start with one even if you have to buy a used one but get Dave or Benny to check it over first (if its a 1911 pattern gun)...

Mick

A27257

I also bought an STI Edge tuned by Dawson last fall. I went ahead right away an ordered four of their tuned mags with +1 basepads and +1 followers. They all hold 19, one holding 20, but not reloadable. I have shot close to 1,000 rounds through it and I am quite happy with it compared to the Glock 35 I shot for the last two years.

post-5009-1167941599.jpg

Want to give you a couple of things to think about. I shoot a CZ75 in production and love it. My gun club has lots of rental guns and I shot both the Glock and XD before I purchased the CZ. Like you I have fairly large (wide) hands. I found my hands fit on the CZ best.

I have never gripped an STI Edge so I’m not sure how much space it has. Remember the goal is a gun that compliments your shooting. All the parts you need for a CZ/EAA are out there.

I will warn you that CZ gunsmiths are few and far between in the U.S. The best have long waits.

I shoot a 120+ person Steel match and get to see lots of equipment. It seems often top line equipment is a reflection of a persons income and net worth as apposed to shooting ability.

Don’t get me wrong. I love high quality equipment and think it adds to the appeal factor of the sport. I would much rather shoot with top line equipment if money was no object, but sadly it is.

There is definitely a feeling of satisfaction when I outshoot those with lots of money in their guns with my stock CZ.

Never blindly follow the masses because they “must” know what is best. Do your own research.

Want to give you a couple of things to think about. I shoot a CZ75 in production and love it. My gun club has lots of rental guns and I shot both the Glock and XD before I purchased the CZ. Like you I have fairly large (wide) hands. I found my hands fit on the CZ best.

I have never gripped an STI Edge so I’m not sure how much space it has. Remember the goal is a gun that compliments your shooting. All the parts you need for a CZ/EAA are out there.

I will warn you that CZ gunsmiths are few and far between in the U.S. The best have long waits.

I shoot a 120+ person Steel match and get to see lots of equipment. It seems often top line equipment is a reflection of a persons income and net worth as apposed to shooting ability.

Don’t get me wrong. I love high quality equipment and think it adds to the appeal factor of the sport. I would much rather shoot with top line equipment if money was no object, but sadly it is.

There is definitely a feeling of satisfaction when I outshoot those with lots of money in their guns with my stock CZ.

Never blindly follow the masses because they “must” know what is best. Do your own research.

You must shoot the Tuesday night steel matches at Rio Salado huh? Man, I LOVED those matches. Lots of fun, great people and no BS. I used to shoot them all the time when I lived in Tucson. Sadly, Uncle Sam made me leave Arizona for Montana in 1993 and my shooting went from two or three matches a week to one a month (if I was lucky). Phoenix is my #1 if/when I leave here...but it won't be for another two years at the earliest....long time to keep those fingers crossed;-)

Bart

1400 for a factory or very-well-known gunsmith's Edge, with some rounds thru it.

1200 would be a NICE deal for the same gun & even more rounds thru it.

Might take some patience to find deals like that but they show up several times a year, every single year. My advice: pay attention to what brand of barrel and who built the gun.

What is a decent price on a used EDGE?

I picked up my Dawson Supertuned Edge yesterday but it was too late to shoot it. I looked it over pretty well last night and it's an impressive piece. The slide/frame fit is amazingly tight, but still very smooth when cycling. The trigger is a bit heavy (for my taste) but crisp at about 3.5lbs. I'll let it break in some and then probably lighten it up to get closer to my Open gun.

Today I headed over to the range and ran a quick 150 rounds of factory stuff through it. Zero malfunctions of any kind through all of the mags. I had to make a slight sight adjustment for elevation and that was it. I didn't have the right targets with me for shooting groups, but made do with what I had. I had several groups where three were touching or nearly so and the other two were within an inch either way (and exactly where I put and called them)....this was at 25yds. I'm pretty sure that it's more than accurate enough. You can definitely feel the extra weight of the heavy barrel and longer dust cover at work as muzzle flip was noticably less than the same ammo in a Glock 22 with a tungsten guide rod. The recovery time seemed quicker as well. It's pretty early to say anything definite, but it felt good and did exactly what I expected it to. Now I just have to develop a good load for it and practice, and practice and practice. Good luck with whatever you pick!

Buy it from someone you know so you can get an idea what it is. Don't buy my used guns!

Mine get worn out fast as do allot of other high volume shooters's guns. Find someone who will let you shoot the gun before you buy it too. A buddy just bought a used Edge from a guy I know and it turned out good for both as we knew the gun's history and got to shoot it first. That buddy then bought a used SV from another friend under the same circumstances and got another reasonable deal. Most of the "shooters" are pretty good about how they sell used guns but there are some bastards out there that think they should get a mint for a used SV/STI but they usually aren't "shooters"....pawn shops etc....

Mick

A27257