Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Finally Made The Leap

Brazos SC Shooter

It is official, my addiction can no longer be denied.

I started competing, Feb 2006, in IDPA SSP because I didn't want to have to spend a lot on a gun :blink: . I then found USPSA and the Production division were my HK USP .40 could be used as well.

I started looking at all of the amazing Limited and Open guns.

After I found out my annual bonus amount this year, I made the leap and bought a Brazos Custom SC Limited gun. :o

sc_limited.gif:wub::wub:

Now I have to wait until April 15th before I get to shoot this bad boy.

Lastly I might have to update my screen name. LOL

Edited by Texas HK shooter

Bonus ? geez i seem to recall long ago what those are... feel fortunate you work for a company that still gives them out.. they are getting to become far and few in between..

Congratulations on a very nice pistol.. my best friend shoots one and he's loved it since day one.

Jeff.

Thanks for all of the comments.

I am very grateful for the company that I work for and that they pay generous bonuses. They do not believe in annual cost of living increases (3-4%/yr) but everyone in the company is in a "pay or performance" bonus plan. If you kick ass they pay. They just like every company can be pretty pety when it comes to finding ways to minizmize what they pay out but generally are pretty fair.

I am so excited about this gun. Now there are a couple of other things that I could use some advice on.

1. What new rig to get? I am leaning toward a Ghost holster but can't decide on the belt and mag holders.

2. Mags, tuned or just start with the factory S_I ones. I realize this is probably like buying a Porsche and putting Sear 100K mile snow tires on it rather than Z rated Perelli's.

I have the new .40 load as my starting place that was provided by Brazos.

Any additional input would be appreciated.

Hello: I work on Porsches for a living and can tell you to use good parts. I had some help with my setup (thanks Merlin for the holster). I use a CR speed belt and mag holders and a Gugas holster. I like the setup the first time I used it. I like the fact that you can lock the pistol in the holster. I have a Safariland 012 as well and it works very well. I like the Gugas better. Can I kill a deal or what? For sale 012 Safariland ;-). Hope this helps. Thanks Eric

Hello: I work on Porsches for a living and can tell you to use good parts. I had some help with my setup (thanks Merlin for the holster). I use a CR speed belt and mag holders and a Gugas holster. I like the setup the first time I used it. I like the fact that you can lock the pistol in the holster. I have a Safariland 012 as well and it works very well. I like the Gugas better. Can I kill a deal or what? For sale 012 Safariland ;-). Hope this helps. Thanks Eric

LOL. Tough to close a sale with a lead in like that. I certainly appreciate the honesty.

Are the tuned mags significantly better?

Tuned mags..?

It has been my experence that most mags I have bought ran just fine with factory parts. It seems to ME that it is when you simply must have the absolute most bullets you can cram in a mag that tuning has to be done. If you are shooting an S_I 140mm mag with a +1 mag base on it you can load 18 and never ever have problems. If you want 19 or 20 is when you have to pay the money....

IMHO

YMMV yada yada

.02 from me. :)

Not having competed in Limited before, does two more rounds make that big of a difference? I can't imagine that it does. Can't I buy the parts and create the extra space myself? Is it really that hard to make it them work on your own?

YMMV?? probably a dumb ? but it is new to me.

Merlin - having helped Aircooled with the holster, what is the biggest difference between Ghost and Gugas and what feature/function was most compelling in your decision.

The extra rounds are a must, when you need them! ;) If you can get 19 or 20 in a mag, you can shoot 2 arrays, with an extra oops shot or two and still reload without slide-lock.

As far as the belt... Get the CR Speed. There are others that will work, but the CR is the most rigid and will last the longest IMHO. Whatever Merlin says about the holster/mag holders is good as gold. He has been shooting this game for a long time and the company he keeps has as well. Give him or Benny a call and talk to them. They only bite on Thursdays, so make sure you catch 'em early in the week! ;) That is the best thing about this sport is that you can call the best shooters out there and they will be more then happy to chat with you about equipment. If you are thinking of shooting 3-gun, you might want to look at a Blade-Tech or Kytac for a little better retention in movement.

Mike

Oh by the way.. Helluva nice gun..

I shoot a Brazo SC almost exactly like yours. CR speed belt with the ghost holster. I got the 4 tuned mags from Bob and 3 stock ones. Two of the 3 stock will not drop free so I vote for the tuned and use the stock for dry fire. On the tuned I have the Grams base pad on one because it takes 20 rds. more easily than Dawson but is harder to clean and will crack if it hits just right on a rock or concrete. The others have the Dawsons. It is a great set up for me.

HK, I started off much the same way. Shot HK USP compact for over 2 years in Production and L-10. It is my duty gun, so I felt like the experience I was getting with it was worth what I was giving up in competition. The bug bit. I got the Brazos SC Limited in September

and "oh what fun it is." I sold my Safariland rig to buy the Ghost holster and CR speed everything else. I got the tuned mags after watching so many feeding problems in all the Open guns. Don't know if it was needed, but they sure are pretty.

Little things I've noticed:

Glocked brass that fed in the HK won't in the Brazos

A range diary is a necessity

Your friends will turn a deaf ear when you complain about how long it is taking to get your gun

When you pick it up, bring a soft cloth to wipe down all the drool from the local FFL

We'll all be waiting to hear your range reports in June :P

Hello: You asked about the tuned magazines. I had to tune all of my mags from STI. Being a tool and die maker I could not believe they were so different. The feed lips were all undersize by different amounts. I spread all the feed lips to 0.496 and polished the lips with 600 grit wet/dry paper. The mags work great now. There is a great article on this sight from our host about tuning SVI magazines. The question about the holster is that I liked the fact the Gugas holster has a locking lever were the Safariland is a friction lock. I like to help tape the targets so I was affraid the pistol would fall out of the holster and I also pick up brass. I think Merlin sold me the Gugas holster because he has too much stuff ;-). For sale Safariland 012 HaHa. Thanks Eric

Little things I've noticed:

Glocked brass that fed in the HK won't in the Brazos

A range diary is a necessity

Your friends will turn a deaf ear when you complain about how long it is taking to get your gun

When you pick it up, bring a soft cloth to wipe down all the drool from the local FFL

We'll all be waiting to hear your range reports in June :P

I was wondering about the "glock" brass issue. I have been so happy with the HK's ability to eat all brass it is fed. I noticed that when I gauged checked Glock brass, it wouldn't fit, but when I chamber checked it in the HK it all fit. Luckily the primer strike helps to easily identify them.

I figure that the "wait period" is the right of passage to the first race gun.

I appreciate all of the help and feedback everyone is providing. Please keep it coming.