Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Lasik Eye Surgery

dstroyed

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

if you are a shooter you are typically advised to not do Lasik

That doesn't sound right. My doctor was former army, did his time doing LASIK for special forces guys.. I think those guys are shooters..

I'd look into that more..

I had lasik 4 years ago. Love it, would do it over again in a heart beat, sorry I waited so long to have it done also. My doc shoots also, said not to rub eyes and to lay off shooting for a week. Good to go since then. I had the halo effect for a couple of month while driving at night then it cleared up. Never much of a problem though. After 4 years, I have a little trouble reading in low light (restaurant menus) but doc says I'm just getting old!

Mark

All right we pulled the trigger. The wife and I both set our appointments for Lasik for Thur AM. We decided on local doc, Dr. Mann at the “Mann Eye institute and Laser Center”. He has the latest greatest 5th generation Allegretto Wave machine.

Of course they could have sold me the latest greatest ”muffler bearing” had they said i needed it and it was better.

It is difficult when it come to your eye sight. We only have one pair and the minute they start selling on the best this and that the emotions kick in. You think this is no time to compromise for a few dollars I’ll take it.

I told my wife we are both very confident he is the doc of choice and we feel he offers the level of service we desire. Let’s quit talking to docs and get it booked before it gets more complicated by another opinion.

Appreciate the comments and help. I’ll keep you all posted.

:blink::blink:

From the research I've done, Dr. Mann at the Mann Eye Institute is a great surgeon and has lots of experience.

I've been thinking about Lasik for a long time but haven't ever talked myself into it.

I'm less worried about the general correction than the "side effects" or quality of vision. Sounds like folks here agree that not needing glasses or contacts makes up for these issues.

Good info. I look forward to reading more.

Update 1/4/07 8pm

Very pleasant professional experience. We arrived early 7:50am. First thing we noticed was the waiting room of about 30 chairs were all lined up facing the large wall of glass. Looking through the glass I see all the machines and two patient flat beds/chairs. My first thought is oh Sh!t everyone is going to be watching. Oh well what is there to worry about.

They do all the eye tests again. Third time now since I selected this Doc. They Numb my eyes, mark them for my astigmatism, prep me (booties, hat, etc), meet the doc, he looks at my eyes. Q&A time with doc if you have any. His bed side or room manners were outstanding. Professional, caring, confident, patient, honest and even a sense of appreciation of your trust in him. I pop my 2 valium and then relax for a few.

Nurses popped in and out every few seconds. Holly cow how many people work here. Then just a couple minutes later they said “are you ready”.

Took me in laid me down on the patient table / bed. I looked at my watch 9:00 am. They numbed my eyes again and inserted a suction cup that guides or seats the laser that cuts the cornea flap. It some how puts air bubbles under your cornea where it cuts. I don’t know exactly how it works but it was painless. There was lots of pressure downward on my eye and socket form the laser machine setting itself into the section cup on my eye. No pain just pressure.

They helped me up and guided me over to the next table. You can’t see very well at this point everything is blurry because of the bubbles behind your cornea. They laid me down. Added more numbing drops. Inserted the tool to hold my eye lid open and told me to focus on the green light, pulled my cornea flap back, everyting went totally blurred, lowered the beam and I heard a slight ringing noise and smelled burning eye ball. Several times on and off. He folded the flap back down and said can you see better now? HOLLY COW, Instantly I could see the light much more clear than before. He then smoothed the flap back out and repeated on my left eye.

Stood up in a half daze. Not sure if I should open my eyes, blink, walk, can I see, 10 million questions and emotions running through my mind. I asked can I open my eyes. “sure, can you see alright” I could see fine. Walked into the next room. Sat down and looked at my watch 9:07 am. Wow 7 minutes later...

Doc came looked into my eyes again. They put clear eye shields on me and said that is it. I went out and watched them finish my wife and then we left about 10 minutes later.

Eyes burned a little on the way home if I had them open. If I kept them closed I was fine. We both went to bed work up about 3 or 4 hours later. Slight gritty feel. Added the drops regimen and numbing drops. Fixed quick lunch, sat down and watched a movie.

Son came home and we all went out to eat dinner. It is great. I can see, she can see, no pain. So far this has been and incredible experience.

I can’t believe how quick, painless and easy all of this has been. My vision so far is just increditable. I believe my wife is experiencing the same results.

The girls at the desk that gave us our post op kits with all the drops, glasses and instructions asked if we were nervous when we arrived before surgery. I said, Heck Yea. She said cost is the worst thing about this. If you can handle that there is nothing to worry about.

I will find out tomorrow am what my vision is. It can change more over the next few months too.

Edited by dstroyed

... I had actually been in contacts so long that my eye started growing blood vessels to get more oxygen in....

I am having the same problem, had to go to ultra high oxygen difussion rated contacts.. the doc says that the little viens could cause interference with vision. The wife and I are setting up appointments soon. Since the contacts are becoming less of an option, the insurance is willing to pay for most of my Lasik, since standard glasses don't 'work' with my work, and contacts are going to f' up my eyes in ten or so years.

the wife on the other hand has perfect vision in one eye and only a bit off in the other, so she gets 20/20 for half price ;)

we both had our 1 day post op aptmnt. 20/20 for both of us. No complications or truoubles at all.

Only thing we are experiencing for now that we are told will diminish but to what extent is unknown until then is the starburst and/or halos from lights.

Best money I have ever spent!

I had Lasik done last April. I went from not being able to see the big E on the chart to seeing 20/20 but with a few issues. I have halos at night but they aren’t too bad; about as bad as they were before with glasses and contacts. The big issue is that in my left eye I see 20/20 perfectly crisp and clear. In my right I see 20/20 but a little fuzzy and it is not correctable with glasses or contacts. I’m moving to being a left eye dominate shooter because I see so much better out of that eye.

I had Lasik almost 10 years ago. By far the best thing I ever did. I have 20/20 vision, no halos or star bursts. I can understand people being a bit nervous about having it done, but once you do it, it will take you months to wipe the smile from your face.

There is just nothing like waking up in the morning and being able to see. No glasses, no contacts, no fogging glasses in the winter or sweat dripping from them in the summer.

I'm glad your results came out good. Best money you ever spent??

Of those that have had Lasik, did you have both eyes corrected for distance or blended/monovision, and what are your feelings and opinions on which would be the better choice for a shooter?

I had mono done, with the dominant eye set for near and the non-dominant eye set for infinity. I decided on this for 2 reasons -- many of the shooters here have stated how ecstatic they were having their prescription shooting glasses set up this way, and, if I ever decide I don't like it I can have my dominant eye corrected to infinity (you can go near-to-far, but not the reverse).

I've only had a short time to get used to shooting with them set like this, but so far, I like it.

Update 1/4/07 8pm

Very pleasant professional experience. We arrived early 7:50am. First thing we noticed was the waiting room of about 30 chairs were all lined up facing the large wall of glass. Looking through the glass I see all the machines and two patient flat beds/chairs. My first thought is oh Sh!t everyone is going to be watching. Oh well what is there to worry about.

They do all the eye tests again. Third time now since I selected this Doc. They Numb my eyes, mark them for my astigmatism, prep me (booties, hat, etc), meet the doc, he looks at my eyes. Q&A time with doc if you have any. His bed side or room manners were outstanding. Professional, caring, confident, patient, honest and even a sense of appreciation of your trust in him. I pop my 2 valium and then relax for a few.

Nurses popped in and out every few seconds. Holly cow how many people work here. Then just a couple minutes later they said “are you ready”.

Took me in laid me down on the patient table / bed. I looked at my watch 9:00 am. They numbed my eyes again and inserted a suction cup that guides or seats the laser that cuts the cornea flap. It some how puts air bubbles under your cornea where it cuts. I don’t know exactly how it works but it was painless. There was lots of pressure downward on my eye and socket form the laser machine setting itself into the section cup on my eye. No pain just pressure.

They helped me up and guided me over to the next table. You can’t see very well at this point everything is blurry because of the bubbles behind your cornea. They laid me down. Added more numbing drops. Inserted the tool to hold my eye lid open and told me to focus on the green light, pulled my cornea flap back, everyting went totally blurred, lowered the beam and I heard a slight ringing noise and smelled burning eye ball. Several times on and off. He folded the flap back down and said can you see better now? HOLLY COW, Instantly I could see the light much more clear than before. He then smoothed the flap back out and repeated on my left eye.

Stood up in a half daze. Not sure if I should open my eyes, blink, walk, can I see, 10 million questions and emotions running through my mind. I asked can I open my eyes. “sure, can you see alright” I could see fine. Walked into the next room. Sat down and looked at my watch 9:07 am. Wow 7 minutes later...

Doc came looked into my eyes again. They put clear eye shields on me and said that is it. I went out and watched them finish my wife and then we left about 10 minutes later.

Eyes burned a little on the way home if I had them open. If I kept them closed I was fine. We both went to bed work up about 3 or 4 hours later. Slight gritty feel. Added the drops regimen and numbing drops. Fixed quick lunch, sat down and watched a movie.

Son came home and we all went out to eat dinner. It is great. I can see, she can see, no pain. So far this has been and incredible experience.

I can’t believe how quick, painless and easy all of this has been. My vision so far is just increditable. I believe my wife is experiencing the same results.

The girls at the desk that gave us our post op kits with all the drops, glasses and instructions asked if we were nervous when we arrived before surgery. I said, Heck Yea. She said cost is the worst thing about this. If you can handle that there is nothing to worry about.

I will find out tomorrow am what my vision is. It can change more over the next few months too.

Thanks for the blow by blow expierence. I have astigmatism is both eyes. Did this proceedure correct that for you? The only red dot that has a round dot for me is the Holosight type sights. Everything else I get different shapes from both eyes. Drives me a little nuts but with 20/20 or 20/25 vision not sure this is a justifyable expense. The astigmatism correction would be nice.

Everyone I know loves their new eyes so my wife had it done. She had 100% success in one eye but the other has been a real struggle for her. Apparently her eyes are too close together and set too far into her head which is a challenge but not impossible. Makes it sound like she looks funny too doesn't? Anyway, her left eye hasn't healed like it should and has been giving her a lot of trouble. She finally got a 2nd opinion who concurred with her origional doc. It's getting better but it's been a slow process and may require another surgery. I've actually been very impressed with her doc who hasn't given up and continues to treat her for free. At this point I think we're ahead on the deal despite what it cost! I wish I knew more about it to share but just wanted folks to know that it isn't 100% and there are still some risks.

On another note, I watched the whole thing happen and could not believe it. Amazing that they can pull that off.

1 week review.

My wife has not had any side affects. Perfect vision since the op. My left eye has been perfect my right seems to blur every now and then. If I look around, blink and look back it will be in focus.

Today we had our 1 week post op. Doc said we both have 20/15. The blurry vision is due to dry eyes he said. Even if I don't feel dry put drops in and it should go away. Funny thing was I noticed that last night after drops everything was crystal clear with no in and out of focus. I will keep them good and wet from now on. He also said astigmatisms heals slower therefore it is not un usual to experience what i am. I still have some swelling in the eyes which is normal at 1 week.

All and all, I'm very happy.

On another note, I watched the whole thing happen and could not believe it. Amazing that they can pull that off.

It still Freaks me out thinking about it.

Thanks for the blow by blow expierence. I have astigmatism is both eyes. Did this proceedure correct that for you? The only red dot that has a round dot for me is the Holosight type sights. Everything else I get different shapes from both eyes. Drives me a little nuts but with 20/20 or 20/25 vision not sure this is a justifyable expense. The astigmatism correction would be nice.

I don't have very much experience with a Red Dot at all. I have a very small red dot on my AR but have not really shot it much but my experience was a lot of double dots or hallo dots with my glasses. I have not looked through it yet without glasses. I’m sure it will halo until my eyes heal a little more.

The lasik did fix my Astigmatism. My dominant right eye had it the worst.

i suggest go in for a free consultation. Just be prepared to drop some Benjamin’s after you leave if you are a candidate. It hard to resist even though it is

Oh man. I like saving money as much as the next guy but I don't know about this.

Edited by dstroyed

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
Just wondering if they can do anything yet for farsightedness. I had an evaluation a few years back and it was " so sad to bad" nothing we can do with lasik. :angry:

Hi guys,

I’m an ophthalmologist specializing in cataract and refractive surgery.

Actually LASIK has been used to treat farsightedness for over a decade now but if what you mean by farsightedness is the difficulty in reading newspapers without glasses, it’s a condition known as presbyopia.

There are lasers nowadays that can be used to treat this condition but the results have been equivocal. Most refractive surgeons are waiting to see if the technology for Presbyopic LASIK improves before jumping onto the bandwagon. There are other options aside from Presbyopic LASIK to help you read better.

Dryness after LASIK happens almost universally. So if your vision occasionally appears to blur, or if your eyelids appear heavy, just drop an eye lubricant.

Please keep in mind that the flap created by LASIK can actually be reopened by inadvertent trauma as much as 5 years down the road, (maybe this is the reason why the military prefers PRK over LASIK) so it’s very important to protect your eyes while shooting.

My 0.02 worth.

Hi Davaodoc, welcome to the forum and thanks for the reply. As for the presbyopia, I guess thats what i have. I'm all ears as to what can be done to help. I am at 3.0 readers now and 1.25 readers to shoot iron sights. Thanks, Shopgun

Hi Davaodoc, welcome to the forum and thanks for the reply. As for the presbyopia, I guess thats what i have. I'm all ears as to what can be done to help. I am at 3.0 readers now and 1.25 readers to shoot iron sights. Thanks, Shopgun

Hi Shopgun,

Other ophthalmologist might give different options / opinions but some of the non-surgical options could be:

1)setting up your prescription lenses so that the dominant shooting eye sees the front sight slightly clearer than the target, with the other eye seeing clearer at distance. This works well if the difference in prescription between the two eyes isn’t too big, otherwise you might have problems when you try to run.

2)Reversing the bifocals with the reading adds on top (I had one shooter asking for a prescription this way)

3)If you can see great for distance without glasses, wearing a contact lens only on the dominant eye, corrected for seeing the front sight slightly better, could be another option.

Some of the surgical options could be:

1)LASIK/PRK with the dominant eye seeing the front sight slightly better and the other eye set at distance. As you age though, the reading add needed to see the front sight increases. So, over time, you might notice the front sight starting to become less clear. (example, the 1.25D you need to see the front sight now will probably go higher in a couple of years)

2)Presbyopic LASIK. The laser creates a sort-of bifocal lens on the cornea itself. No large long term follow-up studies have been done on the results yet.

3)Cataract surgery with implantation of a bifocal IOL. The thing about presbyopia is that it affects people who, eventually in about ten years or so, might need cataract surgery. If you might need one in the future, ask your ophthalmologist (and insurance) about bifocal IOLs. My patients seem to be happy with them.

Hope this helps

What's the best treatment with regards to best results versus least complications? And what's the best solution for those of us with high prescriptions? (I'm -6 diopters)

- Traditional, corneal-flap creating Lasik?

- The "new" no-flap Lasik? (At least that's what I was told at the clinic is that the new technique requires no flap now)

- Lens replacement?

I'm going to get *something* done in July. I'm really tired of contacts, and my glasses are so thick that they cause me discomfort, so I'm pretty much set on dropping the dime on treatment.

thanks!

E

Edited by EricW

What's the best treatment with regards to best results versus least complications? And what's the best solution for those of us with high prescriptions? (I'm -6 diopters)

- Traditional, corneal-flap creating Lasik?

- The "new" no-flap Lasik? (At least that's what I was told at the clinic is that the new technique requires no flap now)

- Lens replacement?

I'm going to get *something* done in July. I'm really tired of contacts, and my glasses are so thick that they cause me discomfort, so I'm pretty much set on dropping the dime on treatment.

thanks!

E

It would depend on your age. If you're around 50's or older, sooner or later, you'll probably develop cataracts, so a lot of ophthalmologists would just go for a lens replacement with the placement of a BIFOCAL IOL. Using a bifocal IOL can also lessen your dependence on reading glasses. This is very safe option in the hands of a skilled surgeon.

If you're in your 40's, LASIK or LASEK/ etc would be ok. With the new machines/technology/techniques coming out, the procedure is becoming safer and safer. Undergoing traditional LASIK / LASEK / PRK etc won't rid you of your dependence on reading glasses after the procedure though

If you're 30's or younger, LASIK / LASEK would be a good choice for a -6 diopter error.

Hope this helps