Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Lasik Eye Surgery

dstroyed

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

There was a long thread on here about a year ago about Lasik and other surgeries. A wee search should turn it up. Lots of great info in that thread that has me saving my nickles and dimes.

Someday, maybe, insurance will help defray part of the cost. But I don't think I'll hold my breath.

For and extra $350 they will use a Laser to cut the cornea flap.

Cool.. that was the only thing that went close to 'wrong' with mine, I swear I could feel it cut, maybe the anesthetic didn't work all the way? It did cut a few really small veins/capillaries but the redness cleared in a day or so.

There was some guy that got sued for reusing the blades, that was pretty strange, I made a point to watch mine come out of the package.. it was about 2 weeks after that story broke..

No UT. How would I find out who those docs are?

I’m talking with 2 of the well known docs. One does the blade free and the other uses the blade. That is about the only difference I can tell, they both used FDA approved machines, etc, etc.

I have to admit I’m very skeptical / nervous about working on my eyes or SCARED may be the operative word here. I suppose I’m looking for some encouragement too.

I have read many of the old posts. I don’t see where anyone talks about their preference of blade or blade free for the cornea flap cut. This is really the only thing that I need some feed back on. If you paid extra for the blade free was it worth the extra and why in your honest opinion.

For and extra $350 they will use a Laser to cut the cornea flap.

Cool.. that was the only thing that went close to 'wrong' with mine, I swear I could feel it cut, maybe the anesthetic didn't work all the way? It did cut a few really small veins/capillaries but the redness cleared in a day or so.

There was some guy that got sued for reusing the blades, that was pretty strange, I made a point to watch mine come out of the package.. it was about 2 weeks after that story broke..

you must have typed faster that me. I did not see your post.

I have read that a few people have experienced a little pain with the blade. Many of them seem to think that same... they needed more numbing drops.

I had PRK which is a form of laser eye surgery. I was pretty pumped at first but now that it has been 3 months and it still isn't healed properly, I am kinda dissappointed. I am glad I didn't have to pay for it and won't have to pay to have it re -done either... USN!

They told me at first that it can take up to 8 wks to heal but now they are saying that it may take 6 mos-1yr!!!! Needless to say I am very unhappy with Navy doctors once again.

I know alot of other people that have had this surgery and have not had any problems with it. And also know plenty of ppl that have had LASIK done and some complain of halos at night. Go for the blade free, they should be doing that anyways.. the blade method is older and less precise because there is the human element in it.

Happy trails, just remember god only gave you one set of eyes!!

if you are a shooter you are typically advised to not do Lasik, as the scar from the cutting can reopen from the shock of shooting. PRK is typically (according to my doctor who helped pioneer both types of surgery in Canada), the one shooters, boxers, police etc, should consider getting.

I had mine done in 98 and wish I'd done it sooner. Burn the outer layer off, squeegee it (not true touchless as a result of the squeegee), do the corrective burn, insert bandaid lens and send me home. 20 minutes later and I had better than perfect eyesight in both eyes. the bandaid lens cames off a week later (I think, it's been a long time).

Someday, maybe, insurance will help defray part of the cost. But I don't think I'll hold my breath.

Insurance covers it but they have a criteria for it. They paid the surgery for my wife since she got 1200 grade each eye so she is legally blind and it is a medical necessity. she dont use eye glassess or contacts since the only complain she got is the glare when she is driving at night but she will do it again and its worth it.

I had the surgery 2 years ago. I would do it again in a second. I asked my Dr. about the Laser vs the Blade (mine was the blade) he said they both cut you, I guess the laser just seems cooler and that it might hurt less. When A friend of mine had it done they sent him home, had him take a pain pill and go right to bed. I guess they changed the rules as I had to stay awake for 6 hours before I could go to sleep. about 2 hours after my eyes started burning a little and it lasted for about another hour then wore off.

I have to say I am very pleased with the outcome. I did see starburst at night in the first frew months but they are gone now. Only drawback I have is if there is a really bright light behind someone their face will wash out a little but it is worth getting up and not having to put in contacts.

Really funny thing is that I ahd to resight in all my guns as my point of aim was adjusted after.

I would recommend the surgey and recommend that you do your research on the Dr. in my case I knew 6 people that had already had the surgey for the Dr. I went to.

Really funny thing is that I ahd to resight in all my guns as my point of aim was adjusted after.

I definately believe that. My dominant eye actually changed, right handed-left eye dominant now. I would have the surgery done without a second thought. The procedure and techniques are getting better all the time. I had lasik with the blade many years ago, surgery on Thursday evening and was riding my motorcycle on saturday morning. Mine has been wonderful and I wish I had done it much earlier.

I had custom LASIK (all-laser) last January and couldn't be happier with it. It was pricey, just short of $5k todo both eyes. Insurance didn't cover it at all but my plan got me a lower negotiated rate & I setup a flex-spending account and paid it with pre-tax dollars.

My vision was pretty bad going in, -6.5 contacts. Because my vision was so bad, I got the higher-risk warning packet which I signed-away. When going through it all, Keep in mind contacts carry a pretty significant risk too; I had actually been in contacts so long that my eye started growing blood vessels to get more oxygen in. You'll find horror stories if you look for them, I preferred to not read them or watch the procedure before hand. The procedure was painless and the happy-pills pre-op made it less un-nerving to see and smell your cornea cooked off your eye. :)

I talked to a bunch of co-workers and friends locally who all recommended the same doc. I just had my 1year checkup and my vision is still 20/15ish now. It took a few weeks to see the results, day after op I was only 20/45ish.

bp78 Thansk for the comments. I do appreciate everyones input. I have another meeting on Mon. with another doc. I will then make up my mind as to who and blad or blade free. I think I'm going to run into a challenge with the doc i like only does blade.

I am also thinking about doing this soon, but am somewhat nervous (scared) as well. I wonder how physically strong the eye will be after surgery. If I catch a bug in it while riding, or if I take a stiff punch in a fight, am I going to be blind? I would love to not put contacts in anymore, but not at the cost of a fragile eye.

I have thought about this often. Right now I can read without glasses, but need glasses to see distance. I have special glasses for shooting that focus on the distance of my front sight.

If I have the Lasik, I am afraid I will need glasses to read and also for mid distance. In other words, I am concerned about trading on correction for the other at a cost of 5k and a risk to my eyes.

Jim

I had lasic done 3 years ago and would do it again in a heartbeat. I am 40 years old and have been 20/20 since. To me, the only uncomfortable part (other than the fact that the guy who did mine was a guy a grew up with :huh:) was the suction seal on the eye. I never felt the cut. I think it is a miracle.

Funny side note - when I arrived for the surgery, my friend (who has known me since I was in kindegarten and my wife since grade school) looked at me and said, "You look a little nervous, do you want a valium?" I said, "Are you kidding?" So, the nurse brought me one. About 30 minutes later my friend came in and looked at me. He said, "They were supposed to bring you a valium, let me go get the nurse." My wife said, "He's already had one." He stopped and said, "Oh. You can't have another." :unsure: So, he said, "Lets get this over with. You have nothing to worry about." Then he looked at me and said, "I do this all the time. Really. I hardly ever mess up." I responded, "Remember, I have a lot of guns." He responded (grinning), "Yeah, but you have to be able to see to use them." They gave me a teddy-bear to hold while they did the first eye. When they finsihed the first eye, they pointed out that I almost tore the teddy bear apart. But when I realized that he finished the first eye, I was fine.

Edited by Jack Suber

According to my doc, I will always need glasses but I can go from the near coke-bottle lenses I have now to something more reasonable and lighter.

That's interesting about the PRK for shooters, etc. I'll have to check that out.

My insurance won't cover it; period. There is a specific exclusion and they also won't pay for anything they consider to be related to this surgery. I could change plans at work to get one that would cover it but then would be stuck in an otherwise horrible health plan for a year paying double the current premiums, triple the co-pays, etc. Probably be cheaper to just pay for the surgery out of my own pocket.

I had Lasik done in early 2004. From 20/600 to 20/15 in about an hour.

My doctor didn't say anything about the "eye flap while shooting" thing, and yes, he knew I was a rather avid shooter. I did not have any eye dominance problems, but I didn't have my eye dominance problems before the surgery either ;)

I'd do it again, no question about it :)

Alex

from what I remember, lasik (either blade or laser) is simply cutting the eye surface and folding back the flap. where PRK they actually burn the surface away, so it has to regrow. with Lasik they fold the flap back after the corrective burn, and it heals along the incision. This is supposedly the weak point, which is why my doctor recommended PRK.

I had mine done Oct. 28. A life changing experience that I would do again in a minute. I only wish I hadn't waited so long. I had a friend drive me as recommended, but alomost immediately realized that if I had waited 30 minutes I could have driven myself home.

Here's some of what I learned....

The bladeless laser is one of about 4 FDA-approved options. Generally your doctor will decide based on the results of the tests you take which of the lasers is right for you. The bladeless is meant for patients with thinner corneas, who would not do well with a flap cut. It also has a longer healing period and more discomfort during recovery than the other options.

The center I went to specifically recommends NOT taking Vallium before the procedure, as it relaxes muscles in the eye (along with the rest of your body). Since the success of the operation depends on you staring intently at the "aiming light" that flashes during the correction, the use of Vallium-like sedatives make it POSSIBLE (not a certainty) that your eye could wander a little. That said, if the patient is wound up enough, they will give you a pill after explaining the potential risk.

I felt only a little pressure when the flap was cut; no pain at all. But, when they folded the flap out of the way, my Wierd-Shit-O-Meter went off the scale. High anxiety. Deep breaths and some long-overdue prayer got me through the next few minutes, which did include a small whiff of something burning. A little freaky, but survivable.

I was on the table for about 10 minutes. The first 4 were to let the anesthetic drops get to work. After that, about 3 minutes per eye and it was done.

I had them do a "mono-vision" correction. Many people here have related how very happy they are with their prescription glasses set with the dominate eye focusing near (front sight distance) and the non-dominant eye set for infinity. I had them correct my eyes in this fashion. Mono is a widely recognized option, but most doctors assume setting the dominant eye to infinity and the non-dom eye up close. I explained my reasons to the surgeon and he had no problem with doing it as I asked. So far, I love it.

Within 48 hours I was 20/15 in my left eye and a little less in my right. Within 5 days they had settled to 20/15 in the left and 20/20 in the right. Depending on how much sleep I get (or didn't get) I sometimes use some inexpensive reading glasses for a while in the mornings for email and PC-related activities.

As was mentioned, there is a period of time required to let the flap cuts heal and fully reattach. My doctor understood I shoot pistols matches and would not be involved with any hard-hitting, head-jarring big game rifles or full-load shotguns. Even so, he recommended not shooting a match for a week or two, but said I would be OK after that. He also said the cuts usually fully heal in 1-3 months. In some extreme cases it can be as long as 6.

*A note about university vision centers. I was considering a local university here in Atlanta since they developed many of the bleeding-edge technologies that have become standard. A friend's wife, who is a nurse, stopped me. When she was researching her vision correction, she learned that they have a higher-than-average incident rate of post-op infection, and pointed out that those "school-based" centers use interns/students to perform the procedures. Sure, they're supervised, and I could see allowing one to learn-as-you-go with dentistry or hair styling, but not my eyes. My doctor has over 40,000 procedures behind him and is a mono-vision patient himself.

(Sorry. Didn't mean for this to be so long.)

I did PRK in Feb 06 and, after the healing process, I've been pretty happy with it. I'm healed and 20/20 in right eye and 20/15 in my left (hard to get my right eye dominant again). My tear ducts still are not firing at 100% but not a big issue except in super dry areas like Vegas.

I wasn't able to have lasik due to a soft cornea. Only thing with PRK is the healing time. Took me 3 weeks to get to 100% vision. Was very fortunate that I could work from home and take frequent breaks the first week.

I'd find a doc in your area that provides proper references and get the exam to verify whether you're a candidate. I went with a doc that not only does a ton of laser surgery but does a number of other eye procedures as well.

If you're a candidate, I'd say go for it. Totally life changing!