Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Eye Movement

wide45

As your mind/body becomes more adept at doing certain things, such as setting something down, your eyes will typically monitor the landing zone rather than watch the flight of the object. It is because you have become comfortable with the action.

Our shooting, once we are comfortable with it, should become the same way. New shooters and those of us who don't practice enough tend to follow the movement of the gun. More experienced shooters have learned that the gun is going to follow thier eyes and snap their vision to the next target.

The really neat thing about it is that this all happens on a subconcious level. If I think about it, it becomes kinda cumbersome.

And it all comes from practice and repetition.

FWIW

dj

I find that my eyes snap to where the card is going. Then as my hand is moving the cursor/card to where it is going, my eyes have snapped back to look for the next play while my hand is still making the previous play. :unsure:

Is this a good thing?? Where is my followthough? Does this explain my occasional miss on the range? :huh:

I find that I move the cursor back & forth as I read forum pages trying to find the cursor & still understand what I am reading.

When I am driving I almost never look straight down the road for more than 2 seconds at a time. But that could be because the scenery out here is awesome.

• 2 weeks later...

Watching a college round ball game last week the announcer (I think it was Billy Packer)... was talking about this player that shot great from the open floor... but only managed to make 30% of his foul shots.

Packer said.... "most guys who can't shoot foul shots watch the ball in flight rather that the basket"............ So they zoomed in on the shooter the next time he was at the line.... and sure enough he was watching the ball. His head even moved to follow the flight. Obviously this is something he doesn't have time to do while shooting from the field.

I thought that it sounded like the same issue as following the sights during transition rather than looking at the next target.

Threads like this should take off (sadly, we seem to have more interest in what powder to use to get the softest 126pf load).

:unsure:

Hey, to be fair, I just found out how lousy I'm shooting after figuring out the Type 3. It takes a long while before a finer point like eye tracking is accessible.

And, back to the focus subject, I just re-read the relevant sections in Brian's book, and now realize that I have to read the whole thing again. I simply wasn't good enough previously to understand what he was saying.

. . . I was a hell of a Type-2-for-everything shooter, though. :)

H.

Threads like this should take off (sadly, we seem to have more interest in what powder to use to get the softest 126pf load).

:unsure:

Although equipment has to be suited for the purpose, in order to take it to the next level concepts such as this need to be understood.

I can remember trying to follow the sights through a course as a beginner. It wasnt long before I learned to lead with the eyes and let the sights follow. It got to the point when I was really on that there were stages I didnt remember ever focusing on the sights. They were where I looked. That comes from repetition. Those were the days I did things like win stages with a no shoot or miss, it was just plain fast. The 97 or 98 area 4 I was 2nd to Brian by 20 points and had 11 misses and 3 no shoots. I use this as an example of uncontrolled speed. Then to go on to the next level I learned, utilizing that same speed, at the last instant to look at the sights. The misses almost went away and points increased at a negligible cost of time.

This is , at least for me, a very intense mental process. And it comes back to when I was asking my buddy Allen Ratliff what I needed to do to get better. He wrote on a piece of paper 90/10, I said whats this about. He said this sport is 10% skill and 90% mental. I thought yea right. Sorry Allen I didnt believe you at first. Sometimes those hard heads, like myself, have to learn these things on their own.

I hope somebody reading this can use it to help their own development as a shooter.

I spent (at least) the summer of my first full year going back and forth between the stance that I was learning and the stance I brought with me.

You can get there by deciding...visualizing...and practicing (dry and live fire). If I had done more of those things, it wouldn't have taken me so long.

Good luck.

Whats funny is I can remeber trying to shoot a stage and index targets looking through the lens of a tasco pdp3 scope. I figured if i kept the dot in my focus and looked through the lense it would be faster. Wrong I was. Didnt take to long to figure that one out.

Sort of like thinking to get a fast reload I had to find a way to hit the mag button without changing my grip or never let my eyes leave the target while reloading. Or to get a fast draw I had to wear the holster in the front or tense up before the buzzer. Or the endless search for the magic , no recoil, powder & bullet combination. I could go on and on.

Brian, you probably dont remember that match in Texarkana. It was the hottest I have ever been. 100 degress and 100% humidity. People passing out left & right. Going into your last stage I needed you to stumble just a little, but you didnt, rock solid as usual to hold onto the win. I learned a big lesson from you on that stage.

It was a wall where we had to run to the left side, shoot 3 targets and then go back to the right. We had to lean way out around the side. It is natural to think its faster to shoot the 3 targets as you go into the position. Problem is when you get done there is a pause as you try to pull out of the lean and shift body weight to go back. More important for me since I am so big. Doesnt mean as much to more wirey type body frames. You taught me that it is faster to go in the position/lean and get the far inside target and then work your way out. This way you can come out of the lean and shift weight while you are engaging the targets coming out.

A new shooter needs to realize there isnt always just a best way to do it that applies to everybody. Sometimes you have to adjust your strategy to your particular strengths or weaknesses. Do what works for you and not just how everybody else is doing it.

A new shooter needs to realize there isnt always just a best way to do it that applies to everybody. Sometimes you have to adjust your strategy to your particular strengths or weaknesses. Do what works for you and not just how everybody else is doing it.

A great quote that applies to all shooters, new or not.