Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

I Want A .410 O/u

GunCat

I’ve decided that I am due a .410 O/U for the occasional round of skeet and raising the aggravation level on the Sporting Clay course. Normally I’m am dedicated Beretta shooter (687 in 12ga and 686 in 28 ga) but darn it, for the price of the .410 Beretta I’ve spied (aint it cute!) I could buy 2 of the CZ Woodcock models or even 2 of Rizzini’s LX692G. And the truth is I’ll do good to shoot the .410 maybe 500 to 800 rounds per year.

I know the Beretta :wub: is a quality gun. Any opinions from those who use the CZ or Rizzini ?

Edited by GunCat

The CZ's are quite nice, I've shot a few rounds of 5 stand with one and another salesman in the office bought one for quail trips.

The Rizzini's have always had a good reputation, but have not had a consistent importer.

For the price difference, I'd opt for the CZ and you'll have factory warranty service from CZUSA to boot.

Here is the way this story ends:

You want the Beretta. It is costly. So you don't buy it.

You buy the CZ, or whatever, shoot it, like it, but tell yourself "it ain't my Beretta". But you trudge forward.

Finally, you know you must have what you wanted to buy when you bought the gun you didn't really want (but could afford more easily). At that point, 2 years have gone by...and you have invented another excuse for poor shooting (I wouldn't have missed that with my Beretta).

Talking yourself out of your first choice is good for only one thing: Ultimately owning a ton of guns-----because you will buy what you wanted, the only question is when :)

Buy the Beretta. Look at it this way: Buying the Beretta is REALLY cheaper than the CZ...because with the CZ you will need to later buy the Beretta. Tell your wife you save $600 on the Beretta. Next year you won't know what you paid.

Oh, and don't argue with me. I am a pro on this particular subject.

Unless you want to buy another gun, just because! ;) , I'd "look" at the Little Skeeter 410 "tubes". They are short and cheap, around $50 and I'm told they actually work pretty well. I believe you can buy them for your 12 or 28 gauge, depending on the weight of the 410 you want to shoot.

Something to look at anyway. "Pretty well" means for 'fun' shooting. Mixed reviews depending on what you are looking for!

Edited by Irishlad

Thanks for all the input folks.

I had talked with Briley some time ago and could get a set of .410 tubes for either my 12 or 28, but I think I want a new gun. Don't need it, just want it. Sometime when you ask a question you already know the answer. This is one of those times.

Bruce, you hit the nail on the head. Been there, done that too.

Now do I want the older DU model, or a new 687.....Decisions, decisions :blink:

I know that you stated that you want an O/u but I saw a new Remington 1100 410 Sporting Clays with a 27in barrel over the weekend - I really liked that setup and a great price. Upgraded wood, choke tubes - lot of gun for the money!

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I went looking for a 12 gauge with mechanical triggers (recoil operated triggers have to be modified to shoot .410 in a gun that was built for 12). I would have considered a Ruger Red Label but I found a used Franchi Sporting SL first. I ordered Briley Companion .410 tubes. The gun has practically no recoil (feels like .22LR) and has better weight and balance with the tubes.

• 8 months later...

I agree, buy the Beretta and eliminate any and all problems up front. If properly cared for it will outlast you and who ever you leave it to. I screwed around thinking about buying a 687EELL .410 and by the time I called back a day and a half later it was sold.

Check out Cole Firearms, he used to have smaller gauge barrels for the 686 (.410 on 28g frame).

Unfortunately its about $750 for barrel and fitting-but worth it in the long run.

Unless you're planning on getting another safe... :blink:

Check out CDNN, I bought a nice little Rizzini about six months ago for IIRC $900.00 and like it better than my friend's Browning. It looks great, shoots great, too.

Regardless, listen to these guys who say not to buy the cheapies. You won't be satisfied, you won't get much out of it when you trade or sell it and you'll still pay for the quality gun in the end.

Bob

While growing up, the husband of one of my relatives was my first gun mentor. I have yet to find anyone who has as many guns as him. I learned more from him as a kid then anyone else. He had only one 'gun-truth': Always buy the more expensive gun when unsure (I'll skip the caveats here, there were a few and not relevant to this discussion). It boils down to resale value and quality. Can't fake the quality, and quality costs.

I think once you start shooting that 410 and busting clays with it you will think that you are a stud when it comes to shooting clays. Almost every time you want to go shooting you will want to shoot that little gun and feel like a stud again. So you should just buy the gun you really want, the Beretta, and have fun shooting it, because you will shoot it more than you think. :):cheers:

The 410 is WAY cheap to reload for, if you have a reloader you will end up shooting it more than you think. Believe me on this. I own a cheap 28ga and now I wish I would have gotten the Browning Cynergy I really wanted.

Scott