Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Ar Optics Suggestions?

Steve Koski

I got a Rock River 16" flat top, quad rail free float tube, no front or rear sight.

What kind of sights/optics should I slap on this to be reasonably competitive for 3-gun? My budget is about $500 at present. I can spend more, but would have to save for a while (and will if it's worth it).

Thanks,

Koski

P.S. I have a Tasco Pro Point 30mm red dot sitting forlornly in the safe right now, but the dot is pretty big (maybe 5-10 MOA - I'm not sure), perhaps better suited for pistol distance shooting. How could this fit into the equation?

Edited by Steve Koski

It all depends on where you are. Here in the East a dot is fastest on most courses, out West some magnification in handy although some are winning out to 300 using an EOTech.

Stick your dot on and go shooting, try out others at matches and see what is winning where you are.

It all depends on exactly how big your dot is and how far / what kind of targets you will be shooting at. I wouldn't want to shoot 12" or smaller plates at 200-300 yards with a dot that's 8 or 10 MOA...you would never see the plates, even with a hold over.

That ProPoint would be fine for up-close/mid-range rifle work. I had one on my first pre-ban rifle and it worked for years with no problem....as a matter of fact, a friend of mine is still running it to this day....it's got to be over 12 years old !!!

I mounted up the old Tasco Pro Point. It puts a nice 4 MOA dot on the target, as nice as any of the non magnified Aimpoints around (probably not as durable though).

I was smacking man size targets with ease out to 200 yards. A 10" target at 200 gave me about 2 misses in 8 shots. Damned dot basically covers the whole target.

I'll keep my eyes pealed for the next step up.

There is a LOT written about this, and there's good advice above.

IMO, hard to beat a variable powered scope with a good FOV.

Meopta had a good scope for close to your price range, but you'd need to save a bit. Glass is very clear, I'm fast getting addicted to mine.

Mueller was developing one, been dormant for a while, but on AR15 occasionally there's a comment made and it might not be dead (yet).

Leopold has a 1-3x. I think there is a few others.

Best bang for the buck is the prodiamond turkey scope by simmons. It's 1.5 to 5x, and it's got a cult following. I've got 2, and can't bring myself to sell them as they are worth more to me than I'd likely get offered!!

I like the leupold shotgun 1-4 power scope. It has heavy duplex which is fine for up close blasting and fine reticle in middle for precision work. Good eye relief, field of view and cost is about $180.00. I checked out the $500 leupold and couldn't see any advantage worth the extra money. Now it ain't as rugged as my ACOG and glass is not as good but it is faster up close and eye relief is not as critical.

• 3 weeks later...

I am using a Nikon 3.3-10 . I havent got to use it up close but at 50 yards and out didnt seem to have any trouble keeping up with anyone . am thinking a 2-7X33 might work better simply because I use this rifle out to 5 or 600 yards . Nice thing about my 3.3-10 is that it has Mil-Dots so I can use Mil Dot holdovers on the far away stuff . Maybe I just need to mount some sights on the darn thing somewhere for the up close and personal stuff .

The only problem you might encounter with a shotgun scope is parallex. The shotgun scopes are set at 50 or 75 yards depending on the make.

I use an Eotech but a friend has the Leupold 1-3 variable that I shot and it was nice without breaking the bank. I used a Simmons shotgun scope at the AMU 3 gun this year and did not like it. If I go back to a variable it will be the Meopta or the new Leupold 1-5 they had on display at Ft Benning. It can be ordered with customized reticles.

Edited by Jaxshooter

Is the new Leupold a true one power? I currently have the 1.5-5x20 w/ circle dot reticle, and while it's not bad moving from target to target up close... it takes a bit of getting used to. I'm really considering trying out one of their other 1x variables, specifically the VX-II 1-4x20mm.

p.s. Currently Leupold's illumination is not the brightest. My 1.5-5 is illuminated, and I can't see it outside, unless it's VERY cloudy. Flip the front cover closed for BAC, doesn't really work on a sunny day. Scope is very clear though, and I don't regret the purchase.

Edited by ken hebert