Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

.223 Bullets

Sudden Death

I am starting in the multi-gun stuff I was wondering has anybody tried the 55g FMJ in Remington and Winchester they are cheep something like $6.00 a hundred most of 3 gun stuff is up close probaly would not matter much but sometines they throw in a few long ones so do you guys think these bullets would be good to use out to 200 yards ?

I use a bulk Hornady 55gr boat tail FMJ that goes sub-moa in most of my AR's.

Anything 55ish with a boat tail rather than a flat base will perform better in the wind at 200+ especially if you don't push-em downrange at up near 3200fps.

If you've got a 1:8 barrel then the Sierra 77gr buck the wind even better than the 69gr loads and can still be fed from the magazine. Keep the long range loads in your shooting bag and know your zeros. The bulk 55gr will be 95% of your shooting but it's nice to have a long range load on hand if needed.

I've been using the Winchester 55's only.. until now.

The W55's group fine at 100, at 200 it goes out to 3+", while the 68/69s (Hornady or Sierra's) group about 1.5" at 200yd. So I'm adding those to the mix for the longer shots. I really want to see the difference at 350-400. But, just wild guess extrapolating.. the 55's would miss a plate at the longer yardage.

A good match grade 55 would probably be fine, but the heavier ones should help with the wind too...

If I only shot matches < 200.. I'd use the cheap 55's and never look back.

If you've got a 1:8 barrel then the Sierra 77gr buck the wind even better than the 69gr loads and can still be fed from the magazine. Keep the long range loads in your shooting bag and know your zeros. The bulk 55gr will be 95% of your shooting but it's nice to have a long range load on hand if needed.

He is right about the 77's. It's just that I have a 1:9 barrel and for some reason that gun just loves 69's.

If you push the 69's 2750-2800fps+, they buck wind just fine at 3-400 yards for our sport. Yes, the 75-77's will do it better out there, but the good ole' SMK69 does just fine when it has some V on it. I useta' use it for across the course NRA High Power Rifle back in the 80's (all that was available then) and it shot sub MOA at any distance till it went sub-sonic, it just drifted a tad, that's all ;-)

Unless you are willing to work-up loads and the Remingtons just shoot better in your rifle I would pick the 55 Winchester. The Win are FMJ boat tails. The boat tails make them a lot easier to reload than the non-boat tail Remingtons. The curve in the back of the bullet helps when placing them into the case. The Remingtons "scrunches" when I seat them.

My 20" DPMS likes them with A2230C. ~.75-1 MOA. My 16" 1x9 and 17" 1x8 don't like the same load as much at ~1.5-2 MOA.

IMHO plenty good enough for up to 350+ yards.

I made the mistake of picking up 2k of the Remington flat based bullets, when I load those, I have to chamfer the case mouth and be careful to not pinch my fingers. I just picked up a boat load of pulled and sized 55 fmj-bt's and they were a dream to load. I'll eventually use the Remingtons, but um, I don't have to for a while now :D

Vince