Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Old School Remington 3200

DanM

I was FINALLY allowed to have this by my Grandfather. Out of all the guns in the safe, this is the one I really wanted. He's in not so good a shape and decided that he'd like me to have it. Sadly, he can't remember where he had the single barrel made. Can anyone point me to the What, Why, and Where on this barrel? I've heard one theory for the high rib was to reduce heat mirage off the barrel. Pretty much all I know about it is that he won a couple of state championships with it and more silver than the Queen has B) I also have the original double barrel. NFS ;) It's a ton of fun to shoot and pretty much everyone goes "WTF?" when they see it.

TrapGun.jpg

TrapGun004.jpg

TrapGun003.jpg

Edited by DanM

Nice old school trap gun you have there. I started out with a 3200 O/U for ATA doubles back in 1980. I knew several shooters at the time that had single barrels made for the 3200. I believe Simmons Guns made most of them and I'm pretty sure that is a Simmons rib on your gun. As to the "Why" of the high rib, it is true that a higher rib reduces the amount of heat waves off the barrel. However, the most important reason for the unsingle barrel is because the trigger group is non-selectable, meaning it will only fire the bottom barrel first, then reset for the top barrel. In 1981 I had a Perazzi made up similar to your combo, with a MX-8 O/U barrel and frame and a Grand American Unsingle barrel fitted to it. I shot the O/U for ATA Singles and Doubles, and the Unsingle for Handicap. I scored my first 200 straight in singles and made the 27 yard line in handicap with that gun. I don't shoot much trap any more, but it's still fun to talk about it and your gun brings back a lot of memories!

I'd bet on Simmons also.

On that gun, 3200s are very good guns IMO, the rib "appears" to be very high because the top barrel has been cut. So, to give you a "sighting plane" they had to increase the height of the rib, no top barrel after a point , to match the comb height on your stock. The stock "appears" to be a standard 3200 monte carlo stock...give or take. I'd suspect the true height of the rib, directly over the top barrel, that still exists, is similiar to your other barrels?

In addition to what greg jones said about high ribs, the "intent" of "higher" ribs, along with higher stocks, is to keep your head more erect which increases your field of vision so you are not trying to look through your "eyebrows". Popular confiquration for some sports that always have rising targets.

Nice gun and have fun! ;)

Wow. That's a very unique trap gun. It begs to be shot. Go have fun with it on a trap range.

Oh, believe me, I will! ;)

Thanks guys. What sucks is my Grandfather does remember THROWING AWAY the release trigger :(:( Anyone have a 3200 release trigger? Now if I could just find a Ljutic Spacegun for sale :wub:

• 5 weeks later...

...might be a Simmons single-barrel conversion...could also be a Stan Baker job, as he did those for a while, and you ARE in the PacNorthwest, where he was...there also was an outfit in Canada, of all places, that did the single-barrel conversions on over-unders for a while...can't remember their name...a friend HAD one, but I doubt he'd appreciate a phone call at THIS hour!!!....mikey357

Edited by mikey357