Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

This Is Freaking Me Out !

BritinUSA

Click on this link and follow the instructions. Don't ask me how it works.

Wizardry

There are only a limited number of answers to the equation - all of them have the same symbol which just cycles each time you try it...

I think you got it. All numbers are 9 or divisible by 9 and all have the same symbol with each seperate batch cooked up. It took me a few to get it. I follwed the directions wrong at first (you know me and directions). Magic solved. I think?

:o Ok ! Ok ... So like do the math wrong and or look at the wrong # and it will allmost allways go back to the first pick :unsure:

Here is another one. I figured the one above out a while back, but I cannot, for the life of me, figure this one out.

7-up puzzler

click on the little dude in the lower right corner to move from screen to screen.

dj

:D I like this one ... :wacko:

( 10A+B )-( A+B )=9A, therefore, the result is always a multiple of 9.

Here is another one. I figured the one above out a while back, but I cannot, for the life of me, figure this one out.

7-up puzzler

click on the little dude in the lower right corner to move from screen to screen.

dj

This one is actually fairly easy - just Google for "Casting out 9s". Since the two numbers being used have the same digits, they have the same modulo 9 remainder on the sum of digits, so the difference in this remainder is 0. From this it follows that the sum of the digits of the number remaining must be a multiple of 9 (sum recursively and you will always end with 9).

For example, if you have 7654-4657, the result is 2997. 2+9+9+7=27, 2+7=9

Therefore, if you are only given 2, 9 and 9, the remaining digit to leave a remainder of 0 modulo 9 is 7.

Click on this link and follow the instructions. Don't ask me how it works.

Wizardry

Very clever, but simple. There are only 9 possible answers, all multiples of 9. They are 9, 18, 27, 36, 45, 54, 63, 72 and 81. If you look at the symbols for these 9 numbers, you'll find that they're the same for each one of them. The symbol that represents them changes each time you play, but it always changes to the same symbol for those nine numbers.

Very cool.

( 10A+B )-( A+B )=9A, therefore, the result is always a multiple of 9.

This one is actually fairly easy - just Google for "Casting out 9s". Since the two numbers being used have the same digits, they have the same modulo 9 remainder on the sum of digits, so the difference in this remainder is 0. From this it follows that the sum of the digits of the number remaining must be a multiple of 9 (sum recursively and you will always end with 9).

For example, if you have 7654-4657, the result is 2997. 2+9+9+7=27, 2+7=9

Therefore, if you are only given 2, 9 and 9, the remaining digit to leave a remainder of 0 modulo 9 is 7.

I'm sorry Rob, it really looks like English you are writing there, but I can't seem to get it. Then again, math is a language I have never been fluent in. :D

I'm sorry Rob, it really looks like English you are writing there, but I can't seem to get it. Then again, math is a language I have never been fluent in. :D

How to solve the 7-up problem:

1. Let X represent the number you provide to 7-up.

2. Let Y = the sum of the digits of X

3. If Y>9 then: Let X=y, and go to step 1

4. Your result is 9-Y

For example, if you give 7=UP the number 87456

1. X=87456

2. Y=8+7+4+5+6=30

3. Since Y>10, X-30, go to step 1

1. Y=3+0=3

4. Results=9-Y=6

Missing digit is 6.

• 4 weeks later...

7-Upuzzler

It says to start with a 3 or 4 digit number. It doesn't require but suggests to use different digits.

If you use the same digits to start i.e. 222 or 5555 this will not work because when you perform the first reorder and subtract you will have 0 as an answer.

Years ago when I was an auditor and had to run long adding machine tapes to verify totals in computer print outs or manual spreadsheets, if you adding machine total did not tie out to whatever the total was that you were trying to verify, the first thing that you would do would be to calculate the difference and if the difference was divisible by 9 odds were you transposed a number when you entered into the adding machine.

A transposition or even multiple transpositions in a series of additions is always divisible by 9.

69+72+73=214

96+72+73=241

difference =27 which is divisible by 9

69+27+37=133

difference=81 which is divisible by 9

Edited by sjz

Not related to original thread but this is the freakiest math thing I have seen on the net.....

Yeah, quantum mechanics predicts some strange things.

One of my profs in a grad level quantum mechanics class was trying to explain to us how a 360 degree rotation was not "truly" symmetric, but a 720 degree rotation was. (It sure seems that if you turn something around 360 degrees on any axis, you get it back to it's orginal orientation, but it's not "truly" symmetric :D )

Prof says, imagine a chair suspended in the middle of a room with rubber bands connecting to the wall, ceiling, and floor. If you spun the chair by 360 degrees, and were somehow able to hold it in that position, you would not be able to untangle the rubber bands (so that they were not wrapping around each other) without detaching them from either the chair or it's anchor point on the wall / ceiling / floor.

But, if you spun it an additional 360 degrees, to get 720 degrees total, you WOULD be able to untangle the rubber bands without detaching them. :huh::blink: