Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Hornady Lnl Ap

Lee

In their 2007 catalog Hornady offers a powder drop case expander sleeve. It would allow moving the Lee die to 4th position and have more room to deal with ejection problems. I at this time use the lee die in the 5th station with it being ground off at the bottom and works great, but I only load for 45ACP at this time.

In their 2007 catalog Hornady offers a powder drop case expander sleeve. It would allow moving the Lee die to 4th position and have more room to deal with ejection problems. I at this time use the lee die in the 5th station with it being ground off at the bottom and works great, but I only load for 45ACP at this time.

I think they really need to "re-evaluate" the whole system on how they've got this loader setup. I posted earlier this week in a separate post about my confusion about having no fix for these problems. I wouldn't think it would be that hard to add a "better" ejector with the new base-plate of the L-n-L (the one for the case feeder).

• 1 year later...

I think they really need to "re-evaluate" the whole system on how they've got this loader setup. I posted earlier this week in a separate post about my confusion about having no fix for these problems. I wouldn't think it would be that hard to add a "better" ejector with the new base-plate of the L-n-L (the one for the case feeder).

I know this is an old thread but a fix is coming out in Jan 2009 as the new design for the ejection system is on Hornadys website...the bad news is it will cost you $100 for the press upgrade and up to two shellplates and $10 each additional shellplate. Download the manual for the LNL AP press now and see the change the the ejection system.

Bummer. I just got a LNL a few months ago. I don't have any ejection problems yet, but I am using the Hornady crimp die in the last position.

If you are correct about the price, it isn't a bad deal (for me). I don't own all the shell plates I want. Normally the shell plates are $40 each. If I can get the retrofit kit and 4 plates for the cost of 3 of the old plates, I'd do it.

Then, all I need to do is get a friend with a lathe to add the groove to my existing shell plate.

However, if I had already owned all the shell plates I need, it would really suck to replace them all.

Of course, there is still a question of how reliable the new ejection system is...

Jeff, if your LNL is working fine now then I certainly wouldn't rush to make the ejection change and might just keep it as is long term. At first, they're requiring press to be sent in for conversion. Later, they will sell the new subplate for home installation. From what I've seen, it will be a relatively simple change to install and you'd save shipping costs plus downtime with no press. The new shellplates will work with either ejection system.

I'm not sure you'd be able to mod old plates on a lathe, they're hardened and have plastic inserts holding the 2 detent balls. In the past, I had two new plates that were warped from the heat treatment and QC let them go. I'd recommend exchanging for the new plates if you change the subplate; $10 each isn't bad. I have an unsupported hunch that Hornady will use this change as an opportunity to slightly alter the dimensions of the shellholder slots for better case fit and easier ejection.

• 2 weeks later...
Here is plans on another board that solves the .38/9mm ejector problem. Hope that helps. Link

BTW. You have to be signed up to view pics and plans.

If you have your model with the wire working good I would not rush out and spend $100 to get the ez ject installed on your model. Think about this. It is designed to eject the case and if it does that, that is all you need it to do. I have the ez ject model and because they sent me the wrong shell plate the ez ject would not work. It would bind the press up. As you can see, I kind of wish I had the wire. At least I know I would be reloading now and not have to wait. Hopefully all is well.

Here is plans on another board that solves the .38/9mm ejector problem. Hope that helps. Link

BTW. You have to be signed up to view pics and plans.

I tried this as soon as I saw it. I do believe that it will work with the right gauge wire. I used a coat hander as suggested which was just too large. I want to try it again once I get time with 14 or 16 gauge wire, whatever the stock wire thickness is.

Here is another link for Handloads.com members.

http://forums.handloads.com/forum_posts.as...KW=ejector+wire

I am using the 45 ACP specific shell plate #45 and the stock wire as is and polished smooth. I get perfect ejection every time with this setup. 38's are a much different story as rimmed cartridges will hang up on the wire itself quite often.

Edited by 20nickels