Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Glock Competitors, I Need Some Suggestions

madmike

I'm returning to Action Shooting after a few years off (work related). When I shot previously I did so with loaner guns, but have just purchased a G-35 which will become my own Action Shooting tool.

I've got requisite inner/outer belt, but all my prevous Action Shooting experience has been with a nylon holster. I've read as much info online, and I'm down to two... the Blade Tech DOH, or the Ghost.

My skill level... I've shot under 10 matches total and I'm a D/C level shooter. I'm not looking for that extra 10th of a second that will push me into GM. I'm looking for a good holster that I won't have to replace in 6 months once I've gained some more experience. That said, the shooting geek in me loves the ghost holster, but my practical side says it's twice the price of the DOH.

Any suggestions?

I'm shooting USPSA sanctioned Limited/Limited 10. I'm not interested in shooting Production, so that is not an issue.

While we're on the topic, what is the mag holder of choice for the Glock competitor?

Thanks!

madmike

I like my CR Speed mag holders, and I can use them for my STI mags or my Glock mags by simply changing out the inserts.

As for holsters, I have a Comp-Tac holster for my Glock (production legal, IDPA legal) and a Safariland 012 holster for my STI. I would like to get a ghost or something for the Glock, but I see no need as it is nothing more than a backup gun for me in Limited.

If you have no intentions of playing around in Prod, go with the Ghost. Once you are comfortable with that holster, you shouldn't have much to worry about.

+1 for CR Speed Versa Max mag pouches. They come with inserts that will allow you to put virtually any type of mag in them...not to mention adjustable cant and such.

I switch back and forth between Production and Limited, and use the same setup for both on my G35. I have a Comp-tac belt holster and the same for mag pouches. I have them in 'production legal' position and just leave them there. When I get to the level that position of my holster is keeping me from winning major matches, I'll let you know. ;);)

-Mike

I use the Blade Tech for my Glocks and a couple other platforms, I LOVE them. I have a CR Speed for my STI Limited gun and honestly if it wasn't free I wouldn't be using it, well it has one more advantage and that is it shows off my pretty gun very nicely!!

I am JUST as fast out of the BT and probably faster from it than the race holster, it is secure, it costs half of what a race holster does, and the only downside is a pretty gun is covered up when in it. Not too big of a downside with a Glock.

The BT holster will not hold you back at all, the extra money of a race holster would be well spent on ammo or better yet instruction.

I use Safariland 771 or 773 mag holders for most of my guns. For $25 each they are awesome, and they won't hold you back either. For production and L10 you want at least 4 and 5 would be better. That gets into a good sized chunk of money with more expensive mag holders that really don't represent a competitive advantage IMO.

Get some GOOD gear, at the best price you can, and practice. It will make a WOLRD more difference than the superwhizbangwhatever gear that looks really cool.

I forgot to say that I use the DOH (although I am a Prod shooter) and love the holster. You will save money going with the BladeTech, but if you are itching for the Ghost...you're going to end up buying it sooner or later.

If you think you might EVER get into 3-gun, get the DOH. Even if 3 gun doesn't interest

you, it's not a bad choice. I kick it 1 notch muzzle forward, which sets the backstrap of the grip parallel to the top of the belt. If it's slower than my CR Speed it's not slower by

much.

Bill

G17 Open

G35 Lim/Prod.

625 Rev.

1911 SS/L10

I started with a Blade Tech DOH and have just in the last month switched to the Ghost, its a great holster

The mag holders I'm using now and very pleased with...don't laugh are the JR Holster brand with double rollers, they are cheap and have taken a ton of abuse but still function perfect.

Spankymac

Get the Ghost for sure. Match it up with some 773s.

Good you're only looking for a 10th, as that's all you're going to get (if my experience means anything).

So far I still haven't run into a situation where my high dollar Guga Ribas has been better than the Ghost. Of course that's for my Para Limited gun, but I think the Ghost is a great race holster.

Go with either one ... you can't chose wrong. They each have their own + / -

DOH is good for Prod. and is very secure (no DQ worries) in any division. It can be adjusted to hold firmly, or be as slick as anything in the "race holster" class.

Ghost is great once you get used to it, but be careful in the beginning and you'll have nothing to worry about. Sometimes spending an extra $50 or $100 isn't always a bad thing. ;)

• 2 months later...

I use a Blade-Tech for IDPA and either the CR or Blade-Tech for USPSA depending on the mood I'm in and to be honest, I don't notice a big difference between any of them. I use Kytac mag carriers.

If your going to be a USPSA only type of shooter and just want a race-holster, I'd go with the CR.

• 2 weeks later...