Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Rem 1100 Or Win Sx2

texaschase

I recently had to make this decision as my budget is not ready for a tricked out Benelli for 3-gun (maybe next year... gotta get a new limited pistol and AR before another shotgun.)

After shooting other people's shotguns and doing some research, I went with the SX2 practical. If you are shooting tactical or limited division, its good to go. You don't need any aftermarket items, unless you like to load off side saddles (which I don't.) Side sadddles are available for the gun. Also, some of the local shotgunners feel that of the two, the SX2 seems to last longer vs the 1100. A couple guys in our clubs "action shotgun" league have been running SX2s for a few years without major issues. I will find out if they are right soon. :) For me, the SX2 pointed easier and just felt better in my hand. I don't think the .02-.03 lock time difference is meaningful, but the SX2, to me, felt a lot better. Granted this is a completely subjective judgement.

That said, if I was going to shoot open, the 1100 would have been my first choice, as the aftermarket item issue is a concern.

Edited by baa

Anything but SX2 - I bought 2 months ago and have put about 20 rounds through it - total failure - been at Winchester's service center for 8 weeks now. Latest word was after another "minor repair" they were now waiting for parts to replace the barrel. Funny, it being a service center you would think they have a few spare parts laying around. Apparently not. I know I'm in the minority here but my Winchester SX2 Practical MKI in partcular flat stinks.

-Mike-

I'm in the same dilemma. I'm one gun short of a 3-gunner. Bennelli looks so nice but then my dad isn't Bill Gates. I shoot limited. Looks like you guys (sans bisonresq) have convinced me to go Winchester.

The Gander in St. Cloud had one of the Winchester practical models last week. I don't remember if it was the rifle sighted one or the one with the ghost rings. Brand new, I believe. It's probably still there.

Mine still works. Bought the X2 MK I in 02 and took it to N. Mtn. Eric Lund still lived around here & I let him and about 5 others run their ammo through it. No problem. Did 3 or 4 of the 3guns at NRA (gun does not like: Fiocci lo recoil buck or strangely - any Winchester ammo - but it loves Federal & Rem incl low recoil). Did 10 or more indoor 3 gunshoots at Shooters Paradise & another 5 or 10 in Area 8. Took it skeet shooting 5 or 6 times & got 2 light strikes - so I added a Wolff hammer spring. Then I lent it to a friend for a shotgun only class he took at Blackwater - 1000+ rounds. Said the cops who showed up had lots of extra ammo - incl slugs - so he took all they would give him. He also said the cops complained a lot about their sore shoulders.

Recently, it sometimes does release an extra round onto the carrier which prevents topping off between arrays - but it does not jam the gun.

And it still keeps on running.

I used to own an 1100 for hunting. It jammed a lot more. The X2 has stopped up on a few occasions & usually due to ammo - but nothing like all the jams w/ the 1100. ANd nothing breaks on the X2.

SX2 all the way. It comes ready to go out of the box. I have never had any issues with mine after around 3000 rounds. I replaced the Benelli with it. It is really soft and fast.

The only thing better is a tricked out Browning Gold

Edited by Sestock

SX2 all the way. It comes ready to go out of the box. I have never had any issues with mine after around 3000 rounds. I replaced the Benelli with it. It is really soft and fast.

The only thing better is a tricked out Browning Gold

+1

I love my Gold...But if your not willing to work with the springs, get the SX2. Almost the same gun except for the speed load.

Scott

I started this thread on Monday. Monday night, I found a near mint 1100 CM for sale locally for $600. (The guy shot it one time - put three shells through it and got into bench shooting.) Needless to say, I bought it on Tuesday night. Its ready to go right out of the box... and I can't wait to take it out tomorrow.

So how did it shoot Texaschase?

Soft recoil, easy handling, very nice... except for a couple of jams. A couple of times, after the gun had fired, it didn't extract the shell. I've heard of this happening with reduced loads (whatever they may be) and when the 1100 is new.

So... if anybody has any suggestions, I'd gladly listen. Does anybody know what kind of loads the 1100 likes? Can I do anything (lube or clean parts) to help this?

Thanks

BTW, I took the gun almost completely apart last night to clean/lube. It was fun. :)

BTW, I took the gun almost completely apart last night to clean/lube. It was fun.

If this is your first 1100 then a festive goodwill warning about getting your fingers inside the frame just below the ejection port - there is a strip of metal on the side of the bolt rails that is 'razor' sharp and will open your fingers like a scapel - have a good look inside the frame on the rails and keep your fingers well away !! Anyone who has owned a Remmy has been bitten by this and it hurts !!

Well done and good luck with your new toy and Happy Christmas !

Soft recoil, easy handling, very nice... except for a couple of jams. A couple of times, after the gun had fired, it didn't extract the shell. I've heard of this happening with reduced loads (whatever they may be) and when the 1100 is new.

So... if anybody has any suggestions, I'd gladly listen. Does anybody know what kind of loads the 1100 likes? Can I do anything (lube or clean parts) to help this?

Thanks

BTW, I took the gun almost completely apart last night to clean/lube. It was fun. :)

Lots of oil and cycle about a case of 1 1/8 oz. heavy loads before you judge it too much. The remmy's need breaking in. And did I mention lots of oil? :)

Mike

Thanks

there have been other threads on the subject but run it wet. The outside of the magazine tube needs to be clean of any carbon build up and well lubricated.

Like Mike said, shoot a case of heavy loads like AA Superhandicap throught it. Heck, gives you an excuse to shoot trap :)

Took it out again, for the second time today, and shot 2 boxes of 3 1/4 dram #8. (Just shot some skeet to break it in a little.) Didn't have one hiccup. Performed flawlessly.

I think when it did jam that first time, they were light loads (2 3/4 dram) and it was straight out of the box.

So far, I really like this gun. Very manageable recoil, relatively light weight, lots of info out there on it... and it looks pretty cool too. :D

And it sure is a heck of lot more affordable than a Benelli!