Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

The Price Of Lead Shot

JD45

Our club used to get it cheap. We all complained when it went from 13.80 to over 15.00 a bag three years ago.

Today the price jumped seven dollars to 26 bucks a bag! Primers are also out of sight.

If you have the cash now would be the time to buy all of the cheap factory loads left in the country. It just doesn't pay to reload light 12ga. shells anymore.

Well then I'm happy I picked up 500# of #9's a few years ago, I just wish now that I picked up 7.5's in the same order as I use those more these days. I guess I'll be stocking up on another few hundred pounds this week if the price is reasonable.

Vince

So what you are saying is that those few bags of #7 I bought five years ago to use as weights for my wife's halloween props are now worth real money? Hot damn, we are eating steak tonite!!!

Seriously though, I always thought that shotgun reloading had the least financial return and with current prices buying your ammo at Dicks or somesuch makes a lot of sense.

So what you are saying is that those few bags of #7 I bought five years ago to use as weights for my wife's halloween props are now worth real money? Hot damn, we are eating steak tonite!!!

Seriously though, I always thought that shotgun reloading had the least financial return and with current prices buying your ammo at Dicks or somesuch makes a lot of sense.

I was away from shooting sports for about 15 years untill my recent return. Back then I used to shoot trap and loaded my own shells. I was a poor college student and it did make financial sense. Once I started shooting again I looked at reloading shotgun shells and it simply did not make any sense at all. By my accounting it would actually cost me more to reload than to buy ammo on sale at Dicks.

The thing about shotshell reloading is, I don't load to be economical anymore, I load because they don't offer what I want. It's tough to find a 1 ounce load of 4's for 12 gauge that'll do 1300 fps. It's difficult to find a 12 gauge 7/8 oz load of 7 1/2's that'll do 1400 fps locally. I have recently found that S&B makes a 3 1/4 dram - 1 1/8 - 7.5 load that I like for 3-gunning. I picked up a couple cases.

The other side of the coin is most of the cheapy ammo utilizes soft shot. Soft shot = inconsistent patterns. The other thing is, I'm in deep as far as shotshell loading goes. I have all the components for thousands of rounds, I may as well use em up. I still wish I'd bought 7.5's instead of 9's. I did pick up 100# of 7.5's over the summer. I got the harder high quality shot, and intend to use it for my 20 gauge 870.

If I have the time, I'll reload. If I don't and I don't need anything special, I'll pick up a case of Rio's or S&B's. I was happily surprised to find a local place that had an ounce of 6's in 20 gauge that cost the same as 7/8 ounce of 7.5's.

Vince

The thing about shotshell reloading is, I don't load to be economical anymore, I load because they don't offer what I want.

Vince

I hear you vince. I load a reduced recoil 12 pellet OO buck load that I can't buy. I also cast and reload my own slugs and OO buckshot and load it for much cheaper than it costs to buy it.

Another thing I load for blasting steel plates is reclaimed shot which I got really cheap. I figure it it a waste to use nice new shot when I am blasting steel.

Neal in AZ

9 pellet buckshot of what size? In the 20 gauge, you can't load 9 pellets of 00 in a 2 3/4" shell. The largest Buck size I've ever seen loaded commercially in a 20 gauge has been #2 buck and more commonly #4 buck. I can and have loaded 00, 0, 1, and 4 buck in the 12 gauge. Ballistic Products has a Slug and Buckshot manual in which they have tailored loads for the specified sizes and shells. I tend to like #1 buck as I can load 12 of those using the same data as 9 - 00's. They are the same weight and the 1's aren't that different (ok, 33 cal down to .30 cal).

I can do some research if you like. I've not done any 20 gauge buck loads, but I can certainly see what loads could be utilized with what I have in stock.

I used to be able to get reclaimed lead shot locally, it was good for powdering close range rabbit targets in sporting clays where the flat surfaces of the shot made for erratic and thereby more open patterns. Almost a spreader without the spreader wads in use. But that too has gone the way of the Dodo in recent years in my area. I remember paying $10 a bag for it.

Vince

Edited by sargenv

Just got home from picking up another 3 months worth of components to be equally distributed around the clays course.

#7 1/2 and #8 magnum hard shot was $23.49 a bag up from $18.50 in August. Win 209 primers at $22.99 a 1000.

I won't (I say I won't) shoot promo shells but even they are over $40.00 a flat so..........

Shoot less rounds of clays? :(:angry:

Just like I drive less at $3.00 / gallon ?

Probably at some point ya gotta start thinkin that way. :wacko::(

I am about a half keyboard stroke from buying a Littleton shotmaker. I have unlimited access to almost free lead...

Beats well over a buck a pound. Might even be fun.

And hell, most of it would be for 3-gun. Its not like its for 60 yard crossers. I still have about 1600 lbs of factory shot for shots like that.

I am about a half keyboard stroke from buying a Littleton shotmaker. I have unlimited access to almost free lead...

I've heard both good and bad things about them. I can't remember where but one guy said he could never get it to work. Someone else said it was the ticket. I guess as they say, YMMV.

I have heard more bad than good about the shotmaker. Apparently it is a real messy operation as well as being kinda unsatisfactory. I considered it, then decided to pass.

Sadly, the sporting clays/skeet/5 stand bug has bitten hard and I now have a 12, 20 and 28 to feed. Not to mention the Model 42 410 Deluxe.

I think I will just have to suck up the price because, just like $3.00 gas didn't make me drive less, $30 shot and primers will not make me shoot less (at least as long as the bug has its teeth in me).

Bob