Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Reload Technique With Speedloaders

paul788

How do you reload when using speedloaders? Strong hand and stroke the ejector with the weak hand palm and then switch the gun to the weak hand? Or hit the rod with the weak hand thumb while reaching for the loader? Keep the gun in the strong hand and eject and load with the weak hand? Or some other method?

I'm shooting ICORE using a K frame and Comp 3 loaders. We had 11 shooters for the Postal Match today at Pinetucky. We'll start back the third Saturday of February.

Paul

Eject and reload with the weak hand.

Bubber has the best load with speedloaders that I know. Hopefully he will pipe up shortly.

You might also do a search. There is at least one extensive thread dealing with the issue, rather than rehash it all over again - check it out.

Edited by Viggen

Switch to the weak hand, flip and eject (gravity is your friend), reload with the strong hand and at the same time as closing the cylinder acquire grip and resume shooting.

I do this with moonclips too.

RePete.

paul788, I reload with the weak hand so that my strong hand never has to regrip the gun. I cut down the speedloaders so that they will not pull out the loaded ammo when they spring off. This will probably be along post so get a cup of coffee. As the shot breaks and you have called your shot, stronghand thumb pushes cylinder release as your weakhand rolls under the gun to push open the cylinder. When the cylinder opens fully weakhand thumb pushes the ejector rod quickly and with force. [Do not try to be gentle] As your spent brass is falling your weakhand continues down toward the speedloader and as you grab the loader the revo comes up close to your body so that you can see everything. Using either your index or middle finger on a loaded round in the speedloader use that as a guide to place the round in the chamber of the cylinder. Once the speedloader has actuated roll your weakhand forward using the heal of thumb to close the cylinder as you go to the target. That being said, a lot of competitiors are skilled in other ways of doing the reload. It takes consitancy in your reloads. You may find that your elbows must be in certain confiiguration to get the consistancy or little other things that you will notice. There is a lot of info on the reload in the forum and has been covered before. But this helps drive up my post count. Trying to get to 500. :ph34r:

Somewhere, there is a video of Bubber executing that reload. However, it is of no help, because all you see is him shooting. The reload is so fast that ABC's "Super Slo-Mo" failed to capture any individual movements.

Seriously, Bubber's method can be very fast. I use that same technique, and while not as fast as he is, it seems faster than switching hands.