Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Looking For .308 Loads

spooledup

Get a Sierra, Speer, Hornady, Lapua, etc loading manual. It will have a table of listed loads with starting and max data for various powders, calibers and bullet weights.

In addition, here are a few PDF manufacturer data manuals and some other tables:

http://www.3gunrules.com/documents/multi-gun-info/reloading/

None of this data will substitute for owning several good reloading manuals from one of the leading bullet manufacturers listed above.

I just picked up a savage mod. 10 le1 in .308 which has a 20'' barrel . I need some load data on .308 (powder , primers , bullets , oal , etc ) for this rifle . I will be loading on a 550 with RCBS dies . Thanks , JP

For what will you be reloading for. Different games require different ammo.

I just picked up a savage mod. 10 le1 in .308 which has a 20'' barrel . I need some load data on .308 (powder , primers , bullets , oal , etc ) for this rifle . I will be loading on a 550 with RCBS dies . Thanks , JP

For what will you be reloading for. Different games require different ammo.

A little bit of paper out to 300 yards and a little bit of deer out to about the same maybe a little less .

For those uses, I agree with George. Get some reloading manuals and try different recipes. I like Varget and IMR 4064, mostly Varget for my 308. I would also stay with lighter bullet heads to allow you to fire more rounds before a sore shoulder ensues.

Adam

try this to get you started... it works quite well in my Rem 700P LTR (20" tube twisted 1:12)

43gr RE15

Black Hills Match Brass (Win brass)

Fed 210 primer

168gr Hornady A-Max

2.81 OAL

gets 2500fps outta my stick ... bugholes at 100 & holds sub MOA out to 550 (haven't had a chance to stretch it further yet)

Varget shoots pretty good.... but I had bad luck when I ran out & bought som more... next lot was much slower... had to develope the load all over again... It seems there have been others that have seen some "lot-to-lot" differences as well...YMMV

RE15... never had that problem... even when buying 1lb cans to hold me over until a keg could be found... Shoots same cold or warm weather....

Just a personal preference for me..

I'm currently working on an IMR4895 load... gonna try the 155 Scenars

There are quite a few different powders you can use. Here is a list:

IMR4064

RL-15

RamShot TAC

Hodgden Benchmark

As for bullets I have used Hornady 168 grn, Nosler 168 grn, Sierra 168 and 175 grn bullets. For precision type stuff I have found in my rifle that Hornady 168 grn bullets shoot the best.

Also Federal GM primers or CCI Benchrest primer is also a good choice. Good luck with your new project.

• 1 month later...

42 grains. IMR 4895

COAL 2.800

WLR Primer

Sierra Matchking 168 gr. HPBT

Lapua brass, I get great results with winchester as well

no crimp on a bolt gun.

Here's one of my recent test targets while working up the load, the load is the top right one. This is 5 shots at 100 yards off a bipod. I shot about 400 rounds since and my average grouping is .5 or below. Each grouping is with slightly different loads. The first target has a flyer(my bad lol).

hs2000.jpg

Edited by SSDriver

Hey...since y'all are throwing out .308 loads, anyone have any for AR-10 rifles? I'm going to start with a LR-308T upper to match with my lower. I'll do the JP package on it after I roach through that barrel (shouldn't take too long).

I'm pretty sure that the 168gr. SMK's are the heat. If Varget pairs well with it even better since I get it by the truck load for my .223 loads. Primers will be WLR, unless there's something better. Brass, I'll just start with some Federal and Winchester I have laying around.

Any assistance is appreciated.

Rich

So since I'm madly in love with Sierra Bullets, I perused their catalog.

155 Palma Matchkings are pretty sweet at the speed that I think I can hit easily (2100 fps).

168 Matchkings are the standard and again, in my speed window are cruisin'.

175 Matchkings are just awesome but I'm sure it's gotta be paired to the right barrel twist.

So, when I get back home it'll be play time with powder and these bullets. Besides Varget, does anyone have any suggestions (if Varget works out I'll be beyond ecstatic).

Rich

'Dawg --- 44grs. of Varget & a Sierra 175 out of my AR10T gave me a 5&1/4 inch three shot group at 1000 yards a week & a half ago. 11.25 twist, haven't chrono'd yet so have no idea of velocity. If it keeps this up I'm gonna sell my 260 Rem bolt guns! :P