Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Ironequalizer

IronEqualizer

12-15-06

Set up the idpa classifier today to practice for tomorrow's match but mainly because a friend of mine will shoot his first match tomorrow and I thought the classifier would be a good session for him because of the various skills it tests. I felt extremely relaxed today as we were taking turns shooting the various strings of fire. I scored the best I have ever scored on it at 106.26 total time which puts me in expert class. I never felt like I was rushing for any string of fire I merely felt like I was just shooting. I could have been plinking at cans. This was a great feeling I will try to reproduce on other practices. I know I definitely need to practice at distances of 20yds and more which I rarely do. Of the 37 points I dropped 18 were on the 20yd strings. That would be 9 secs. Another 6 points were dropped on the shots immediately following a reload. Another thing to work on. This was a very productive practice session that allowed me to pinpoint my various weaknesses. I feel good for tomorrow's match. (positive thought) I am a Master class shooter and am very accurate.

Edited by IronEqualizer

• Replies 381
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

SHOOTING GOALS

JANUARY 2008

A. Make “MASTER” class in IDPA

B. Make “A” class in USPSA

JULY 2007

A. Make “EXPERT” class in IDPA

B. Make “B” class in USPSA

SHOOT BETTER POINTS

A. Let the sights set the pace (For every shot)

B. Aim small (Find those centers…for every shot)

C. Use plate rack to learn to call shots

D. Practice shooting 20yds and beyond

E. Use Saul’s and Steve’s live fire drills to track progress

F. Have practice drills planned before practice session

GET INTO AND OUT OF POSITIONS QUICKER

A. Shoot as you enter/leave a position

B. Enhance barricade shooting

C. Enhance port shooting

D. Know where to place your feet for your shooting positions

E. Use Saul’s and Steve’s live fire drills to track progress

F. Have practice drills planned before practice session

IMPROVE SHOOTING ON THE MOVE

A. Exercise correct muscles for low center of gravity movement

B. Learn to hold the “A” zone while moving

C. Stretch to gain more flexibility and prevent injury

D. Use Saul’s and Steve’s live fire drills to track progress

E. Have practice drills planned before practice session

SPEED UP TARGET TRANSITIONS

A. Cut 1/10 off 75% of dry fire par times

B. Know where all targets are in the stage

C. Think “DRIVE” the gun into the “CENTER” (of every target)

IMPROVE TACTICAL STAGE ANALYSIS

A. Know which way a swinger will go

B. Know where a swinger will stop at the end of its arch

C. Know the position of all targets (and which ones to engage first)

D. Sketch each stage in shooting diary and anything learned

E. Plan all reloads even slide lock reloads

F. Learn your skill par times

G. Set up actual stages during live fire & dry fire practice sessions

KEEP A SHOOTING DIARY

A. Write in diary after each practice session

B. Write in diary after each match

C. Write down things in everyday life that can be applied to shooting – techniques to try, practice drills to try, etc…do not rely on “I’ll remember to try that in practice” (jot them down on scrap paper until you can put it in your diary)

SHOOT SANCTIONED MATCHES

A. Put in for vacation time as soon as dates are available for matches you’d like to attend (USPSA & IDPA)

B. Shoot IDPA classification course before AL IDPA state match

12-17-06

Shot the local idpa match yesterday and I feel it was the best match I have ever shot. I have no idea of the scores yet but everything felt good and I felt like I shot at the top of my level. Speed and accuracy were both good. I felt relaxed once I was at lamr and everything just kinda flowed from there. I did not feel overly rushed or anxious on anything. The feeling of just shooting I had in practice the previous day came back. I have gone over the stages again and things to work on would be tac loading while moving down a wall (had a small bobble on 1 stage) and shooting while moving sideways across a target (had a miss on 1 doing this). I kept all negative thoughts out of my mind throughout the day and had several squad members comment on how well I was doing. I believe that was a key part of how good everything felt. (positive thought) I am a Master class shooter and am very accurate.

2007 Training Schedule

Mon. 2 – (30-45) min dry fire sessions

Tues. 1 – (30-45) min dry fire session, live fire (200-250) rnds

Wed. 2 – (30-45) min dry fire sessions

Thurs. 1 – (30-45) min dry fire session, live fire (200-250) rnds

Fri. 2 – (30-45) min dry fire sessions, live fire (200-250) rnds

Sat. (open option) dry fire, live fire (200-250) rnds, match, rest

Sun. (open option) dry fire, live fire (200-250) rnds, match, rest

Edited by IronEqualizer

12-21-06

The plan was to dry fire for about 30 mins today. Nothing in particular I had planned to work on. Did a few draws at a 10yd target, then strong hand draws and went to weak hand transfer draws. Started doing some full reloads and that is where it started to get interesting. I was checking my par times and also wanted to practice getting back on target after the reload. Starting with gun on target I was getting the reload completed and back to an acceptable sight picture in 1.3 secs. (SS 1911) I then started doing the reload and pulling the trigger after getting back on target. I could only complete this with around a 1.6 par time. Why is it taking me .3 secs to pull the trigger? At 1.3 I see an A sight picture but do not break the shot for another .3 secs. This is something I will try to work on. Perhaps I am not prepping the trigger before getting completely on target. I ended up dry firing for an hour and wanted to do more but didn't have the time. This is the first time I really remember trying to analyze what I was doing and it felt good. Made the session really interesting. I will remember to try to analyze what I am doing in future sessions to keep interest high. Still haven't received results from Sat.'s match. (positive thought) I am a Master class shooter, I am smooth, I always see a perfect sight picture and shoot all A's.

Things to do and practice:

Don't want to forget this stuff since the next few weeks will be so busy with the holidays, the kids being out of school, and my schedule being screwed for a while.

1. Do some plate drills at 20-25yds (never done)(Bianchi event)

2. Practice reloads in live fire (hardly ever do)

3. Shoot plates while walking the square (never done)

4. Practice tac loads in dry fire while moving (hardly ever do)

5. Check all current par times on Anderson's drills and post to range diary

6. Shoot El prez in live fire (never done, only in dry fire)

7. Figure out where I am losing the .3 secs on my reloads (prep the trigger?)

Edited by IronEqualizer

1. Do some plate drills at 20-25yds (never done)

Shooting the Bianchi Plate event in practice is a fantastic test. I suggest running it exactly (to keep the pressure up). I'd write down the scores as you go. B)

The Test <clickity>

Good timing Flex....My dad and I just got through welding up some new plates for me less than 2hrs ago for my home range. They are only 7 inches but that just makes it that much better to practice on. My current plates are like 5 and a 1/2 inches and have been excellent practice tools as well as humbling. They are not a rack but are free standing with a piece of flat bar on the bottom edge. I will post my times as soon as I run through them. My practice list is growing rapidly but my free time is not. At least until after the holidays.

The Plates:

A Bianchi plate rack, with 8" plates. Surrender start at the Cup, but who cares if you start hands down.

Two strings (of 6 shots only at six plates) at each distance - 10, 15, 20, and 25 yds, for a total of 48 rds. The time limits for each string are, respectively, 6, 7, 8, and 9 seconds. And, since it is "Stock gun rules" - you must shoot all strings standing. Since the strings are timed, any shot .34 over the time limit does not count.

Each plate is worth 10 points.

Edited by IronEqualizer

Finally got the scores from last Sat.'s match back. From 12-16-06 IDPA match. It felt like the best match I had ever shot and it was. 1st CDP, 2nd overall just 1.87 secs behind a Master class shooter. 30 total shooters. Stages - 2nd, 2nd, 1st, 4th, 6th, 1st. 2 stage wins and one of the 2nd places just missed first by .04secs. Damn I can't be happier. It finally looks like the work is starting to pay off. I know it all goes by whoever shows up to a match but I also know there is no way I would have done it without putting the work in. This is a real motivator. Time to go practice. :) (positive thought) I am a Master class shooter, I am smooth, I always see a perfect sight picture and shoot all A's.

12-23-06

The Plates:

A Bianchi plate rack, with 8" plates. Surrender start at the Cup, but who cares if you start hands down.

Two strings (of 6 shots only at six plates) at each distance - 10, 15, 20, and 25 yds, for a total of 48 rds. The time limits for each string are, respectively, 6, 7, 8, and 9 seconds. And, since it is "Stock gun rules" - you must shoot all strings standing. Since the strings are timed, any shot .34 over the time limit does not count.

Each plate is worth 10 points.

All right thanks to Flex I shot this today and it was great. I had never shot plates at 20-25yds before but I think all my practice at 10-15yds with 6" plates helped to even things out.

The plates I used today were 7" plates. I noticed on my second run through that my left hand fingers were gripping into my left hand harder at 10yds. I purposefully recreated the grip at 15yds and while recoil control felt better I think I had to really concentrate on accuracy more. I loosened up at 20-25yds to my normal grip. I really want to experiment more with this grip because it felt like I had a more wrapped and total control over the gun. Wonder why subconsciously I gripped this way. Hmmmm. I really love that I am starting to actually observe what I am doing instead of just blasting. The thing is I am not consciously trying to pick up on things but the way the shooting feels and looks are becoming different.

1st run

10yds

4.51 60pts, 4.32 60pts

15yds

4.99 60pts, 5.11 50pts

20 yds

5.96 50pts, 6.16 50pts

25yds

7.61 50pts, 8.01 40pts

Total Points 420

Total Time 46.67

2nd run

10yds

4.75 60pts, 4.68 60pts

15yds

5.37 50pts, 5.32 60pts

20yds

6.31 50pts, 5.88 60pts

25yds

8.25 50pts, 7.38 50pts

Total Points 440

Total Time 47.94

(positive thought) I am a Master class shooter, I am smooth, I always see a perfect sight picture and shoot all A's.

Edited by IronEqualizer

12-27-06

Dry fired about an hour today. Checking par times which I haven't done in a while. I have improved on a lot of drills in the last 2 months since I last really used the timer and par times.

Steve Anderson Drills (Refinement and Repitition)

#2 .80

#3 .80

#4 .90

#5 1.00

#6 1.30

#7 .60

gun on A-zone, reload, back to A-zone 1.30

gun on A-zone, tac load, back to A-zone 1.90

#8 3.90

#9 3.90

#10 4.10

Had a hard time hitting reloads on El Prez. I started out settling my feet while completing the reload and it just wasn't working. Changed to the Burkett turn, military style, placing the right foot in it's final position on the turn and reloads straightened out and times picked up. Need to work on turns more so that the feet positioning and head snap do not have to be thought about. Overall a good session. Drills #2 and 3 I seemed to have slowed down a tenth but I know I am seeing a good sight picture now so all is good. (positive thought) I am a Master class shooter, I am smooth, I always see a perfect sight picture and shoot all A's.

I felt extremely relaxed today as we were taking turns shooting the various strings of fire. ... I never felt like I was rushing for any string of fire I merely felt like I was just shooting. I could have been plinking at cans.

That's will be a valuable feeling for you to recall for years to come.

be

12-28-06

Dry fired about 45mins today, still checking current par times to have everything set for 2007 practice schedule.

#11 4.70

#12 5.30

#14 2.00

#15 2.20

#16 3.60

#12 Need to get better sight pictures with weak hand. (really moving around, may try to bend my arm more)

#14 Continued with the military style turn and was working pretty well but foot placement still felt awkward. Started placing feet closer together (within 6 inches) and weight mostly on left foot. Moving my feet closer together as I have seen other shooters do really helped the turn a lot.

#15 Need to make sure to see a good sight picture on those first two shots.

I have been working 12hr days this week and if I have been able to dry fire this week I should have no excuses after the holidays to really turn up the practice when I go back to 8hr days and my regular schedule. (positive thought) I am a Master class shooter, I am smooth, I always see a perfect sight picture and shoot all A's.

12-29-06

Dry fired about 45mins today, still checking current par times to have everything set for 2007 practice schedule. I will next post my par times for the plate drills.

#17 .80

#19 3.90

#20 4.30

#19 This is a great drill and that really makes me zone in on the front sight. I think i will continue to do more reps of this drill than normal as I really think I need to improve my focus shift time.

#20 This drill will allow me to be able to program my subconscious to automatically make up a miss. It is relatively easy to call misses on this when things start speeding up, but making them up is something I need to work on. I will do extra reps on this one also.

I worked on #18 a little while today also "Table Draws". At the last match 2 of the 6 stages were table draws so being familiar with this will be a definite advantage. In fact I think it already was because I had no hesitation or wondered how I was going to grab the gun off the table at the last match. I would like to spend more time loading from a table because I am not confident in that ability yet.

I spent a lot of time on #19 and 20 today just seeing and feeling how everything needed to be for upper A/B zone shots. I have really enjoyed my dry fire time the last few days. I look forward to a lot of live fire over the extended weekend. (positive thought) I am a Master class shooter, I am smooth, I always see a perfect sight picture and shoot all A's.

Edited by IronEqualizer

12-30-06

Live fired today. I shot about 200 rnds on the plate racks today and actually started to run through the Bianchi plate drill again and when I kept friggin missing at 10 and 15yds I started to get frustrated. :angry: I practiced a little at 25yds again and it was quite humbling from the high I have been on since my last match performance. :unsure: I had been doing needed household chores all morning and it was very overcast and gloomy today and I really did not feel into it when I went to shoot. <_< I did not have a set plan on what I wanted to do before I got there. I am sure even Masters have crappy days so I am trying to keep things positive. I now know I will have a set of drills planned before I go to shoot from now on. I also now know that the right attitude goes a long way toward performance. I feel better now that I am writing/typing this because I now realize that I did get something out of the session. :) I will be a Master. I will "MAKE IT HAPPEN". It is my choice and I have chosen to become a Master class shooter.(positive thought) I am a Master class shooter, I am smooth, I always see a perfect sight picture and shoot all A's.

Edited by IronEqualizer

1-1-07

Happy New Year!

Live Fired today working with Anderson's plate index and straight plates. 10yds Avg time for plate index was 1.21. (I only averaged the times of the ones I actually hit) Avg time for straight plates (virginia count) was 4.38 usually leaving one standing. I also practiced straight plates weak/strong hand for a couple of mags each. Shooting the plate index drill it is becoming easier and easier to call those shots. When I miss I can say that was left that was right that was high right. I can do this so much easier on these plates than I can shooting full size targets. I can call some shots going across the plates but multiple shots at speed is still something I need to work on and with time I know it will come to me. I need to work on observing the shooting more. I found myself for the first several runs just kinda blasting. By the end of the session I actually saw the flat lead splatter go flying away. That was way cool. (positive thought) I am a Master class shooter, I am smooth, I always see a perfect sight picture and shoot all A's.

1-2-07

Dry fired about 45 mins today. Working Anderson's plate drills. Set up is 6, 6 inch paper plates, hot glued to a 1X2X6 at 25ft.

#28 .80

#29 2.50

#30 3.40

#31 3.80

#33 4.00

#34 4.40

#35 5.20

I noticed today that I really need to get my 1st shot index down. If I have to search or try to align the sights on that first shot my time will be 1 to 2 tenths off. Does not happen often but too often not to try and correct it, and get it right every time. (positive thought) I am a Master class shooter, I am smooth, I always see a perfect sight picture and shoot all A's.

1-3-07

Dry fired 1hr and 15min. 1 30min session, 1 45min session.

Anderson's drills.

#36 1.00

#37 4.20

#38 3.80

I finally finished checking my par times on all the drills so I can track my progress throughout the year. I spent quite a bit of time on #37 really trying to get my turn down. Feet close together, weight mainly on left foot, and military turn placing my right foot in as close to the final position as possible. If I do not get my body turned enough I usually miss the reload with my body twisted and trying to settle my feet during the load.

During the second session I spent a lot of time on moving plate loads and it seems after a while I really started to zone in and everything was getting faster. My draws were spot on, no searching for the sights, transitions smooth good sight pictures moving forward and the burst of speed during the load got faster and faster as well as loads got smoother and faster. When this is happening I do not want to stop practicing. I want that smoothness, that feeling of everything going perfectly to burn into my subconscious. (positive thought) I am a Master class shooter, I am smooth, I always see a perfect sight picture and shoot all A's.