Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Training journal

38supPat

October 31 match @ Aurora

http://youtu.be/HtRINtxYsgY

Stage 1: big issue was poor trigger manipulation caused me to drop a lot of points at the closest box. The first two went ok with decent points but at the closest box I did not give enough attention o the trigger and dropped shots into the no shoots. Lost 75 of 90 points.

Stage 2: messed up at the beginning. The plan was to shoot the first three targets, retrieve a mag and shoot the first target through the door and the popper then reload and finish the last array. As I moved for the mag in the bucket I dumped the mag in the gun, chalk it up to habit of doing this reloading off tables, don't normally practice retrieving a mag from a table and NOT reloading (will add this to practice sessions) so while I would have had enough rounds I wanted some extra for the last array so I took both mags in the bucket reloaded one into the gun before the door but rushing didn't have time to put the other on my belt so I just left it in my hand. The first target through the door and the popper were easy shots so I shot them while holding spare mag in weak hand. Reloaded with that mag and finished. The take away here was that while an error potentially could have cost me the stage i was able to work around the problem on the fly and finish the stage with a decent score.

Stage 3: straight up stage, move to wall and shoot popper then move through cooper tunnel to targets. Felt I took a little long setting up on first target but transitioning to the other two went well.

Stage 4: shot the first 6 targets all A's, second bank I started ok, had to slow a bit for the last couple because I had to lean a bit to pick them up, moving earlier in the array might have helped. Last array went about as well as could be expected, it was right at the back of the range and if I'd had a bit more space I would have liked to stand a bit farther back to speed up the transition from one array to the other but it felt a bit crowded.

Stage 5: straight up 3 target stage at about 15m. Again I felt like I didn't give the trigger the attention it deserved for the shots and I dropped more points than I would have liked but 6 shots at 15m in 2.6 seconds was decent and was about half the time it took the next closest shooter.

Overal my transitions are getting better and my ability to work around problems was good.

• Replies 170
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Had a pretty productive day yesterday. Did some filming for our podcast to cover some classic drills like Bill drills, El Prez, Accelerator, Reaction time, and Transition drills. Dropped some good runs on everything. 2.0 bill drill all A's, 4.57 El Prez, ran Accelerator 4 different ways and hit 3.0 -3.2 each way, reaction I was running .12-.15, and Brian's transition drill I ran in just over 3 second down 4 points so call it 5 and a bit. Managed some decent groups and some speed draws at 7 that I got on paper at .65 seconds (yeah not an A but I was going for raw time)

Shooting that match was a big ugly for me since I am still adjusting to what is an acceptable sight picture on those targets with this gun. Gun is flawless, right now it is stock except for a 17# hammer spring and Techwell Magwell.

On a few shots I definitely let the shot go when the front post was either high in the notch and I just didn't put it where it should be or was a bit left or right and I just let the shot go anyways. Relearning visual patience will go a long way lol.

• 2 weeks later...

Looking at the positive my transitions are better. I still have to figure out what's acceptable for each shot with the sights. Gun doesn't need much work, though I am trying lighter loads, those were still 141pf. Just picked up some titegroup and trying it out Sat.

Reload was just a bad combination of errors, the Tripp mags sit just above flush with the mag well so I may trim the well a bit. I'll post 3rd person view in a bit

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

Today's practice

I thought I should do a write-up about this drill. I haven't posted video yet from the POV cam but the targets were at 10m, and set up like this: T1 on on the left, 1m spacing then T2 then a 3m spacing to T3. The boxes were fairly close together and the first box from the start position was also close. When I was dry firing this to figure it out it felt like there wasn't enough space/time to get things done. Moving to the left always feels a bit more awkward for a right handed shooter, and especially reloading to the left. I wanted to make quick aggressive movements into each box and the combination of left lateral movement and a reload made it feel tight. A couple of things I picked up while running this: On the initial run there is a hitch in the draw, On the beep I draw but don't present, move into the box, then present the pistol to target, In the last run video I had figured out to draw directly to target while stepping into the box, this alone saved me almost a half second. My initial draws were around 1.70 seconds and my later ones were under 1.3 seconds. Next, you'll see I cross step into the second box as I enter on the first run, on the second run I step deep with my left foot. On the first runs using the cross step in I was having to pivot to engage the targets as I was entering, on the later runs stepping deep I am squared up and ready to shoot immediately. This was worth another quarter of a second, on the first runs I was over 2.0 seconds for this movement, later I had that cut down to 1.78 seconds. I'd still like to get a wider stance in the final box but that will be for the next practice.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

Hit a small local match today. Main focus was to see if the knee will hold and how I can move and not aggravate it. Got through with no issues, gonna take some work but I'll get it figured out. Didn't shoot as well as I wanted but I just switched back to Single Stack and need to get back on shooting irons. 

Match video 

I had a good first stage, 1.95 down one C. Second stage my transitions were horrible because I wasn't very confident shooting those partials when I hadn't really spent much time with this gun since early spring. I was hesitant and it showed, lack of confidence also helped earn me a Mike and a no shoot here. Gonna be working partials for awhile.

Stage 3 went very well except the blown reload which I also place on not having spent much time with this gear lately. It's just a bit different and it cost me. Also I have been running a stock mag release button and you can see I really have to flip the gun to get to it and I was struggling a bit, also not requiring the grip well. I've now put an extended button on so we'll see if that helps. My accuracy and transition on these stages were overall better, except stage 2 lol, I didn't have a single D in the match and only 7 C's I think.