Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Training journal

38supPat

As I said in the other thread, great vid. :)

Can I ask a bit about your current blaster?

Looks like a trubor barrel/comp. is the comp modded at all or stock trubor?

Any barrel holes?

Slide brand? Much lightening?

Is it an off the shelf sti or custom build?

9 or super?

Anything else interesting about it? I'm looking at getting a new open gun now and considering a ck arms, a dvc (falling out of love with that plan), or having a local smith build one up for me based around sti frame, grip, slide and trubor barrel/comp.

Any guidance much appreciated. :)

• Replies 170
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This is a plain Jane STI Trubor. I had swapped in an Aftec extractor but have gone back to a regular (Caspian in this case) and the drop in C&S Ultralight trigger kit. Other than that its bone stock. No lightening, no holes, no comp mods, nothing. Even the grip is factory, no shaping or stippling/grip tape.

.38 super. Typically 10gr of n105 that is around 175pf in the last couple of videos I'm using some 3n37 to save my n105 for big matches.

Thanks Pat. I had a suspicion it might be!

I believe the reason it shoots so flat is down to you as a shooter understanding how to grip it properly and drive the gun aggressively.

The open gun I'm looking to have built is based of a trubor barrel/comp but bought as a blank and then the chambers machined by the smith (slightly different to the stock trubor size/shape). I am keen to have 3 small popple holes in the barrel but my smith says it's fine without them. However my preference has been for a flat shooting gun (even if a bit harder in the hand) over a softer shooting gun (that may still have some rise and fall to it). His preference is for a softer gun over flatter/harder. Maybe I should just listen to him since he knows more than I do...

On the other hand by observing what top open shooters run (and exlcuding Eric G and his tanfoglio) I've come to see this as covering probably 80% of the top open shooters:

2011 of some kind

38 super (the odd 9 major in there too)

3 or 4 chamber compensator

2 or 3 popple holes

upright mounted cmore

mostly with plastic grips though I'm seeing a shift torwards steel/titanium grips in recent times.

You are a case in point though that with the right operator and a decent load a trubor is enough open gun to run with the big dogs. :)

My current rig is a tanfoglio eric custom V12 (with plenty of my time and $$ on internals etc to improve trigger). It's a very flat shooting gun, but most certainly is loud and fairly hard in the hand. The all steel frame helps a bit, but the fact is I need to run 10.4gn of 3N38 to comfortable make IPSC major which is only 160 (I do run the gun at around 170pf). I find the gun pleasant to shoot. Last fast, plenty reliable but I can tell it's copping a beating. I've come to the conclusion that a 2011 is the logical way to go in open. I just want to keep that nice, flat, fast shooting feeling. I might try the new gun first without holes and then make a decision.

I actually just bought a bottle of N105 to try. I used it a while ago but ultimately preferred 3N38 but 2 weeks ago at the local gun shop when I saw some N105 I thought I'd give it another go.

Thanks for your help. I've always enjoyed your posts and your videos. :)

This is one of the flatter guns I have run. I have all the parts to build another, STI frame, slide and Trubor barrel. The barrel is the same as the one I have now and I'll build it at some point.

When I bought this I was basically going back to square one. The Trubor is a very good basic Open gun. My plan was to start basic, tweak and tune as I go and then when I'm happy build the second gun exactly the same. So far I'm not finding much I need to do, its a good blend of flat and soft. I've shot a lot of harsh guns over the years, they can be flat but not necessarily. The Tanfo's have a fairly light slide which makes them a bit more violent to shoot, initially I had my 2011 open guns built to be like that, now I'm finding the softer gun flat and much easier to shoot. Too soft can be bad as it feels sluggish to me, but I don't find the super light slides and fast cycling guns pleasant to shoot or any faster. I thought I would want to lighten the slide on this but even at full weight I find this gun plenty fast enough. I have not found a good enough reason to go to a metal frame, I've shot Para and Caspian framed guns in the past and they are OK but not any better then what I have now. The plastic grips are cheaper, easy to work on and if you screw up, and won't drain your bank account to replace.

That is very interesting input. I agree on the slide thing. One of the things I really like about the CZ/tanfo design is the burried in the frame/low profile slide and on the tanfo it's cut up a lot for a pretty light and low slide. so it does have significant slide speed.

My smith says a similar thing to you which is that guns with too light slides do get more violent to shoot. The tanfo is calmed down a bit by the heavy frame/grip but it still needs to be ridden hard. I also don't want something that feels too soft as like you I felt that soft=slow but maybe that's not the case.

Talking this out helps crystalise what I want. I think I'll go with the locally built 2011 based off the turbo barrel/comp and take it from there. :) Thanks Pat.

• 4 weeks later...

Worked some trigger control drills today. Trying out CFE pistol powder in the super. Worked quite well and happy with results.

Started just getting a sight picture, prepping and firing a shot and working on returning the gun as quickly as possible with a prepped trigger. Then advanced into prepped doubles, tore a 3" hole in the center of the a zone. Ran the 3 second par time TGO drill and managed to get all but one in the A zone right up to the ten round string. Moved back and ran some bill drills at 30m. At first I was just banging on the trigger, hovering around 3.9 seconds. Changed to ensuring a prepped trigger for each shot and had a 4.5 second run all A's. Before that I was dropping some c's and the odd d.

I had a message on both fb and instagram from Josko to get my butt over this week to get a Doubletap mount installed, he has had a couple set aside for me for awhile now that I just hadn't got around to putting on yet. I was going to do it after Nationals but it looks like that is going to have to be sooner now lol

• 4 weeks later...

Canadian Nationals done. Placed 8th which is ok since I was the Match Director and had put in more hours running the match than shooting. I see a couple a things to work on. But to be honest I was pretty bagged so not performing to my best.

6 bays, 14 stage, 253 rounds. I designed it and helped lay it out and build it.

That's my home club. The ranges are tough since they are all long and narrow. Where the speed shoots were its not much more than 6-7m wide and the widest bay isn't quite 15m wide.

• 1 month later...