Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Training journal

38supPat

Come to think of it on the first couple of runs I did set up my NPA on the first target. I usually set up my NPA on the hardest target, in this case the middle and since they were close together, 1m apart edge to edge, there really wasn't a whole lot of pivot...though I guess at 7m there is a bit more of an angle covered than at 10m or 15m. I did try altering my NPA to the last target for a couple of runs since it was the target I was shooting poorly on and it didn't seem to make a big difference...I even tried moving down the fault line I had on the ground so that the last target was right in front of me...lol

• Replies 170
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 4 weeks later...

Well since the Nationals I have added a thumbledge to one of my open guns, my SVI IMM, to see how I like it. I got a chance to try one in Vegas and was pleasantly surprised how well I did with it. I've now run it for one match and a practice (with swinger) and so far the results look promising, the biggest area of improvement I'm seeing it in transitions, though I am running a substatially lighter gun which may account for this.

I'm looking at what I have to rebuild for next year and it seems a bit daunting. I'm going to recomp and remount my scope on the old Millenium gun, Millenium Ti comp and DoubleTap scopemount. That will have that gun good to go for a bit. Next I need to build a new topend for the SVI. Im currently looking at building a IMM sized top with a Millenium comp, bull barrel (Barsto or similar) and cut the slide back to IMM length (1/2"?) and thread barrel to match. I seem to drive the lighter guns better and Ideally I want it close to feel and balance of a 5" Standard gun (like an STI Eagle)

• 2 weeks later...

Shot an M&P Pro today at our home club Level I. What a great gun! I whacked a couple of Mikes and a N/S on the classifiers but I managed to have the fastest times on every stage and posted the HHF on two, and thats including all divisions. I kinda like beating up on Open and Standard guns with an out of the box 9mm.

Shot an M&P Pro today at our home club Level I. What a great gun! I whacked a couple of Mikes and a N/S on the classifiers but I managed to have the fastest times on every stage and posted the HHF on two, and thats including all divisions. I kinda like beating up on Open and Standard guns with an out of the box 9mm.

That's fun stuff.

:D

• 4 weeks later...

I hate lame, boring matches, and I hate getting over charged for lame, boring matches, but to keep it interesting I treated it as a training exercise. I shot one stage entirely on the move even though the target presentations were pretty much set for stand and shoot positions. I did have a couple of cases where I pulled off targets early causing misses, one was on a bank of targets in the middle of a CoF and the other was te last target (plate) on a speed shoot, I had a really good run going on it but then just relaxed my arms as I fired the last shot instead of staying on target.

Pretty much everything else was a waste of bullets, I wish I had just gone to practice instead.

• 1 month later...

January jitters today, haven't been on the gun that much since end of November so things were a bit rusty today. Nothing major just some reloads didn't quite go according to plan, some were real good. I fumbled a couple but one on a medium course was 1:26 moving from one port to another and reloading off a table. Had a three no shoots, one was a close target (partial mini under 3m) and I didn't allow enough for the height of the Cmore. The other two were for going too hard into a door and getting off balance and starting to shoot before I regained myself (partial mini @ 12m and then trying to make it up too fast and poking my 11th shot into the no shoot as well and since I was empty at this point I gave up lol.

Blew an unloaded start by grabbing the mag badly and failing to seat it.

Overall though not too bad for the first match of the year. The old open gun still rocks pretty good.

• 5 months later...
  • 3 months later...

Good practice session today.

Warmed up with some movement drills on 35m targets. Box to box type stuff.

Shot some 35m strong hand/weak hand

Moved on to a variation of a walk back drill. Set up 3 targets like an El Prez setup, started at 5m and shot 2+2+2. Take 2 steps back and repeat. Keep repeating until I hit 20m, usually around 48 rounds. Interesting how things worked out. From 5m to 10m there was almost no difference in my draw or splits, running .9 to 1.0 draw and .14-.15 splits on target, .18-.20 transitions. Past 10m, draws slowed to 1.05 to 1.10 and splits were in the .18-.20 range out to 15m. Right at 15m I got very tense. I felt my grip increase, and my jaw clenched. After 15m I settled down and was running 1.15 draws and mid .2 splits.

I reloaded my mags and ran the drill again but this time I started at 20m and worked in taking two steps forward each time until I got to 5m. After a couple of steps I felt myself get tense again, sure enough I was at 15m. Again jaw clenched and uber tight grip. the rest of the drill I was pretty relaxed but always at 15m I got tight. Closer and farther I was good, but right at 15 I tightened up.

A note on the movement drill.

It was a simple box to box drill with the start box @ 35m and two boxes, one to the left and one to the right, both slightly forward of the start box. Same as the drill Nils posted on his Facebook/website. The first couple/few runs I had misses and lots of C/D hits. As I shot the drill and really narrowed my focus to shooting A's (I became much more tuned into the sight picture/trigger press) the shots tightened and I was shooting mostly A's. overall this is not a big deal or a real revelation, it's kind of what we expect, what was interesting was that the whole time I ran the drill my times never really changed. Every run was timed out about the same, I was taking whatever time I needed to make the shots and I went from bad to better but the times never changed.

They were slightly better with really good hits when I went back and shot the drill after doing the walk back drill. But I think this is mostly from really grooving into the gun at that point.

• 1 month later...

So starting my plans for 2013.

Dry fire, dry fire, dry fire.

But more than that, perfect dry fire.

I've gotten sloppy this year and some of that comes from both lack of dryfire and poor dryfire.

I no longer will accept anything that is not an A in dryfire, I will learn visual patience if it kills me. I will perfect my reloads and will run zero failure reload drills.

I will eliminate the failures to shoot points, uncalled misses and blown reloads that killed my matches this year.

• 1 month later...

I've gotten sloppy this year and some of that comes from both lack of dryfire and poor dryfire.

I no longer will accept anything that is not an A in dryfire, I will learn visual patience if it kills me. I will perfect my reloads and will run zero failure reload drills.

I will eliminate the failures to shoot points, uncalled misses and blown reloads that killed my matches this year.

I shoot C's in dryfire a lot. I am trying to fix it...but I wont slow down.

I shoot C's in dryfire a lot. I am trying to fix it...but I wont slow down.

how do you know they are C's? I shoot all A's in dry fire and C's in live fire...

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 years later...