Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Thumbs Locked Down Vs Along Slide

PPC Master

Hello Everyone,

I have a question concerning grip with Semi-Autos. What are the advantages and disadvantages of having your thumbs locked down, as in DA shooting VS thumbs along the slide in SA or DA shooting. I have been trying this out and have a lot of mixed results. Mainly looking for the accuracy benefit. Thank you everyone in advance for your help.

That is a very nice article. Read it twice.... I like this quote!

"While we don't want to be mindless slaves to what has gone before as we develop our shooting technique, it's also important not to waste immense amounts of time reinventing the wheel." Duane T

Nice artical and I can USE IT NOW like no other. Shot my new Edge today for the first time in a local steel match. Horrible. I have only shot SS 45 for years and made the jump into the 2011 Edge. I never have been a great shot but today really was a jolt. I practiced draw and dryfires bout 50-75 times the day before. New gun, new holster and belt and I thought I was doing OK dryfiring but today its went to hell,, I couldnt seem to draw with a decent or even the same grip twice. The magwell seems to crowd my hands and it just doesnt feel normal or comfortable.

I think its a matter of building a decent grip and getting familiar with it, the artical has some good pics and info.

Im also not sure about the Bladetech DOH holster I got,, I almost get the feeling its blocking me from getting a good grip at the draw.

Another vote of thanks for that article....

I came from Single Action shooting (aka Cowboy Action - still shoot it too!) and find my left thumb sticking out to the left at about 45 degrees!!!! :blink:

It seems to think it's going to be needed to pull the hammer back....... SOMETIME!!! :D