Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

New Baby

revoman

38 Short Colt built by Mark Hartshorne at Pinnacle High Performance. Has a 5.5 lb trigger job without a mushy feel and a .356 barrel. I put a scope on it real quick and off hand at 20 yards I could hit the same impact point on a static steel target. Loads were 147 grain Hornady FMJ BT 9mm with VV N310 3.3 grains OAL 1.115. I am pleased and I am ready for the IRC this year. I will play with more loads and let you know how they work out. I am looking to use 125 jacketed bullets at 1000 to 1100 FPS. I think this will make the comp and the ports work and instead of a slow recoil it will give me a quicker one.

Bubber

If you are nice I will let you play with my new baby in Arkansas.

Smiling Dean :D

Wow, That is nice!! WHat kind of cylinder latch is that?

That's Mark's latch but it looks like he reduced the overall height a little.

Maybe ball end-mill those flutes for some more weight shaving but other than that

let us know how she shoot's.

Personally I'd go for the OKO red dot but you will need to mill a .150 wide notch in the

scope mount (or you could use a file, I did on my first two :rolleyes: )

[snip].....

Bubber

If you are nice I will let you play with my new baby in Arkansas.

Smiling Dean :D

Smilin Dean, I take it you got your Cylinders Turn. How nice to I have to be? I would truly like to shoot it, but would hate to hurt my reputation. Bubber likes. B)

VERY NICE!! Hope to see it (and you of course :P ) in June! Unless you can make it to the Rocky Mountain Regional in May?

Whose grips?

They look like the same ones that I got on my 627 many moons ago when they made the 6.5" guns

Edited by johnb

AHhhhh....... :):):) Glad you got it and like it. The barrel looks really heavy though..... :P I just shot mine the other day at the plate rack........Funny, regardless of bore size on the bullets...(.355, .356) the plates kept falling at 50 yds......

I just wish I would have took down all the quotes I was told by the factory reps from S&W when they said it wouldnt work and accuracy would suffer.... :rolleyes:

Enjoy your starter pistol!

Regards,

DougC

Cylinder latch is Pinnacle High Performance. The grips are what came with the revolver back when it was a 6 1/2" 627. I am going to use my Hogue Big Butt grips on it. Right now I am going to use a OKO 4MOA dot, but I still like my Bushnell Halo sight with a 6 MOA dot and I might go back to it. The gun does not weigh that much and it actually is balanced real well. From the tip of the barrel to the end of the forcing cone is 6 7/8", I have 4 1/4" of rifling before the bullet hits the comp at the end of the barrel. The final step I have in this is to have Robar put their NP3 finish on it and then it is done. I have 610 built by Charlie Prest (God rest his soul) and it has the NP3 finish and I can't think of a better finish. Easy to clean and your gun always feels like it has just been oiled. If you know me a few beers is all I need to to think that you are a nice person. Maybe Doug C (from Iowa) and I will start a revolverloution and all will want the starter guns. Like I always say I may not shoot well all the time but I can sure look good all the time. :D

Deano Gomezarelli, my Italian friend, I salute you! Starter pistols for all!

:D

DougC

PS.....I am thinking of making a short colt stock gun with a 627 and starting with an 8 3/8 barrel and turning it back until it hits the cylinder........Whaddya think????

Edited by DougC

• 1 month later...

Took it out the other day and off the bench at 15 yds (thats the distance I sight in most of my revolvers ) 2 groups of 3 and in each group all 3 were touching. Load is 147gr RN, X-treme bullet sized at .357, seated at 1.140, 4.0 grs VV N330. Avg FPS 850 and power factor is 124. I will definitely test this load at 50 yds to see what it can do. I have another load that I just chronoed and did not get a chance to put on paper, but it looks good. 4.2 grs VV N320, Precision Delta 124 gr RN .356, seated 1.135. 5 rounds high 1029 fps, low 1004, avg 1015.8 for a 125.9 PF. Should be a good steel load if it prints on paper. I am going to bump it up to 4.3 and see what it does. So far money well spent and with a little practice I might be able to shoot this gun to its potential. I also use a Lee 38 special undersized die a 9mm taper crimp and a 9mm dillon powder funnel. These are all loaded on a Dillon 650. My thanks to Mark at Pinnacle High Performance. The revolver is a shooter. :D

Hi Dean.....

What did you do with that dirty old 6.5inch barrel? :blink:

Mark

Sorry, I have been asked that questions a number of times and it was sold the day Mark at Pinnacle took it off the frame.

What brand of FMC do you use for 38Short Colt?

Hearthco, made for 38 short colt Starline brass.

Mark, that is the "mark" of a true stock iron sight Revo shooter, trying anyway to find one of those damn 6.5in barrels that someone hasnt ruined by porting.......damn, all those 5in bbls that can be ported easy for open guns, and people cut holes in the long tubes that we need for irons..... :):lol:

DougC

Revoman,

How long did it take to get the work done? I'm looking for a gunsmith to work over my S&w 625, however, Randy with Apex has a huge backlog and Clark Custom has a 2 to 3 month backlog. I need my revolver back by the end of February so that I can use it in an upcomming match.

Brian

Revoman,

How long did it take to get the work done? I'm looking for a gunsmith to work over my S&w 625, however, Randy with Apex has a huge backlog and Clark Custom has a 2 to 3 month backlog. I need my revolver back by the end of February so that I can use it in an upcomming match.

Brian

It took one year to have this done but I was in no big hurry and I kept changing things. Your best bet is to call Mark and ask him and let him know what you are looking for. Remember true custom work does take a little longer. Mark is a nice guy and if he can't do what you want in the time frame you need, he's fun to talk to.