Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Which way to go for open

mike4045

I would like to find out what way to go for new open gun? I am looking at new STI and SV guns. I have also considered having one built by Benny Hill or Dave Dawson.  I am also leaning towards a hybrid setup. I normally shoot limited and don't have alot of exp with open guns. I have seen enough to know that I want it built by someone who can make it run. Any advantages for 38 Supercomp over 38 super?

Mike4045

• 2 weeks later...

Hi there Mike,

I myself am having a new Open gun built. Currently my thoughts are torn between .38 super, 9x23 and .40 smith. Hybrid barrels or not? For the base frame and slide I have all but decided on Caspain gear.

Simply put I have become lost in in options. I have been shooting stock guns with minor mods. just so they would function better. Any advice I can find would be just awesome..

Hawkster

Geez you guys - why not just ask us to pick out new wives for you too :-)

What to put on an Open gun is extremely personal.  Your best bet is to talk to people at matches - what works for them, what they'd change now.  This will also give you a feel for the smith's in the area and how they work.

My best advice though, is to use a local smith to build it, or buy one from the factory as your going to shoot it.

I've wrestled with this decsison also.....  I can tell you what the Popular chooice seems to be, an STI or SV based gun in .38 Super, with no hybrid, just an efficient comp. With the lowering of the power factor to 165, Hybrid seems to be losing some following, there are plenty of flat shooting comps out there.

The advantage of .38 super comp over plain super is mainly the case is rimless, in that they stack up in the mag straighter, and supposedly they have stronger case walls and can handle higher pressures. Disadvantage is the cases are more expensive, and when mixed with 38 super brass from the range a pain to sort out.

And now I'm reading in Front Sight that 9mm major open may become legal as well.... to many choices!

All of the choices out there seem to be a "Ford vs. Chevy" type thing - you have to find a gun and caliber YOU like, don't let someone else tell you what you HAVE to have. (although good advice is always welcome)

Hmmmm...... after reading the above, maybe I should do as I say, not as I do....

;)

Caspian makes good parts but the mags are a pain to clean. STI has the contingency money. SV's are nice if you can get your hands on one. I'm building a new open gun on an STI frame, Caspian slide, Tribrid barrel in 9mm(loading to 1.25 until they make it officially legal), Dawson Ice magwell(man is that hole huge) and having George at EGW put the whole thing together. Try a bunch then find what you like and don't like.

I think there's a couple ways to go: Either test out enough different open guns that you can decide what you want, or get one of the middle-of-the-road "stock" open guns, and shoot it a while before you decide what to do with it.

Either way, you'll end up changing pieces and parts a lot. There's never a perfect Open gun, at least not for long.

I got to play with a couple of open guns over the last two weeks. I have decided against the hybrid. I just can't get used to the added sound. I am thinking of an STI frame with a very light slide and comp. Probably in the 5 or 6 port range. All the guns I have tried felt to nose heavy. But all the guns were built for the old power factor. Super comp seems to be the way to go.

Now my wife is seeing what  a pain it is to get an open gun right. She thinks I should go and have a limited gun built the way I want it. Everyone we have talked to that shoots open is always modifying their guns. The limited guys seem to be the ones who are still shooting the same guns for the last 3 to 4 yrs. I like to play in open, but limited is so much simpler.

Thanks for the replies.

Mike4045

Maybe the reason they are having problems is the fact that they keep screwing with it. If it aint broke don't fix it. Most of the problems I see are the ones related to home  gunsmithing. EGW built my open and limited gun, I don't mess with it and it runs 100%. If you like to play with the parts get used to jam clearing. If you get one built right, work up your loads and tune your mags you'll be fine.

Chriss -you truly are a man of knowledge.

you are 100% right about the home gunsmith part.

If you want relaibility (and who doesn't) a professional job is key.

And the most overlooked part of the gun is the magazine. Have them tuned by an expert just like your gun. Bevin Grams at Grams Eng. is the hot ticket in that arena if you ask me.