Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Question For Ar-10 Owners

TMC

I am hoping one of you can tell me the barrel diameter both at the muzzle and under the handguards.

I have an Eagle Arms upper and though it is not a bull barrel it looks thicker than pictures I have seen of Armalite "Infantry" weight barrels. I'm thinking of turning it down to reduce the weight I just don't want to go too far.

Thanks

Don't have calipers Todd or I'd give you what's on my DPMS LR-308 (yep...there are advantages to living out of California...not many, but a few). That said, contact Benny Hill and ask him. He runs a big bore AR every once in a while and can hook you up with good info.

Rich

Thanks Rich,

The barrel I have is .720 in front of the gas block, it steps up through the block and then down to about .750 behind it and it gradually tapers up to about .820 near the receiver where it really tapers up to over 1" for the chamber.

You can turn that barrel down to .75 under the handgaurds, no problem. try to keep the same taper near the back end by the chamber and taper up to the gas block. I've even gone down to .70 under the handguards.

.720 in front of the gas block is fine.

if you have a rifle gas system......do not cut the length down under 20". I've seen some reliability problems with 18" 308's and a rifle gas system. People have done it and it works fine for them......others have had nothing but problems. AGAIN....note....this is if you have a rifle gas system, not to be confused with a carbine gas system.

One thing you may want to do afterwards is send the barrle out for cryo......some may disagree on the advantages of cryo treating, but I look at it this way, it's like chicken soup for a cold, it may not help (I suggest it will), but it will not hurt.

Two of the advantages stated in cryo treating are increased barrel life (who cares IMHO) and barrel stability (takes the stress out of the barrel).....the later one is the one I really care about. I've turned a few barrels down in my life time and cryo'd them and I have been more than happy with 10 shot group averages I;ve shot with them afterwards.....the bad news is, I cant really say how the groups would have been had I not cryo'd, hence the chicken soup statement.