Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Cleaning A Gun With Oil.

98sr20ve

Anyone ever done this. My wife hates the smell of Hopes solvent. After reading this forum I see a lot of you all don't clean your guns every time you shoot and you shoot a lot it seems. I use my gun for ccw, training and for match's so because its a ccw I want a relatively clean gun. It seems to me that using Hoppes solvent also takes away the good Graphite grease I use on the trigger transfer bar in the frame. So last night after shooting about 250rds or so I just dampened a patch with Hoppes Oil, used it to wipe out the rails and all the obvious powder. It was more like dusting your furniture. At the end I cleaned the barrel as well. I took another clean swab and rewiped everything to remove any oil (there really wasn't any major amount). Then I simply relubed the gun. Gun looks plenty clean to me, I do wonder if using a damp oil cloth is going to make the gun worse the next time I go shoot. Just to be clear the first oil swab was not dripping wet, just nicely damp, like a dustcloth. Any thoughts? Good Idea? Bad Idea?

Edited by 98sr20ve

I only really worry about any build-up of crude and carbon on the gun. Solvents likely cut thru the carbon better. But, whatever works...works.

One of the guys here recommends running some detergent motor oil on his guns. He is of the opinion that it keeps the crap from building up in the first place.

When I do a deep cleaning, I use some Simple Green (women usually don't hate the smell, as that don't associate it with "gun stuff"). Hot water and a brush. Hair dryer to get rid of moisture, then lube it back up.

You could probably do regular maintenance with oil for cleaning, just keep and eye on it to make sure the oil isn't getting gummy with dirt.

What kind of gun are you cleaning? My wife loaths the smell of cleaning chemicals, but thinks I'm either cooking a pie or doing the dishes when I clean my Glocks with Simple Green (fresh smelling and non-toxic) and water in the sink.

Tear it all apart, soak it, rinse of and dry with compressed air, add a couple drops of oil and you're set. Now you have a SUPER clean gun!

That's kinda the whole theory behind Breakfree and the other "CLP"'s-- a cleaner/luber/protector combo.

Clean is getting the goop off. Any way that works, works. I've been known to clean with FP10 many a time or two. If gunk won't come off with that, then the solvents come out.

My wife loves the smell of Kroil penetrating oil. Consequently I get no complaints when the smell wafts up from the basement and fills the house. It's pretty much the only solvent I use now. It gets under dirt and lifts it for wiping away. It is also great to leave a film of it in the bbl and chamber for storage between uses.

What kind of gun are you cleaning? My wife loaths the smell of cleaning chemicals, but thinks I'm either cooking a pie or doing the dishes when I clean my Glocks with Simple Green (fresh smelling and non-toxic) and water in the sink.

Tear it all apart, soak it, rinse of and dry with compressed air, add a couple drops of oil and you're set. Now you have a SUPER clean gun!

Hmm? Bakes pie and dose dishes.

Edited by hitman

Newlywed

;)

PS Most gun oils have a little solvent in them for cleaning. If it works it works. I like to clean my guns then use a non solvent like Breakfree LP to lube and protect

Edited by BSeevers

I clean the top end after every ~500 rounds or so and detail clean the entire gun every ~3-5K rounds. I only use oil and have never had any buildup that's required a solvent to get off. I do get powder residue around the ramp area of th bbl but a couple of swipes with a copper brush takes care of that.

MPro 7 (or whatever it's called now) has little odor, and what there is, is a pleasant (non-solvent) odor. And it does a good job cleaning. You will need to oil afterwards as the MPro 7 is not a lubricant.

I had tried, when Outers was developing their Super Solvent, to have it odorless or a pleasant odor, but the powers that be stated it would not sell if it smelled good, so it has some sort of unpleasant odor

Guy

If it came down to it, I'd wear a pink tutu if it meant a free pass to shoot 10+ majors next season :D

After a shooting session, I use a m16 style stiff brush and clean chamber ramp extractor face area. Quick dry brush of barrel. Wipe outside with any oil/protector stuff and put away.

When they malfunction tear it down use hot water and simple green, JB the bore, hair dry, oil/grease put away.

Different guns and different ammo's affects how long between tear downs. I know its lazy to wait for a malfunction but these are gaming guns.

My carry gun is different story, clean, shoot a few rounds, wipe then back in the fanny pack. Change ammo twice a year.

Kahr TP9. Think of it as a single stack Glock9mm. Stainless slide, plastic frame.

If it came down to it, I'd wear a pink tutu if it meant a free pass to shoot 10+ majors next season :D

I've met your wife ........................... don't count on it :lol:

Something to think about ....... if you clean your guns in the kitchen sink.

What are you removing besides carbon & powder ???

LEAD!

That's right. Lead is rinsing in and around your kitchen sink, where your wife cleans vegetables, and washes dishes, and maybe does other cooking prep. stuff.

Not a great idea. Better to use a bucket of Simple Green / water strictly for gun cleaning.

Just a quick tip for those of us that use Simple Green...I used to use an air compressor to blow out my guns after cleaning with Simple Green, but the compressor would take a while to fill up and would always kick back on while I was using the air blaster attachment creating plenty of noise. It was also a pain because I clean in my basement and would then have to go to the garage to blow out the gun. Hair dryers are nice because of the warm air, but I find that they don't have much force. I bought a small cheap shop vac from the Home Depot and moved the hose to the exhaust side. Now I have forceful air at the push of a button with no waiting. I also use one of the crevice tips to direct a tighter blast of air where I want it.

648846002842_3.jpg + 165721_3.jpg

A couple of years ago I read in the American Gunsmith Ins. magazine about some stuff they made. 1 part Brownells Pro Sheen 3 parts ammonia. It makes a very good powder solvent.

I've used it ever since. Kinda smelly with the ammonia, but for about 50 cents for 4 ounces I can deal with the smell.

Just to cover my butt, I have a P-14 45. I've have'nt tried it on a STI or similar make.

The ammonia will evaporate and the Pro Sheen will leave a light coating of oil so your gun won't be naked.

Edited by tazz45acp