Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Bad Chamber?

jm9x23

I am in the process of building 2 open guns on STI frames. I decided to go with STI TruBore barrels. The only difference between the guns is that one has a Les Baer slide and the other has a Caspian Slide. Both barrels were short chambered and I reamed them both to 38 super with a 38 Nonte reamer. Now for the problem One gun functions great but the other locks up when you fire a major or minor load. The shell actually locks itself into the chamber after being fired. I actually have to drop the mag and hold the slide tight with one hand and hit the frame pretty hard forward to get it to release.When I get the case out there are no scratches or bulges. I measured the case and it has a slight taper to it. I measured the chamber and it also has a slight taper(.002) from the front of the chamber to the rear. With a bore light I can see no ridges or irregularities in the chamber. I am ready to toss the barrel and start from scratch.

Any Ideas?

Edited by jm9x23

I am in the process of building 2 open guns on STI frames. I decided to go with STI TruBore barrels. The only difference between the guns is that one has a Les Baer slide and the other has a Caspian Slide. Both barrels were short chambered and I reamed them both to 38 super with a 38 Nonte reamer. Now for the problem One gun functions great but the other locks up when you fire a major or minor load. The shell actually locks itself into the chamber after being fired. I actually have to drop the mag and hold the slide tight with one hand and hit the frame pretty hard forward to get it to release.When I get the case out there are no scratches or bulges. I measured the case and it has a slight taper to it. I measured the chamber and it also has a slight taper(.002) from the front of the chamber to the rear. With a bore light I can see no ridges or irregularities in the chamber. I am ready to toss the barrel and start from scratch.

Any Ideas?

Too big at the chamber mouth or too small at the throat?-----Larry