Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

SIGHTING IN THE AIMPOINT COMP

Dennis Loh

I sighted in my Aimpoint Comp dead center on the A zone using a bench rest at 12 metres. When I shoot at 25 metres I noticed that I have to aim at the upper A zone somewhere between the A & B zone to get center hits on the A zone. Which means to say that the gun shoots low at far distance.

Can anybody explain this to me?

Actually iron-sight gun is the still the best as you do not have all these hassle and best of all no batteries are needed.

You're flinching or yanking the trigger. Unless you have your Aimpoint mounted below your barrel, or you are shooting .45 at super low velocity. There's no way a bullet could rise to meet point of aim at 12m then drop several inches by only 25m.

There is another possibility. If you are sure of your technique for group shooting, and this includes letting someone else shoot the pistol to double check, the problem could be your compensator. Sometimes the bullets get deflected by the comp due to gas dynamics or actually hitting a baffle. Different bullets behave differently. I had to bore out my comp to correct this. And, yes, people told me I was flinching. Wil Scheuman clued me in to this problem.

I went to the range again yesterday after having tighten the screws which came loose on Sunday to verify the sighting-in.

This time I sighted-in at 10 metres and got dead-center hits using a bench-rest. Tried at 25 metres and I have to shoot at the bottom half of the 'A' zone or somewhere between the 'A' & 'C' zone to get center hits. Within 10 metres I just place the dot on the target and you get center hits and as you move further away I have to aim slightly low to get center hits.

Went to the range yesterday to verify the sight. This time I deliberately shot groupings at 7 metres or so. I could get grouping like 3 shots in one hole. After that went to 25 metres and shot it. OK this time no problem is all in the 'A'zone and I do not have to deliberately aim low or high to get 'A' hits. Also found that the mount screws came loose again or on the verge of getting loose. This must be the fourth time the screws came loose. I was using the 'blue' & 'pink' Locktite then. Removed the screws, cleaned up the screw holes and screws with 'degreaser'. Applied the 'red' locktite which I think is near permanent and see how it goes. Thank you guys!!!!!

Dennis,

Kyle is right. Sighting in that close will cause very high hits at midrange (highest arc of the trajectory) with a scope mounted so high above the barrel. Try sighting in at 25 yards and see where you hit at ten. Tod Jarret advocates a 25 yard sight in. I had a comp problem so that comes to mind imediately.    However, the first post indicated low hits. Was this due to loose screws?

Once those screws get loose a few times they will damage the threads in the rings and it will be very hard to keep them tight. The screws are steel and the rings is aluminum and they get loose and "wallow" out the aluminum. Red locktite is probable the only answer.

Today I shot groupings at 25 metres and the groupings were about 1" above the point of aim which is the center 'A.

Proceed to 10 metres and the groupings were dead center.

Will stick to that and do not want to fiddle with it anymore. Red 'Locktite' works as the mount is dead solid.

I wonder how am I going to remove it the nextime?

Thanks for all the feedback.