Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

How About Clear Plastic For The Electric Case Feed Hopper?

I have to get a step stool to get an idea of how many cases are left in the hopper. I think it would be great if the hopper was made with clear plastic or had a substantial window for peering into the hopper without having to get up high.

My press is mounted kind of high (I'm 6'2 and can work it comfortably on a stool), so maybe this isn't a problem for guys without strong mounts and desk-height mounts.

When your reloading-fu is strong, grasshopper, you will be able to tell how many cases are left by the sound the brass makes. And by how many loaded cartridges you have made, or primers you have used.

+1

While the mirror will work, you will learn to recognize the sound and determine how many cases remain.

The same as I can tell when the last round chambers in my gun. There is a different feel to the recoil pulse.

Kenny

When your reloading-fu is strong, grasshopper, you will be able to tell how many cases are left by the sound the brass makes. And by how many loaded cartridges you have made, or primers you have used.

+1

While the mirror will work, you will learn to recognize the sound and determine how many cases remain.

The same as I can tell when the last round chambers in my gun. There is a different feel to the recoil pulse.

Kenny

Both statements really have a lot of truth to them.... I have yet to reach (total) cosmic oneness with my 1050s :wub: but I do know well in advance when the brass is getting low... ;)

My FU's on point, but have never really given a crap. When I hear the plate in the casefeeder tossin' a couple of cases, it's low. Depending on how many rounds I want to load if I'm there, I just load what's left. If I need to load more, then I throw in more brass. How do I know how many rounds I've loaded? Primers!

If I need some more rounds/primers, I simply ask the fiancee to load me another tube if she's available to do so, and done! Gotta love a redhead that likes fillin' primer tubes!!! If she's not, well...I do it. Duh.

Out of curiosity, why do you need to know how many are left? If it's to fill it up with more, then well listen to the rounds tumbling (or not tumbling). Or, look at the case drop tube. If it's 'cause you don't want to have any left over then well, can't really help that other than not to worry about it.

Just figure out how many of X caliber is in the case feed drop tube and work with that as a status of where you're at.

Rich

Why not just fill up ANYTIME ??

When I fill my powder hopper, I look and see if the brass needs refilled.

If it does .... then I do! :)

Depending on how many rounds I want to load if I'm there, I just load what's left. If I need to load more, then I throw in more brass.

So what you are saying is that sometimes you are just there ..... behind the press ..... watching the loading as it happens ... correcting what needs to be corrected, only because it needs correcting. ;)

Edited by CHRIS KEEN

Like most others, the sound tells me when I need to add more cases. If the motor runs for more than a second or two, it's close to empty. Plus, I can reach up over the edge and feel around in the hopper if need be.

Now what I would really like to see is an optional clear plastic cover for my CV-2001 case cleaner (like the smaller Midway tumbler I used to have). It was nice to be able to walk by and glance over to check the progress of the cases without stopping the motor and taking the lid off.

How 'bout it, Mr. Dillon? :)

Now what I would really like to see is an optional clear plastic cover for my CV-2001 case cleaner (like the smaller Midway tumbler I used to have). It was nice to be able to walk by and glance over to check the progress of the cases without stopping the motor and taking the lid off.

How 'bout it, Mr. Dillon? :)

Ditto. Pops has a Midway tumbler for small batches and the clear top is sweet!

[insert next Chris Keen comment 'cause he's on a roll today! :D ]

Rich

What you guys don't count out lots of 100 and put them in the hopper?

Yea I do that. :o

Every once in a while I shake it. If its getting empty I put more in. Sometimes it runs out on its own. I put more in. I don't think clear would work since it would cloud pretty quickly. And if its more money, why?

my 1050 hoppper growls when it's getting low on brass. I can also tell the difference the way the brass sounds when it is getting empty, but the growling is neat. I know mine is not the only one to do this, as I was told to expect it when I got the press.

When the tapocketa, tapocketa, tapocketa, of cases dropping into the top of the tube ceases, I load a few more, then throw a bunch of brass in the hopper.

When loading, I'm looking in the case on the upstroke, looking for the spent primer to drop on the downstroke. I'd have to get a bullet feeder to free up some time to look at the case feeder once in a while.

:unsure: