Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Rem 1100 Shells Moving Past Shell Stop

Craiger

My Remington 1100 with choate mag tube and speed loader gate has developed a problem all of the sudden a shell from the mag tube moving past the feed latch or shell stop “The part that holds the shells in the mag tube” approx. 1/8” and causing the feed latch to come in contact with the shell and causing a jam. Sometimes I just have to push the shell back into the mag tube so the feed latch reengages the shell, but I have had the shell jam under the carrier and this type of jam is near impossible to clear.. Any thoughts or remedies would be appreciated..

Thanks in advance,

Craiger

The part the shell is jumping past is called the interceptor latch. This can be caused by several reasons:

1. Ammo shell diameter is too small. Have you changed ammo lately?

2. The face of the interceptor latch is broken.

3. The interceptor latch has been "fixed" by someone with an unlicensed Dremel tool. ;-)

4. That same unlicensed Dremel tool 'hogged out' the mag tube for faster reloading, thus making the mag tube opening too big, allowing the round to slide past the interceptor latch.

4. The post and "C" clip that holds the interceptor latch is worn. The interceptor latch should lay flat on the receiver and should not flop around. FYI, Remington has three different thicknesses of "C" clips. Thicker the clip, tighter the Interceptor latch will lay on the reciever. Check Brownells for replacements.

The easiest fix and first thing to try is to replace the interceptor latch with a new one. If that doesn't work, you need to have someone with experience take a look. As tempting as is may be to polish the face of the interceptor latch, don't do it. Drop a new one in and shoot it a while.

The part the shell is jumping past is called the interceptor latch. This can be caused by several reasons:

1. Ammo shell diameter is too small. Have you changed ammo lately?

2. The face of the interceptor latch is broken.

3. The interceptor latch has been "fixed" by someone with an unlicensed Dremel tool. ;-)

4. That same unlicensed Dremel tool 'hogged out' the mag tube for faster reloading, thus making the mag tube opening too big, allowing the round to slide past the interceptor latch.

4. The post and "C" clip that holds the interceptor latch is worn. The interceptor latch should lay flat on the receiver and should not flop around. FYI, Remington has three different thicknesses of "C" clips. Thicker the clip, tighter the Interceptor latch will lay on the reciever. Check Brownells for replacements.

The easiest fix and first thing to try is to replace the interceptor latch with a new one. If that doesn't work, you need to have someone with experience take a look. As tempting as is may be to polish the face of the interceptor latch, don't do it. Drop a new one in and shoot it a while.

1.. No been shooting Rem Nitro Gold and Sporting load. First time it ever acted was on a slug stage has continued since.

2.. Not sure what to look for..

3-4.. No never been Dremeled

4 Not sure again what to look for..

Just to be sure I understand, in the Remington Manual part# 43 states Feed latch are we talking about the same thing?

Having gone back and looked at the parts list I have found the interceptor latch and see that this is not the same as the feed latch.

I can hit the forearm firmly with the palm of my hand and the shell will pop off the feed latch approx. 1/8" out of the mag tube far enough that the end of the gate cannot move without hitting the back of the shell.. The feed latch is just barely catching the shell. Can I bend the feed latch slightly to make more contact with the shell or am I am I not seeing the forest for the trees

The feed latch is just barely catching the shell. Can I bend the feed latch slightly to make more contact with the shell or am I am I not seeing the forest for the trees

The feed latch is usually staked on. If you try to bend it it might break away from the stakes.

But if you don't care... bend away. On one of my 1100's the feed latch is not staked. It works fine without the staking but is harder to put back together. I use a cut up toothpick to hold the feed latch to the receiver when I reattach the trigger assembly to the receiver. I just have to be sure to shake-out the toothpick after it has been reassembled. :P

The feed latch is just barely catching the shell. Can I bend the feed latch slightly to make more contact with the shell or am I am I not seeing the forest for the trees

The feed latch is usually staked on. If you try to bend it it might break away from the stakes.

But if you don't care... bend away. On one of my 1100's the feed latch is not staked. It works fine without the staking but is harder to put back together. I use a cut up toothpick to hold the feed latch to the receiver when I reattach the trigger assembly to the receiver. I just have to be sure to shake-out the toothpick after it has been reassembled. :P

Well here is an update. I took a small c-clamp and clamped the feed latch into the groove and slightly bent the latch to catch a little more of the shell. I also cut the mag spring back to where it is about 8" past the mag tube. The results are mixed, It has improved to only 2 failures in two boxes of shells but these two failures happened in the same test. 3rd run through the mag. Run 1 no malf. Run 2 no malf. Run 3 two malf. shot5 and shot8. run 4 & 5 also no problems. I called and talked to a Smith who is a Remington Certified but he does trap and skeet guns and he told me the interceptor latch keeps only the last round from flying out. :huh: He also said I could bend the feed latch slightly but warned about going to far as it will not release the next shell. Will see how it runs at our local 3 gun match Sunday.

Thanks to everyone who posted.

Craiger

• 3 weeks later...

Well here is an update. I took a small c-clamp and clamped the feed latch into the groove and slightly bent the latch to catch a little more of the shell. I also cut the mag spring back to where it is about 8" past the mag tube. The results are mixed, It has improved to only 2 failures in two boxes of shells but these two failures happened in the same test. 3rd run through the mag. Run 1 no malf. Run 2 no malf. Run 3 two malf. shot5 and shot8. run 4 & 5 also no problems. I called and talked to a Smith who is a Remington Certified but he does trap and skeet guns and he told me the interceptor latch keeps only the last round from flying out. :huh: He also said I could bend the feed latch slightly but warned about going to far as it will not release the next shell. Will see how it runs at our local 3 gun match Sunday.

Thanks to everyone who posted.

Craiger

Craiger,

Your smith is unclear as to the function of the interceptor latch, or misunderstood your difficulty. In that he works on three shell guns, he is right.

The interceptor latch holds the second shell to be loaded in the chamber back until the fired shell is ejected, and the "shell in waiting" is lifted to, and loaded in the chamber.

If you watch the interceptor latch, it drops out of the way every time the hammer falls, allowing the shell in the mag tube, pushed by the mag spring, to move back to the feed latch, where it is stopped by the feed latch. The feed latch is cycled by the bolt traveling rearward, allowing the "shell in waiting" to move rearward onto the carrier, which lifts the shell to the chamber, whereupon the bolt will move forward to chamber the shell.

I would guess either your interceptor latch is broken, or the pivot is loose, allowing the shell rim to slip past it. Brownells sells a circlip kit with 3 different thicknesses of circlip to address the looseness.

All of this assumes your gas system is properly assembled and functioning correctly. Many strange things happen when the action is "short stroked".

Archived