Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

147 grn bullets

TMC

I have a SV with a 5" tribrid barrel.  I'm trying to work up a good load and was shooting 124's at about 1300 fps so I'm not up to major yet.  What I did notice is that the gun recoils down.  The dot drops and then come back up.  To lessen this effect I was thinking of going to 147grn bullets at 1150 fps to reduce the amount of gas and comp effect.  Any opinions or load suggestions?

Friends of mine are shooting 147 grs for training.

But they keep their match loads with 124 grs.

The 147 grs is mainly used (here in france) with a slower powder to produce enough pressure to work with their guns, sometimes "heavily" comped !

So I'm not sure you will produce less pressure .

DVC

Julien

:)

A few friends of mine and I all shoot 147 gr. bullets with VV3N37 (6.3 gr.).  We shoot in a couple of leagues where the targets are a little older, the ground is a little soft at times (causing steel to sink and be uneven) and frequent use of "block heads", a piece of birch or other wood 6"x8"x16", sitting on a small stand). I've seen 124s zip right through the block heads and leave it standing. The 147s tend to encourage marginally set or hard set targets to fall a little faster.

I prefer to shoot my 45 acp with 200 gr. on these kinds of stages just to get the extra snap of the targets falling.

Happy shooting!

I shot 147 grainers for a couple of years when I first started loading 9X21.  I was a little concerned with loading major in such a small cartridge, so I started with lead bullets and then moved to Ranier 147 truncated cones.  I was also concerned because I had a .38 Super barrel go to s**t on me after shooting 135 and 124 gr. major loads.....I was afraid it was the light bullets.  Once I got some experience loading 9X21 I began lowering the bullet weight.  Now I shoot 124 plated bullets with 3N37 and make major no problem.  It's one of the softest major loads I've shot.

The 147's aren't as snappy in your hand as the 124's; the 147's have a little bit more of a rolling recoil, as opposed to straight up and back, but I feel this makes th dot not track as well.  You deff. "feel" like the load is lower in pressure.  I don't know anything about Tribrid, this is all in a typical 4 port comp.

I was loading what I had available which was Montana Gold 124's .356 with 7625 up to 7.6 grns which was pushing them about 1300 fps.  My buddy who is an excellent limited shooter and better at seening the sights was this:  

1.  gun dips down when fired.  causing the dot to drop   below target.

2.  dot bounces up when slide hits end of travel

3.  dot goes low again when slide closes

My thinking has changed a bit becuase the site is an optima mounted on the slide.  I got to thinking the dot travel is a teeter-totter effect becuase the dot is behind the grip not in front like a frame mounted c-more.  If my thining is correct that the gun is recoiling like most and I just need to push the bullet faster to get more comp effect.

C-less, is that what you do the C-more search with?

Thanks for the replys, I'm going to try some 147's and get the 124's to major.  Also 4756 and 3n37 powders .  I'll get it working I was just trying to speed up the process if anyone had already done the leg work.

Guest bulm5

I shoot with a guy that uses 147 gr with N 340 . seemed to be working fine in his gun. He has a very short comp. Used to be an excellent modified shooter.