Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

What Do You Think About Precision Delta Bullets

srrch

Hello All,

I'm ready to make a big purchase of bullets to get ready for IPSC and IDPA shooting in 2007. I was all set to go with Precision Cast (lead moly coated) bullets because they are very inexpensive.

Then I saw the price of the Precision Delta (jacketed) bullets. Precision Delta bullets are more expensive than lead, however they are the least expensive jacketed bullets I've seen.

I'm looking to buy 147 gr for 9mm and 230 gr for .45 acp. Let me know what your experiences have been with Precision Delta bullets (especially in those calibers).

I appreciate your help,

Thanks,

SrRch

I used 2k of the 147 9x19 and 165gr .40 fmj this year, and just bought 4k of the 230 jrn. They are great bullets, weigh their published weight or just a smidge more, are consistent, and they shoot great at 25yds with my match guns.

I shot the LTD nationals with the .40s and the gun ran like a top. My 9x19 production load clusters nicely with the 147s. My VV310 load with the 230 .45s shoot into one hole with my SS guns and my 625, which I plan on shooting more of next year. Other than them not being jhps I have nothing but good things to say about them, and will buy more.

Plus I love calling down to MS and hearing the southern drawl of the lady on the phone too.... ;)

They are match bullets for me, if I have to drive far away and stay in a motel, I dont want to scrimp on bullets.

My .02$. Hope it helps!

Regards,

DougC

Best Bullets for the money!!!!!

I have been using the .40 cal 180s and the .45 cal 230s for two years now and have not had any type problems, or complaints..........just wish Joe and crew were closer to me so I could just run by and pick some up when I need them.

Btw, the bullets are just as accurate or better than Montana Golds in my guns. ;)

Unless your gun just doesn't like them (I really doubt it though) you can't go wrong.

Hopalong

I just checked their website.

Seems they don't offer JHP's

Are they fully jacketed, or is the base leaded?

Does anyone have any issues with the non-JHP's?

I have been a loyal Montana Gold shooter, but their prices have gotten out of hand, so I am looking for a new bullet. I had decided to go with the Zero's from Chuck, but I am still open to suggestions.

They'e good bullets BUT watch for the base of the bullets to have flashing or rough edges from the copper jacket. This could cause an uneven gas release behind the bullet as it leaves the barrel and the corresponding loss of accuracy.

I pulled several from the last batch I had.....

Mick

A27257

I have used Precision Delta almost exclusively for about a year now.

They have performed reasonably well in my guns.

My only complaint is that the jacketed bullets have an exposed lead base.

This creates a fair amount of smoke regardless of which powder I use.

That is a major issue for me.

I have developed some loads for my open gun using a Zero JHP with excellent results.

I bought 1000 Zeros to try in my limited gun but haven't had an opportunity to test them yet.

I have several excellent Montana Gold loads for my limited and L10 guns and will continue to use them until I find something cheaper that performs as well or better.

I spent about a kazillion dollars every year in IPSC competition.

I'm not going to undercut my own efforts by compromising on ammo quality to shave a few bucks per 1000

Price matters. Performance matters.

The trick is to find a way to get both.

Tony

Zeros are good! I've never had any problem with them. No deformed bullets or empty hollowpoints or bad bases...

Try to find someone to buy upwards of 50,000 or more with and get a better deal sent on a pallet rather than shipped by mail etc....

I once did that with STAR and got a heck of a deal!!!

Mick

A27257

Precision Delta are good accurate bullets. I do always have some rejects that have to be tossed. I hope I haven't loaded any :huh:

The base has exposed lead, so they smoke more than JHPs. I also received a couple thousand that were covered in something kind of sticky and had to tumble them before using them. Not a huge deal, but I didn't spend half a fortune on equipment to have components cause me to perform an additional step. Removing case lube is bad enough.

I went back to the Rainier 180 HPs I used in the past. No rejects and are accurate in all my guns, regardless of caliber (.38 Super/minor, .40, and .45). Also switched my wife over to Rainier as well when her G35 liked them.

Thanks all for the info.

The smoke issue is a real concern for me. Lately I've been shooting Precision Cast lead moly coated (147 gr fp). I get no smoke at all from those bulllets. The inside of my barrell was coated had these "streaks". I assume it is the moly coating. However, it came off very quickly with a brass bore brush.

They are fairly accurate, however, I've never actually performed a side by side accuracy test.

My plan is to buy about 10 to 15000 147 gr bullets in bulk soon. I'm still waffling a little but I'm leaning towards the moly coated bullets. Below is a price comparison for all the bullet All prices include shipping except for Zero. Bulk discounts have also been added for all.

Montanna Gold Bullets are excellent, however at that price, I may as well buy factory ammo.

If there is anyone in Michigan that would like combine an order to get the best pricing, please e-mail me

Bullet Bullet Price for Price

Company Shape 10,000 Per bullet

Precision Cast FP 473.50 0.0474

Precision Delta FMJ-RN 560.00 0.0560

Berrys (from Berrys) FP 609.60 0.0610

zero (powder valley) RN 612.75 0.0613

Rainer (from Midway) FP 666.51 0.0667

Rainer (from Cabelas) FP 713.55 0.0714

Montanna Gold CMJ 752.75 0.0753

Edited by srrch

I've shot approx 10K of the Precison Delta 9mm 147's. Never had a problem. I didn't notice any more smoke than with other bullets. The usual time between order and delivery is usually just a few days. If they are temporarily out of stock they have called me to ask if it's OK that my order will take a few additional days. Good product and good customer service.

Keith

I don't notice the smoke when I am shooting.

However, it is there and there is quite a bit of it.

When going back and looking at match video it is quite apparent that my gun is smoking a lot more than most other shooters.

It doesn't bother my shooting, I just don't want to be breathing it.

If I had a blood test for lead my doctor would probably slap me when he saw the results.

Tony

Edited by tlshores

Hello All,

I'm ready to make a big purchase of bullets to get ready for IPSC and IDPA shooting in 2007. I was all set to go with Precision Cast (lead moly coated) bullets because they are very inexpensive.

Then I saw the price of the Precision Delta (jacketed) bullets. Precision Delta bullets are more expensive than lead, however they are the least expensive jacketed bullets I've seen.

I'm looking to buy 147 gr for 9mm and 230 gr for .45 acp. Let me know what your experiences have been with Precision Delta bullets (especially in those calibers).

I appreciate your help,

Thanks,

SrRch

After loading my first k of 147 fmj's I am impressed. They look, and actually are, "dirtier" than Rainiers, but function flawlessly. You'd really want to wear a rubber glove on your bulett feeding hand, though.

srrch,

Grafs sells Berrys for less than the factory. Checked prices a couple of weeks ago @ $55.66 for 2M on 147RN 9m/m. Believe Grafs has even better prices in the quantity you are looking at. Website is grafs.com. I was leaning toward Precision delta until this thread. No open bases for me!

I got a good first couple K of the PD 180 FMJ's. The next 10K order I got wasn't consistent.

Only one box of the ten had the consistent bullets I had gotten before. The other nine had bullets of varying meplats and ogives, making loading consistent ammo with consistent OAL impossible. The bullets are usable only for practice (I am not willing to put a hot powder charge in the case and have it 15 thousandths shorter than the OAL I need for safe pressure).

Just my own personal experience.

I have used the Precision Delta 230 with no problems, however I have also been using the Precision 230s and can't see that the FMJs are that much better. I use them in my S & W 25 and 625 and accuracy is good in both with no smoke using VV N320. I would like the Precisions to have a rounder nose, rather than the flat point, but it is not enough to make me switch.

I live less than 100 miles from precision delta and I order my bullets from Rainier. They are total copper plated and have worked well for me for the past 5 years. My friends and I get together and order at least 100,000 at a time once a year.The price is good and that many at one time shipping is included.

I live less than 100 miles from precision delta and I order my bullets from Rainier. They are total copper plated and have worked well for me for the past 5 years. My friends and I get together and order at least 100,000 at a time once a year.The price is good and that many at one time shipping is included.
Edited by rooster cogburn