Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Spartan Q's

Nemo

No answer in the first impressions thread to my first question:

Does it make a significant difference the fact that the Spartan has a chromed barrel? Are there durability or accuracy considerations to chromed barrels vs. SS or ITW/blued steel?

My other question is:

What's the size of the front sight dovetail? Any Dawson FO front that fits?

Hello: The Spartan has a fiber optic front sight similar to a EGW type. I would change the insert though. The chromed barrel should slide easier than the stainless and will resist wear better. The slide to frame fit is very good. I would say for the money it is the best buy out there for a 1911. I wished they made it in 40 S&W though. Hope this helps. Thanks Eric

i talked to STI at area 4 this year about the spartan..the barrel they say is not hard chromed, but just polished stainless.

The front sight is my only beef with the pistol..fiber sits too low.

IMO this is the best entry level 1911 made..nice trigger, nothing fancy, just gets the job done!

Harmon

i talked to STI at area 4 this year about the spartan..the barrel they say is not hard chromed, but just polished stainless.

The front sight is my only beef with the pistol..fiber sits too low.

I believe reading the barrel was chromed. I'll double check. Will also ask about the front sight because it looks short and fat, just like me. ;)

Edited by Nemo

I would send that piece of junk right back to the PI

PS Chromed barrels are usually associated with long wear characteristics instead of ultimate accuracy like an air gauged broached SS ones but I really don't know if this applies here. Or anywhere.

Edited by BSeevers

Nemo

I have tried a BUNCH of different ammo with the gun. Found some today the gun won't run with.

116672657-L.jpg

The ones I loaded right side up worked fine. ;)

Dang!!!

You mean it won't shoot boat tail wadcutters? :huh:

What good is it then? :blink:

Neal in AZ

Nemo

I have tried a BUNCH of different ammo with the gun. Found some today the gun won't run with.

116672657-L.jpg

The ones I loaded right side up worked fine. ;)

I think the gun would probaly run with that ammo, but Merlin keeps putting it in the mags nose forward.--------Larry

Dawson has the Spartan .45 for $570. Does anyone know if they are going to make it in .40 or 9mm? I'd love to have one in 9mm. Heck for $570 I would probably need a .40 and a 9.

Hey I need to try that boat tailed wadcutter load. I'm a little backwards anyway it would probably fit me. :D