Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Target To Target Splits

Sam

I'm trying to improve my splits on rifle targets at intermediate distances. I could sure use some benchmarks to work toward. What would be considered good, very good, and totally awesome for splits with a scoped bolt gun on 8" plates at 400yds? Thanks!

I think you need to be more specific as to how far the targets are from each other.

Are the two targets are within the "tube" (you don't have to prarie dog to acquire the next target)?

Shooting position? Prone? Over a barricade? Sitting? Kneeling?

If the targets are in the tube from a benched position, from an uncompensated rifle, medium bore cartridge (.308), ~425 yards and no wind... My memory says I can do the above in 2.5-4 seconds. I'll see if I can time it next time.

So for the above I'd say 1.5-2 seconds would be good with better equipment.

tongue in cheek..............I believe KurtM can do it in 1-1.5, which means Benny and Kelly can do it .25 to .30 faster than that :lol::P and thats probably loading weakhand!!!!!

In all seriousness, 3 secs. would make you very competitive, in the recent (august) Raton Team carbine Rifle match, I RO'd some very good teams, and Tate(the snake hater)Moots, was getting hits, from prone, with scope adjustments, and targets from 400 to 600, with 50 to 200 yds lateral movement, in 3 to 5 secs.

Trapr

I haven't tested the transition splits, but have done same target tests on a 3" orange dot at 100 yards, from a bipod in prone position, I can do it as fast as 2.25 to 2.5 seconds shot to shot just working the bolt from a full magazine and about right around 3.5 seconds shot to shot by chucking in a new round by hand between each shot. I can actually get the shots off a little faster but the above speeds generated a tight little group in the middle of the dot, any faster and I start throwing the shots out near the edges of the dot ;-)

This is a similar timeframe to what a good NRA High Power Rifle shooter can do when shooting the rapid fire strings although they may spend up to 4--5 seconds per shot because the have the ability to do so and still get done in time (fixed time course).

Hey everyone, thanks for the input!

Sorry my question wasn't clear. I'm just doing shot-to-shot splits on the same target right now. And I'm working prone with a bipod and a rice bag under the grip. I'm nowhere near quick yet.

George, I think I'll try some 3" dot drills at 100 for a while to help me develop the technique.

Learning the rifle game is going to take some time. Right now, I'm accurate, but ponderously slow.

I gotta go stoke up some more rounds now so I can whack steel at dawn. The forecast is for 6" of snow and plenty 'o wind. Schweet!

Archived