Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

.355 Major?

.38 Super loaded to major is THE only way for open division.

I'm not sure why this would surprise anyone. :huh:

<<<<<< PS See gun in avatar <<<<<<<<

Chris - I know where you can get the gun pictured in your avatar converted to 9mm Major for a reasonable price. :D

38 Super major in Open-Fact

38 Super major in everything else- Fiction

115 gr bullets, any powder, major in 38 Super- Fact

115 gr bullets, any powder, major in 9mm - Fill in the blank :o

Sorry I am jealous that I have to pick up brass. B)

"IMHO" Yes Super or Super Comp is the way to go if you are a GM trying to win at a big match. You then need the little bit of extra efficiency the slightly larger case capacity will give you. When you are in that top 10 rare air the gun WILL make a difference.

For the rest of mere mortals that need the practice much more than we need the cutting edge of gun performance, practicing LOTS will help more than the gun performance. And getting that extra 2 in the big stick does help!

For ME at my level, "A-class", it is purely practical & financial that 9mm is the choice. It allows me to shoot Open and practice, practice and practice some more to improve the myriad of other skills I need to improve. Not to mention its just fun to listen to Super shooters whine about brass. ;)

When you are in that top 10 rare air the gun WILL make a difference.

So a glock is definetly the better gun for limited because it won limited nats? :huh::ph34r: IMHO the gun matters less and less as you get to the top.

38 supercomp would be my first choice for open if I had the money to not pick up the brass...

Edited by Matt Cheely

38 supercomp would be my first choice for open if I had the money to not pick up the brass...

I'm curious, do you mean not pick up the brass while practicing or at matches? I spent 60 seconds at matches picking up my brass, any more time than that and I feel like I'm getting in the way of the next shooter. While practicing, with any caliber, I probably retain 99% of my brass.

I'm curious, do you mean not pick up the brass while practicing or at matches? I spent 60 seconds at matches picking up my brass, any more time than that and I feel like I'm getting in the way of the next shooter. While practicing, with any caliber, I probably retain 99% of my brass.

I can get back brass from practice with little problem. But I shoot a lot of matches, and the ranges i frequent are usually very uncooperative in regards to finding your brass...

I can get back brass from practice with little problem. But I shoot a lot of matches, and the ranges i frequent are usually very uncooperative in regards to finding your brass...

Around here, we don't pick up brass at a match, local or sectional/area. I know it may still be an old custom in a few places, but fewer and fewer places seem to do it.

Around here, we don't pick up brass at a match, local or sectional/area. I know it may still be an old custom in a few places, but fewer and fewer places seem to do it.

Man.. that would leave an ugly range fast.. I hate trying to shoot right after the carbine match-- nobody picks brass, so you're roller-skating around on a sea of trash .223 until it rains enough to soak in.

Even at the local IPSC matches there's enough people that care to at least sweep the junk off to the side most of the time.

At local matches around here if you get on a squad with Super or .45 shooters a lot of brass picking goes on. Not so much if you squad with a bunch of lazy-ass 9 shooters ;)

The ONLY thing I dislike about OPEN is the brass problem. 9mm is virtually free, .40 can be real cheap. Super/comp/TJ/whatever is EXPENSIVE! But the longer case works better in Open guns....

Mick

A27257

"Real" 130 gr 38 Super is .356 but most barrels are made .355 today and you then ream the chamber out to 9 x 19, 9 x 21, 38 Super, 38 SuperComp, Etc.

Most guns will run either diameter bullet and some bullet companies sell both. If not use what works.

PS My gun has run 90 grain to 160 grain in both diameters

Edited by BSeevers

The ONLY thing I dislike about OPEN is the brass problem. 9mm is virtually free

9mm brass is getting expensive also. I can't find anyone selling clean single headstamp brass for less than $20/K + shipping that doesn't have 'other' (.380 auto, .22, etc.) brass in it.

You might get lucky on Ebay but I haven't been so fortunate. If you can get it virtually free, you're very fortunate.

The title noted .355 major, and in his post he comments on 38 super making major. So I have to ask. I thought 38 super was .356 and not .355 and that 9mm is .355. Is 38 super also .355?

I no longer shoot "38 Super" bullets......primarily just 9mm bullets in my Super today. However, when I did shoot bullets labeled as "38 Super" - they were actually .3555, not exactly .356. Now those bullets were sold as CP Bullets, which I think were actually made by Zero at the time.