Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

S&w M&p Or Xd Tactical For Production Division?

tenchu74

Hey guys! I currently shoot a Kimber Target Match 45 in L10 or Heavy metal for 3gun. But am thinking about shooting production just to change things up and was considering a XD Tactical in 9mm. And then all of a sudden the M&P 9mm comes out with rave reviews! Decisions! Decisions!

Of those of you've who have used these 2 weapons in competition which do you prefer? Which ever one I choose I will get a trigger job and fiber optic sights.

Is the extra length of the XD tactical better or is it not an issue? Which is a faster shooting platform? Thanks for the advice!!

Steve

I have both. They're both good platforms and it just depends on what you like better.

IMO, both will need sights and a trigger job (like every other stock gun).

SA's policy of not selling most parts for the XD is a turn off to me.

I'd shoot the Glock. :ph34r:

I shoot the XD and love it. I'll agree springfields parts policy is BS but I'll live with it for now. Chris has a good point, lots of good stuff for glocks, I just didn't like the grip angle. I didn't like the way the trigger worked on the MP either.

Probably not what you want to hear, but I'm with Chris -- get a glock 34 or 17. I've practiced and competed with the same G34 for two years, at least 25,000 rounds on that gun. Never jammed -- not once. Eventually the aftermarket extra-power trigger spring broke, but that was because it was aftermarket, extra-power, and used on a drilled trigger bar. The glock is utterly reliable. My trigger is awesome -- fairly crisp, medium light, with a strong return.

A lot of good shooters use CZs or Sigs or XDs. But more good shooters, numbers-wise, shoot glocks. The CZ shooters prefer a heavier gun. The XD shooters prefer a different grip angle, or have big hands and get bitten by the glock slide. Sig shooters are just different. I don't know anybody who shoots an M&P who is not sponsered by S&W. The parts availability, and ease of adjustment and conversion, make the glock the logical choice for a production gun. My $.02 -- don't ask for change.

-br

Edited by joker22

Yeah, I just don't care for the looks of the Glock. Not to mention, everybody and their brother shoots one of those. I kinda want something other than the standard but still competitive. I really like the lines of the M&P but maybe I'll wait till there are more accessories and user input for the gun. I do have a beretta 92g Elite II I could use if I want to shoot production now.

Steve

Steve, it sounds like you are starting to answer your own question. I fully support you getting whatever you want for any reason, but make sure you are honest with yourself!

Forum posts won't be able to sway you one way or the other; you'll have to go shoot them both and think about what is important to you.

In fact, that's what I did! I'm so smart! :ph34r::P

I've been shooting an XD now for almost two years in Production. I started out with an XD-9 Service that now has over 12K rounds through it. I then bought a XD-9 Tactical about a year ago. It now has 11K rounds though it. I had an extractor break on the Service after about 11K rounds. Other than that, both guns have been troble free.

Both have a Canyon Creek trigger job. Nearly everyone who shoots them lusts for that trigger. This includes Open, Limited and Production shooters.

I've shot the M&P and it is a very nice pistol. However, it still comes in only the 4.25" barrel length, doesn't have as sweet a trigger even after being worked on, and has far fewer accessories although the list is expanding rapidly. It is a fine gun too but I like my XD better. Maybe I'll be swayed if they ever produce a 5" model.

I've shot about a half-dozen differen Glock models. It is an excellent pistol but, like many others, I just couldn't get comfortable with the grip angle.

The good news is that no matter which path you follow, you'll end up with an excellent pistol.

I was shooting an XD tactical 9 with Dawson sights and a Canyon Creek trigger job for a while, but decided to go to a CZ SP01. The CZ shoots a bit flatter and I like the heavier gun. The only down side I saw to the XD is Springfield parts policy. I didn't like the idea of having to send a competition pistol off for a couple of weeks to get it fixed. I just got an M&P but I like it so far.

I've practiced and competed with the same G34 for two years, at least 25,000 rounds on that gun. Never jammed -- not once.

I gotta tell ya, I have seen a lot of Glocks choke at matches over the past couple years. Dozens. I suspect the vast majority of it can be related to (1) bad reloaded ammo, (2) way too much lube and gunk on a gun that's meant to be run nearly dry, and/or (3) the installation of various aftermarket junk. Still, I'm part of a growing group of shooters who starts to snicker when we hear about how incredibly reliable Glocks are, because we've seen lots of Glocks jamming in matches.

I no longer snicker at glocks with problems. I've come to the conclusion that nearly any gun related problem is actually a shooter related problem. The gun or ammo is set up wrong and that is the shooter's fault.

I can easily say the only problems I've had with my G35 (actually my wife's) were caused by me learning how to tweak it. Hopefully after last weekend's fiasco with cold weather, I know have half a clue how to keep the gun running. My fault again.

When I was shooting L-10 several years ago with a Colt .38 Super converted to .45 auto using a $50 slide and other such quality components, I'm pretty sure the glocksters were laughing their butts off. At least they finally got to calm down once I bought the Kimber. The Para I shoot now hasn't given anyone any chuckles either.

I really like the G35. However I'm tempted to set my wife up with a M&P just because glock hasn't figured out that offering an interchangable backstrap might be a good idea. Probably I'll just buy her the alloy frame when it comes out if it's Limited legal.

My concern with the XD is the bore appears to be really high. I've been feeling sorry for the women saddled with this gun, as any that I've seen flipped all over the place during recoil. Maybe that was also shooter related since I haven't had a chance to shoot one yet, but from what I've seen the XD would be my last choice. How does the XD really compare to the S&W or Glock in this regard?

biggest difference i see is how they fit your hand.

go with what fits you best, and what you are happy with. the M&P holds one more round if your worried for IPSC . If you are going 40. i'd say M&P because of capacity.

both can have great triggers. are very reliable, and point about the same. the XD is a little small for my big paws though.

I couldn't disagree more to the point of the M&P sitting low in the hand. I have fired a 4" XD 40 and my current M&P 40. The XD is very flippy due to the higher bore axis. The M&P sits much lower (at least in MY hand). This was one of the things that drew me to this pistol.

My concern with the XD is the bore appears to be really high.

Neither the XD or M&P sit as low in the hand as the Glock. I think the M&P sits lower than the XD.

I couldn't disagree more to the point of the M&P sitting low in the hand. I have fired a 4" XD 40 and my current M&P 40. The XD is very flippy due to the higher bore axis. The M&P sits much lower (at least in MY hand). This was one of the things that drew me to this pistol.

Neither the XD or M&P sit as low in the hand as the Glock. I think the M&P sits lower than the XD.

TRP-

I didn't say that the M&P sits too low in the hand. I said it sits lower than the XD but not as low as the Glock. I wish it sat lower.

AH! Gotcha. Yeah, I'll agree with you that the M&P doesn't fit as low in my hand as the Glock, but I have to admit, it doesn't seem to have the amount of percieved recoil as the Glock either...strange.... I think the M&P is more controllable due to the grip angle, and adjustablility in the different back straps.

Take care CHP5.

TRP-

I didn't say that the M&P sits too low in the hand. I said it sits lower than the XD but not as low as the Glock. I wish it sat lower.

• 1 month later...

I think all of you have made some good points as far as the differences between these pistols. Now for my .02. My department just swithed to the M&P9. I got to tell you "I love this pistol!" I used it in production for the last half of 2006. I ended 2006 as a "C" class shooter in my first year shooting USPSA. That is with no trigger job, special grips, or anything but factory parts (this is a department firearm, I'm not allowed to modify it). I have no experience with the XD, so no comment. But as for the Glock, it doesn't work for me at all. The angle of the grip is so different from any other firearm I've shot. The NPA, for me, is way off using a Glock. As for parts and accessories, I can foresee ample amounts of both in the near future.

Honestly you can't go wrong with any of them. I've got 7 Glock 9mm's. Two are set up for competition. They are workhorses and time has proven that they are reliable and win major competitions. I still love them and find them very easy to shoot.

The XD is also a great gun. It has the highest bore axis of the three which makes muzzle flip a bit more noticable. With a good trigger job the XD is sweet and it is offered in the Tactical model with nearly 5" barrel for a better sight radius. the downside to SA's XD is their parts availability.

The M&P is the newest kid on the block with tons of hype. I can say that the hype is pretty spot on. It is a great shooting gun once the trigger has had a little work. Ernie is working hard over at S&W for them to meet competitors demands and produce certain model types. The longer slide version is soon to be available around May from what they told me at SHOT. The changable back straps will surely make the gun fit your hands and ambi controls are a big plus for the lefties. It still does not allow for the gun to sit as low in the hand as a Glock due to the large beaver tail protruding from the rear. With the beavertail elimintated it would allow you to choke up on the gun for more control but then it would not be production legal. I did the trigger work on mine myself based on instruction from Ernie at Area 6 3 gun match. It is very easy and it makes for a reliable sub 3 pound trigger and the reset can be shortened to nothing. Plenty of sights are also now available to fit the M&P. You've got Dawson,Warren,Burwell,10-8,XS, and soon to be Heinie. 9mm mags have been hard to come by lately but they can be found if you follow up with who carries them. They are a bit more pricey than Glock and XD mags but feed very well,drop free,and they are metal and also load very well into the gun under stress.

I currently shoot the M&P and love it and do well with it. It has a great natural POA for me which is unusual because I shoot every gun 3" low with fixed sights on it. I put the 10-8 sight on mine and it shots POA for me.

Any of the tupperware pistols you choose will give you a solid and reliable production platform.

I will never abandon my Glocks. I have had them for a long time and will continue to keep them. They are stashed all over my house and in bug out bags. I have over 100 Glock 17 mags from over the years. Glocks are great guns,always go bang, and easy and straight forward to use. What more could you ask for? Ken Hackathorn says it well. Glocks are freaking awesome.....they are just the only gun that comes out of the box with no pride in ownership. :lol:

Edited by 00bullitt

Honestly you can't go wrong with any of them. I've got 7 Glock 9mm's. Two are set up for competition. They are workhorses and time has proven that they are reliable and win major competitions. I still love them and find them very easy to shoot.

The XD is also a great gun. It has the highest bore axis of the three which makes muzzle flip a bit more noticable. With a good trigger job the XD is sweet and it is offered in the Tactical model with nearly 5" barrel for a better sight radius. the downside to SA's XD is their parts availability.

The M&P is the newest kid on the block with tons of hype. I can say that the hype is pretty spot on. It is a great shooting gun once the trigger has had a little work. Ernie is working hard over at S&W for them to meet competitors demands and produce certain model types. The longer slide version is soon to be available around May from what they told me at SHOT. The changable back straps will surely make the gun fit your hands and ambi controls are a big plus for the lefties. It still does not allow for the gun to sit as low in the hand as a Glock due to the large beaver tail protruding from the rear. With the beavertail elimintated it would allow you to choke up on the gun for more control but then it would not be production legal. I did the trigger work on mine myself based on instruction from Ernie at Area 6 3 gun match. It is very easy and it makes for a reliable sub 3 pound trigger and the reset can be shortened to nothing. Plenty of sights are also now available to fit the M&P. You've got Dawson,Warren,Burwell,10-8,XS, and soon to be Heinie. 9mm mags have been hard to come by lately but they can be found if you follow up with who carries them. They are a bit more pricey than Glock and XD mags but feed very well,drop free,and they are metal and also load very well into the gun under stress.

I currently shoot the M&P and love it and do well with it. It has a great natural POA for me which is unusual because I shoot every gun 3" low with fixed sights on it. I put the 10-8 sight on mine and it shots POA for me.

Any of the tupperware pistols you choose will give you a solid and reliable production platform.

I will never abandon my Glocks. I have had them for a long time and will continue to keep them. They are stashed all over my house and in bug out bags. I have over 100 Glock 17 mags from over the years. Glocks are great guns,always go bang, and easy and straight forward to use. What more could you ask for? Ken Hackathorn says it well. Glocks are freaking awesome.....they are just the only gun that comes out of the box with no pride in ownership. :lol:

Burwell Gunsmithing can give the M&P a trigger job as good as most 1911's.

I have a XD .40 Tactical, a Glock 17 and the M&P. In my opinion, the M&P wins hands down. It has the best grip and the least felt recoil of the three.

Just a heads up, I started with an XD and though I loved the grip angle and the trigger on the gun (from Canyon Creek), the two that I owned where not very accurate and had lots of stuff break. I was using them pretty heavy, but three broken parts in 1 month was too much. Not being able to get parts is really the pits too. I sold them and shot a Glock for a while. The reason people shoot Glock's is they are so darn easy to take care of and have lots of accessories. I've been hearing a lot about the M&P but I don't know if they've been out enough to really tell (no offense, they may be the best thing out there). I'm currently using a CZ SP-01 and really love the gun, but it isn't for every one. You have to get used to a DA/SA gun and a heavier frame.

I sold them and shot a Glock for a while.

Z-man, curious as to why you switched off the Glock, grip angle I assume. Asking because I'm just not making a lot of progress with mine. By the way, the SDB I got from you is running wide open

Rik

I have had a Charlie setup G34 and have a Richard setup XD tactical. Both gun are very nice! I have found that the XD does set higher in the hand but has the grip angle of a 1911 and thats what I like! I put 10k rounds though the G34 NO PROBLEMS! I have put 5K though the XD NO PROBLEMS and still have not cleaned the gun! It your choice, try shooting both guns and see which one you like! As far as the M&P I would love to see one in 5.5"!