Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

How Are You Supposed To Clean .223 Cases?

Religious Shooter

I've been throwing the .223 brass into the tumbler and crushed walnut as media. But the media gets into the case and it becomes a pain when I remove the media from inside the .223 cases. They plugged up and I have to pry or shove a rod into the case to dislodge the media.

Is there a better way in cleaning .223 brass?

I use the crushed walnut from Petco and it's small enough that it does not do this in .223 cases. I use the big Dillon separator and rotate the shjt outa' the cases to get them emptied out. Any media will clump and clog cases if there is too much gunk like old polish, or liquid in the media.

Keep the media very small and fairly dry. I have had problems if I get too crazy with the polish. I get my media from the feed store. they sell it in different sizes an I make sure it is fine, not coarse.

The Dillon media sperarator works very well as others have said. The first time I tried it I was quite surprised that I did not have to stand there and empty them by hand.

the only issue is that the fine stuff gets stuck in the primer flash hole. Since I do all the prep on a single stage, I use a universal decaping die in station#1 to punch out any thing stuck.

I got the media from a pet store and it is actually corn cob and not walnut. I still have 23 lbs of the stuff.

While looking for a smaller grade of corn cob on the net I came upon a tip... use a blender to break down corn cob into smaller pieces.

I'll try that first. :P

If that doesn't work then I'll try the store bought fine corn cob and the Dillon media separator.

Grassy ass.

The last time I tumbled .223 with pet store corn cob every case was solidly plugged with media. Had to use a dental pick to get it out. This was the very coarse media from Wal-Mart or someplace like that.

Just make sure the media is fine. The walnut I get from a pet store works well.

I get my corn cob from Hi-tech ammo.. they sell it in I think 10 pound lots for $7/lot. I looked all around for this stuff and everyone was using the really course stuff. It works for larger cases but .223 and even .308 require you use the finer stuff. The web page I have for hi-tech is http://www.iidbs.com/hitech.zkb?root&G...mp;object-menu6

Vince