Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Clay Thrower?

indyshooter

If you want an even cheaper regular manual target thrower, the Trius brand is hard to beat.

I mounted one on a post in 1990, and it sits there in the weather and still works like new. Lube it every year or when needed.

Some people are selling some real junk for throwers these days. Many of them are so poorly made they are dangerous to operate.

Like the ones at the bottom of the following webpage?

http://www.mgmtargets.com/products/poppers.shtml

These are known as Clay Flippers.

The ones used for Skeet, Trap and Sporting Clays are another story.

+1 These rock. They will send a clay 15-20' up in the air.

4 of these with 4 pepper poppers make great practice with the shotgun.

load one

shoot the steel

load anther while the clay is in the air and smoke it.

repeat x3.

Do-All makes the Aerial Assault Automatic Trap. It is an electric thrower that allows you to load 50 birds and launch them by stepping on a foot switch. You can set up the unit up to 200 feet from where you stand. This allows you to launch your birds straight away or crossing, or even approaching your position.

They are available form several different locations. Natchesz Shooters Supply has them as does Cabelas. They run about $400. You will need a 12 volt battery.

Jim

A friend of mine bought two of the Aerial Assault throwers. One was incorrectly assembled & didn't work but Do-All made it right. You can add extension cords to the foot switch or get the new remote control. Set the thrower & walk around it for targets from any angle. Ton of fun & of course, good practice.

Shooting sporting clays with your shotgun will help too. Make sure you bring your choke tubes if you're set up with them. Ocassionally, I'll shoot one of my short barreled shotgun in my trap league. With the extension, it kinda looks like an over/under.The mag extension will get funny looks :D

Edited by Dan Sierpina

I think you'd be just as well off practice wise with a $10 hand thrower and a couple hundred bucks worth of shells and clays.

All you have to do is be really quick, Throw the bird, mount your gun and fire, hitting the bird before it hits the ground. Or you can get a friend to throw for you.

I like the electric thrower since I can throw from all sorts of places I wouldn't stand even if I was the shooter and I trust me.

On the cheaper side, THere are traps that you can connect a release cord to and trip yourself, but they will all only throw away from you, not fast crossers.

Jim

• 13 years later...