Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Single Stack Holsters.

Aircooled6racer

Hello: Since I'm totally confused on the single stack magazine holder answers I thought I would start a new one for the holsters. What is the best holster and legal holster for USPSA single stack competition? I would just like some simple answers that my small brain can work with. I appreciate all the help. Thanks Eric

Obviously I didn't try every possible holster that is available, however every one that I did try, other than the DOH, carried the frontstrap of the pistol at or above the top of the belt. In short, every holster I tried, other than the DOH, was fine. A 15 dollar Uncle Mike's Kydex holster works just fine.

Gary

Edited by Gary Stevens

If the rule is 1 5/8 from inner side of gun belt to the inside of the handgun my DOH will be legal.... :huh:

Holsters should be suitable for everyday use. Competition holsters of

the race gun type are specifically not allowed. All retention features of the

holster must be used. The holster, must carry the pistol so that the grip front

strap is at or above the top of the belt. The holster, must not be cut further

than 1/2 inch below the front of the ejection port and cover the slide

completely up to 1/2 inch below the ejection port. A belt slide holster, such

as a Yaqui slide, is exempt from the covering the slide and the 1/2 inch cut

requirements.

Obviously I didn't try every possible holster that is available, however every one that I did try, other than the DOH, carried the frontstrap of the pistol at or above the top of the belt. In short, every holster I tried, other than the DOH, was fine. A 15 dollar Uncle Mike's Kydex holster works just fine.

Gary

Not according to my clubs IDPA coordinator. He said the Uncle Mikes Kydex holster the club president told me to get, was a No-Go, and that I had to get a holster that was IDPA approved! I ran out an bought a Blade-Tech that said "IDPA Approved, but the small rib on my series-70 Colt Goldcup prevented the pistol from fitting into it, I contacted Blade-Tech's service dept. and they said....

"Unfortunately, our injection molded holster does not accommodate that

weapon. You may contact Returns & Exchanges at carrie@blade-tech.com if you

need to do an exchange for one of our custom holsters that can be made for

that weapon."

The IDPA rules say the holster cannot be modified, so, then I went to BrianEnos.com, and bought a Safariland 560, but it's going on three weeks and it hasn't arrived yet. Don't know what I'm going to do if for some reason it doesn't work. Personally, I'm getting kind of irritated with the whole mess! It might make some difference at the National level, but new shooters like me, are having to run around, and buy two or three new holsters trying to find one everybody will be OK with, for what!...?

JDBraddy

Edited by JDBraddy

Gary

Not according to my clubs IDPA coordinator. He said the Uncle Mikes Kydex holster the club president told me to get, was a No-Go, and that I had to get a holster that was IDPA approved! I ran out an bought a Blade-Tech that said "IDPA Approved, but the small rib on my series-70 Colt Goldcup prevented the pistol from fitting into it, I contacted Blade-Tech's service dept. and they said....

that weapon."

The IDPA rules say the holster cannot be modified, so, then I went to BrianEnos.com, and bought a Safariland 560, but it's going on three weeks and it hasn't arrived yet. Don't know what I'm going to do if for some reason it doesn't work. Personally, I'm getting kind of irritated with the whole mess! It might make some difference at the National level, but new shooters like me, are having to run around, and buy two or three new holsters trying to find one everybody will be OK with, for what!...?

JDBraddy

This is a USPSA Single Stack division holster question.IDPA is a separate sport,similar but different.Like baseball and softball,tennis and badmitton.

I feel your pain brother. I fear many of the organized factions are driving away new shooters in their very effort to attract that same group of people. Equipment that was once "legal", now not, or soon to be not legal; rule changes, increasing rules complexity, everchanging "approved" equipment lists, etc., etc. It shouldn't take a lawyer to interpret the rules and play the game, huh? Hang in there. Moderators, sorry for the drift. If required, move this post to "What I Hate", because it's certainly a good fit there also.

This is a USPSA Single Stack division holster question.IDPA is a separate sport,similar but different.Like baseball and softball,tennis and badmitton.

Yes, but like many, I cross over shooting L-10 and CDP, and my local club is sanctioned by both, they hold one IDPA and one USPSA match each month. I think there are probably enough people doing this, to warrent "some accomodation" by both organizations.

Yes, but like many, I cross over shooting L-10 and CDP, and my local club is sanctioned by both, they hold one IDPA and one USPSA match each month. I think there are probably enough people doing this, to warrent "some accomodation" by both organizations.

Actually any IDPA-legal holster will be legal in USPSA Single Stack or L10. Even with the tightening of the USPSA SS holster rules for 2007, they are still a bit more relaxed than what you will find in IDPA. I don't see how USPSA could be more accommodating that that. With respect to the IDPA rules, modifying a holster was illegal when there was an approved holster list. Beginning with the 2005 rules, the approved list went away and holster modifications are now legal as long as the holster still meets the criteria set in the rules. You will find mention of this on the bottom of page 33 in the latest rule book. There is no shortage of holsters that are legal in IDPA as well as in USPSA SS division. It sounds like your choices may be more limited by the configuration of your specific 1911 than anything in the rules.

Too bad your DOH didn't fit your Colt. I have a DOH that I ordered for a STI Edge. It fits my Edge, my Eagle (actually a chopped Edge) and my single stacks. When I use it for IDPA I just take off the DOH hanger and attach the stingray directly to the holster body, turning it into BladeTech version of an IDPA legal holster.

I decided to avoid the whole DOH controversy by just getting a Comptac belt holster for my single stack. I think It's even good for IDPA if I ever do that.

I don't feel like my times are suffering because of it.

I don't have women's hips though. :lol:

Edited by Eager

A couple months ago, I decided to focus on the DOH as my main holster (and bought 2 of them ), for several reasons, but one of the biggest was being able to have the same holster "feel" for whatever USPSA Division I cared to shoot -- LTD, SS, Production or L10.

The DOH was very secure, and seemed "quick enough" with a little practice. On the rare occasions I shoot IDPA, I could convert it....(which is a PITA, if you use LocTite to prevent the post screws from coming loose).

Now it ends up not being legal in SS, either, so that's going to require a full commitment to learning another "draw", if I wish to shoot this division; IMO, you can get away with a slower draw, in IDPA, with the concealment garment business....

It kinda sucks; I don't see why SS has to be "tougher" than Production. </whine>

Gary

Mr Stevens,

In re to the DOH,

Can I ask "why" the board would opt to take a perfectly good and SAFE holster and make it obsolete? If we are (USPSA) are talking/trying/going to align ourselves more with IPSC, why have a holster rule as there does not seem to be one other than position in IPSC? I'm not trying to stir the pot here, but you are really the only person on the board who seems to be willing to keep the rest of us informed. Again, Why ??? TIA

DaG

just dremel it and go on.......

Gary

that weapon."

JDBraddy

just demel the holster to fit the 70 series colt ...that would be legal,if not kinda stealthy..what RO/SO would even think to look inside a holster,as long as it is safe just fix it..i'd be more worried about the wider trigger on the gold cup catching or rubbing on the kydex....

We are not trying to align ourselves with IPSC as we have just initiated a dual track policy of running USPSA and IPSC individually.

As to the DOH, there were minor adjustments that the BOD felt needed to be made in areas such as distance of the gun and magazines from the belt, and the carry location of the pistol in PSSD. It is no secret that the DOH was an area of contention in the original draft of the PSSD rules. This adjustment for PSSD was an effort to rectify that problem. The only holster, to my knowledge, that has been affected is the DOH in it's standard configuration. Removal of the drop feature, once again gives a legal holster. I realize that there are some older DOH out there that do not have the removable feature, and I regret that. These holsters are legal in other USPSA Divisions.

Gary

Well it probably won't seem "strange" to you then that there are "some" who think it should be changed in Production also will it? I don't have strong feelings on this one way or the other, but the more I think about it, I am concerned about messing with a holster that has been legal for several years now in Production. The original issue of the DOH concerned PSSD, which was advertised from the beginning as "Provisional rules" that most certainly would be changed in some manner. One of the changes was in the area of this particular holster for PSSD. I have tried to keep PSSD independent of the other divisions. If something is modified in one of the other divisions it should be based on it's own merits, not because of something in PSSD.

Now before someone points to the common box between Production and PSSD, each one stands on it's own merits. The only reason they are the same, is to apply the KISS principle as much as possible.

Gary

I'm speculating that he did not get the Blade-Tech DOH, but the injected molded holster that sells for $15.00. My Dan Wesson Razorback with top rib fits fine in the Blade-Tech DOH.

Yes, sorry if I didn't make that distinction clear, cost was an issue, and I bought the injection molded holster, not the DOH. The Safariland 560 arrived today, and I REALLY like this holster. Quality, fit, finish, feel, are a quantum leap beyond the Blade-tech and Uncle Mikes Kydex holsters I bought. I really hope the IDPA coordinator gives this on his blessing, if so I'll be content, and probably donate the others to the club for other new shooters to use.