Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Which way to go?

TDean

Ok guys, this is what I got in the junk drawer.

-P-14 frame

-C-more "Slide Ride"

Will aftermarket 38Super magazines fit into the .45 Para's frame?

If so, then all I should need is a new 38Super top-end and ejector right?

Is there a recommended ParaOrd. mounting system for the C-more "SlideRide" ?

Looks like you are at least $1500 away from an Open gun. Don't you also need fire control parts?

You can take the weaver mount off the slide ride, and use one of several mounts. Dawson and Brazos single sides come to mind. Not sure about the double-side mounts like the Allchin... not sure of Para dust cover width.

AFAIK, Para Super mags will fit in the frame. Para doesn't/didn't make a Super yet there are plenty of custom Para Supers out there, running Para or "for Para by STI" mags.

Erik, I have a complete P14.45, so the fire control parts are there.  I'm imagining the only "useful" part would be the frame right.  The slides .45 breech face won't work with 38Super will it?  With another extractor?  Hmmmmm......

If a 30Super extractor is all I need to make the slide work, then all I need is a C-More mount, 38Super mags and a 38Super barrel & comp fitted right?

(Edited by TDean at 12:29 pm on April 23, 2002)

TDean, I assume the breech face is cut to a caliber specific size for a reason. If it wasn't necessary, they'd all be made to fit .45 ACP because anything smaller would work.

George Smith at EGW www.egw-guns.com, in addition to being a master gunsmith, is also a master welder and is fully capable of welding and recutting your breech face.

Kbear, I was working off the premise that certain guns chambered (and breechfaced) in .40 will function perfectly with the 9mm Parabellum.

If a 9mm case works being 50thousands smaller than the .40, why wouldn't a 100thousands smaller 38Super work in a 45's breechface?

I know this has been attempted before........

I just need to know if the outcome was + or -

What I would worry most about is the fit, or lack there of, of the extractor. There are lots of 9x/super slides out there that would take a lot of the guess work out and simplify your conversion. I just fit a Nowlin three port barrel and comp to a factory para 9 slide. I had them weld the nowlin ramp cut in the barrel and recut to Para ramp. Bought pre-fit and with minor fitting, it works great.

I've seen a few complete open class 38 super top ends on the classifieds forum here.... as well as Ebay, and gunbroker, and USPSA classifieds.... might want to go that route, drop on top of your frame, buy the para 38 super mags, attach your C-more and your ready to run. Or sell your frame and  buy a complete gun (might be cheaper by the time your done making it work!).

I definately will be experimenting and learning new gunsmithing skills if I decide to drop a complete top-end on.  Slide fit, link size.....ect.

If I get lucky, everything will work with minor fitting.

If things don't go well, I'll at least learn the tricks to making an Open gun work the hard way.$$

Thanks for all the advice and ideas.