Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Msa Earmuffs

Chuck Anderson

I bought a set of MSA Supreme ear muffs this summer from MLE Shooting Sports. They had been the best set of muffs that I had ever used. Up until Area 2. About midway through they stopped working. Tried switching out the batteries but to no avail. A couple weeks after I got back I finally got around to calling MSA to get a replacement set. I expected to have to get an RMA, send them back and be without muffs for a month or so. Instead MSA emailed a return shipping label to send the old ones back and I had a brand new set sent out as a replacement. They arrived no later than 5 days after the call.

This by itself would set MSA above and beyond in my opinion, but it gets better. Sometime after I got home from Area 2 my muffs seemed to have sprouted legs and wandered away. I email MSA to let them know I couldn't find the old set and that I could send the new ones back or buy the new pair. I just got an email back from MSA saying not to worry. If I find them, ship them back but to keep the new ones.

This is above and beyond customer service. I bought the muffs from a distributor and never registered them. For all they know I could be lying and just trying to get free muffs (please don't do this). I will definitely be doing business with MSA again. They're top notch in my book.

:) Just to add to that, I bought mine from Angus Hobdell at Ghostholster. He recommended them because I wear hearing aids in both ears and we found that using these I could ditch the hearing aids at matches and still hear conversations....Can't say enough about how comfortable and WONDERFUL these ear muffs are! There are many many guys that I shoot with that are hard of hearing that I wish would get a pair of these as well!

• 2 weeks later...

I just spent a day shooting with my new MSA muffs. They're the Supreme Pro-X's and they're wonderful.

They're expensive muffs but the quality is really there. The filtering is so nice on these badboys, I had conversations while some friends were continuing to fire their rifles and the filters didn't make the conversation 'clippy'. The muffs continued to relay low decibel sounds while stopping the rifle shots, I've never had electronic muffs that worked this well. The battery compartment is so well done and they run on standard AAA batteries. The on/off and volume controls are well designed and work without reading the manual. The MSA's didn't get in my way shooting shotgun either, they're slim enough to not interfere with the stock.

For me, this is just like the first Goretex jacket I bought. I remember thinking I'd never pay $300 for a nylon jacket and now that I've had Goretex I'll never go back to cheap jackets again. Maybe this is kind of a bad thing, I never knew what I was missing until I got the MSA's.

My family has hearing loss issues. I'm already showing signs myself. In 10 years I'll be wearing hearing aids, I'm hoping these excellent muffs are still around when I get my permanent electronic ears.