Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Resizing Die Wrecking Brass!

I have recently had the problem of my resizing die leaving scratches up and down my my brass along with leaving a nice gouge alomg the base where I stop on the down stroke and pull on the up stroke.

The 1st pic is of brass that has been twice fired and cleaned. The red arrows are pointing to where the marks will be AFTER the brass is resized. Right now this brass has no scratches or gouges.

The next 3 pics will have red arrows pointing to the arears that have the scrathes and gouges. I tried to get as close up as possible. The rings around the bottom of the brass are worse. Also it is hard toi see the scratches that run up and down the case body but the gouges should be very obvious.

I have taken apart the die, soaked it in solvent and scrubbed the carbided insert yet this problem still is happening. Any suggestions???

pre.jpg

100_1010.jpg100_1009.jpg

100_1012.jpg

Is it a new die? If it it then sounds like a QC problem. Must have missed that one. If it is a die that has worked well in the past......hmmmm.........carbide is hard as hell but looks like something is imbedded in it. Either way you will problably need a new die. I believe it would be extremly difficult to try to polish it yourself and still remain the proper size for correctly sized brass. Just my 2 cents.

Is it a new die? If it it then sounds like a QC problem. Must have missed that one. If it is a die that has worked well in the past......hmmmm.........carbide is hard as hell but looks like something is imbedded in it. Either way you will problably need a new die. I believe it would be extremly difficult to try to polish it yourself and still remain the proper size for correctly sized brass. Just my 2 cents.

The die is about 4 years old and has about 10,000 rounds on it. I thought the service life on a die was longer than that. As far as my procedure for cleaning....

Dissassembled die

Inserted Die body in an empty prescription medicine container

filled with Hoppes #9 till die body was completely submerged

Let soak for about 45 minutes.Scrubbed inseret with a .40 bore brush

cleaned decapping portion of die

hosed down with bore scrubber

used air compressor to dry off

lightly oiled with G96

reassembled

readjusted

got results above

Should definitely last longer than 10,000 rounds. Does your bore brush have a steel core or bronze core. Brushes from wal mart will have a core that can damage bores as well as dies. If it is one of these the carbide may have been scraped up leaving ridges in the die. Still sounds like a new die is in order.

One more thing to add. When I clean my dies I use only solvent on a Q-tip no brushes. Also carbide dies do not need oil. Oil if its fairly viscous can create undo pressure inside the die. Would wreck the brass before the die though. Maybe try cleaning the oil off and running it dry.

Edited by IronEqualizer

Is it a carbide die?

Carbide die

The bore brush is a Shooters Choice brand. Brass shaft with bronze bristles.

The scratching and what not happened well b4 I attempted to clean.

Soaking teh die came atthe advice of one of teh phone reps over at Dillon. They suggested Sweets 7.62, bu that stuff is killer on my nose.

The G96 was applied to a cloth and then wiped over the entire die including the carbide just to prevent any corrosion due to the gun scrubber and Hoppes making the die super dry.

Is it a carbide die?

Carbide die

The bore brush is a Shooters Choice brand. Brass shaft with bronze bristles.

The scratching and what not happened well b4 I attempted to clean.

Soaking teh die came atthe advice of one of teh phone reps over at Dillon. They suggested Sweets 7.62, bu that stuff is killer on my nose.

The G96 was applied to a cloth and then wiped over the entire die including the carbide just to prevent any corrosion due to the gun scrubber and Hoppes making the die super dry.

Just got off the phone again with Dillon and this time they said to try 800 grit sand paper on my pinky finger.

I asked if I could harm teh carbide insert and teh rep said no. 800 grit is to fine to damage the carbide but will attack the brass.

Had no idea that brass could get bedded in the carbide insert.

Will follow up with everyone.

Still would like to hear others experiance on this, especialy if it is as sever as the pics posted.

What could get imbedded? All the brass I use is tumbled clean prior to making it's way to the press.

Where would the brass(shavings) come from? If the sizing die only sees clean brass..... I'm confused. I thought the only die that could possibly cause any shaving is the crimp die. Other than that I don't see how any debris could get into the carbide.

I sprayed brass with silicon spray after running out of One Shot and got some galling of brass to the die that started scratching the cases. Don't remember how I got it out. But once I did I have used nothing but One Shot and have had no problems since. I'm sure any good quality case lube would do the same, just stay away from substituting anything else for case lube.