Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Fred's F4 Comp

bpowe

Here are some pictures of the prototype F4 comp (an F2 is included for comparison). It is now attached to Hennings 6.5 and is (or soon will be) heading back to him. I understand that Henning will be taking it to the Nordic Rifle Championship match this weekend, I hope he has time to get it sighted it!

A few of us shot it before final tweeking of the vertical vents was completed - I was very impressed. It wasn't a 223 but it felt a LOT less violent than any other major rifle I've ever shot.

Now I'll have to get another top end built and gather up the stuff to load another caliber, dammit!

Fred should be sending the measurements off for a production run soon...

post-3735-1165812755.jpg

post-3735-1165812768.jpg

post-3735-1165812804.jpg

post-3735-1165812814.jpg

post-3735-1165812888.jpg

Edited by bpowe

I understand that Henning will be taking it to the Nordic Rifle Championship match this weekend, I hope he has time to get it sighted it!

Nordic Rifle Championship match is in Finland next July 14-15th, not this weekend. :)

I'm definately on that match with my AR-10 Carbine :)

Fred, I also need that F4 comp before that match ;)

Edited by Sako92S

Wakal, we shipped you to Turkey so you'd stop stirring the pot! You'll note that the F2 in my links are only for comparison to the NEWLY built F4 which takes it out of the realm of vaporware.

Remember the AR10 we attempted to tame with an F2? The F4 on Hennings 6.5 makes that AR10 seem like it was uncompensated.

I'll assume the F4 is legal for LTD/Tactical and is the most effective available for the .223...?

I heard we sent the Wakals all over the world to protect us..................from them!

Mick

Not Liota of course....

That does it, I'm letting a guy with a head towel and a glowing suitcase get through (with directions to YOUR house...) :P

:D

That said, I do believe that if you had actually went on the link that I posted (the second one is a direct link ;) ), that you would have discovered that Jim has been pimping FredComps on eBay. He seems to have (according to eBay, anyway) ten available at $75 each in blue or stainless, F2 or F4. The F4 are 3/4" by 28, according to...the guy who is making them for Fred. Although after careful consideration, it would seem that Jim is selling "MUZZEL BRAKE" :P

F2 MUZZEL BRAKE, STAINLESS.1/2 X 28 X.875 We also have them in a black matt finish 1/2x28tpi .750 barrel . just tell us when you do the paypal thing.

New 6.5 grendal with 3/4 x 28 tpi. black or stainless

Alex

Edited by Wakal

Are the bore and mounting threads aligned on these? I still want to run one of Fred's compensators but need one that is straight.

Geez, Jim doesn't clamp ONE straight (out of 300 or so) in his cabinet CNC and this is what we get :P

Fred has been saying that if there is something wrong with it, send it back. Hell, he sold the whole first run saying if you don't LIKE it, send it back...there were no returns.

We experimented with 7", 14.5", 16", 18", and 20" guns. Semi and full auto. Stacks of other, lesser, comps...and the F2 came out from all testing (as well the results from the ones Fred and his cronies gave away to top shooters/gunsmiths) as the best commercially available comps on the market. At least according to the folks willing to try them, that is :lol:

Alex

Are the bore and mounting threads aligned on these? I still want to run one of Fred's compensators but need one that is straight.

Geez, Jim doesn't clamp ONE straight (out of 300 or so) in his cabinet CNC and this is what we get :P

Fred has been saying that if there is something wrong with it, send it back. Hell, he sold the whole first run saying if you don't LIKE it, send it back...there were no returns.

We experimented with 7", 14.5", 16", 18", and 20" guns. Semi and full auto. Stacks of other, lesser, comps...and the F2 came out from all testing (as well the results from the ones Fred and his cronies gave away to top shooters/gunsmiths) as the best commercially available comps on the market. At least according to the folks willing to try them, that is :lol:

Alex

Hi Alex. I have had THREE F2's and they are all out of alignment. Too much runout. I still have two of them.

Second one has in excess of 0.070" of runout. So far out it gets bullet strikes when the burr on the inside of the spigot started to turn under. It caused different weight bullets to shoot to different POI. If sights are aligned for 77SMK's then 69SMK's group 1 1/2" left, high-speed 55's group 5 inches left of that and low-speed 55's group six inches left of the high-speed 55's. Also throws the expected flyers when they hit the muzzle.

Third one measures in excess of 0.030" out. It pegs the dial indicator both ways.

By measuring the diameter of the spigot it appears that hole is sized to account for the runout. The two I have now measure 0.272" and 0.254".

I like Fred's design and holding the part in my hand it's a piece of art. The manufacturing process needs to be better controlled however.

We are going to attempt to apply hydraulic pressure to the third F2 to see if it can be bent closer into alignment.

I will gladly buy a F4 to try if I can be assured the runout is within acceptable limits. I don't expect 0.001" but certainly less than 0.005".

The F4s will be threaded 5/8X24 since they are designed for larger calibers. We haven't tried an F4 on a .223 so we don't know for sure, but it probably doesn't make enough gas to run all three chambers effectively.

• 3 weeks later...