Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

M&p Failure To Fire

sasquatch981

Did you have a chance to try a pencil test with the new striker spring? If so, how did it compare to the stock spring? Any additional loft?

Mark,

I did try the pencil test, but I found the pencil test very inconsistant with the M&P, Glock and XD. Maybe it's because all I can find is an old pencil with a chewed-up eraser :blink:

On MP I inspected it has too large of chamber. The round is slipping by the headspace shoulder. With Wolf and steel case it is worse. The round won't fire and won't eject. The chamber is huge even compared to the Glock. Send it back and ask for a new barrel.

Is this the beginning of M&P issues that may reduce it from the high status as the "Gun that replaced Glock"??????

B)

I don't think so. All new products have teething issues. The Glocks did as well, especially the .40 models. I've personally had two Glock slides crack on the breach face. However, if I had to only pick one pistol to own, it would be a Glock.

IMO, if Glock came out with interchangable grips/backstraps (like the M&P), the sales of both XDs and M&Ps would take a big hit.

Edited by chp5

I just did the pencil test. (new pencil). Clears the muzzle about an inch when fired vertically.

This gun was literally built about 4 weeks ago. It shipped directly from the factory. S/N MPJ60XX

I'll test fire it this week and see what happens with SR primers.

I would be most concerned that some of the primer strikes are centered and some are not.

It appears the gun is not going into battery in a uniform manner.

This gun has a factory defect of some kind and should go back to the factory.

S&W has always shown me exceptional service with warranty and repair issues and I have no doubt they will take care of it quickly.

I once sent them a DA auto that was 20 years old.

It had functioned flawlessly over the years but finally devoloped a feeding problem.

Upon inspection the gun was fine but the springs in the magazines were worn out.

My bad.

I shouldn't have kept the magazines in service for two decades without replacing the springs.

S&W took it upon themselves to refurbish the gun with all new internal parts and springs.

They shipped the gun back to me with along with (5) brand new magazines.

The only charge to me was for (1) magazine. :wub:

Tls

• 2 weeks later...
I had the who plunger assembley out and did my pencil test and it did not change a thing.

Yeah, I did it with mine as soon as I got home and it barely moves the pencil 3" but my STI's, 1911's and XD shoot it to the ceiling. I think you're right with the heavier striker spring.

well, I did some more experiments with good old ticonderoga #2s that have never been sharpened.

FRom the eraser side, my baby eagle and STI LS-9 shoot the pencil out. They don't reach the ceiling, but the go a couple feet. The M&P doesn't even get it out of the barrel. However, what it DOES do that the others do not is poke holes in the eraser with the firing pin.

Flip the pencil over and use the hard unsharpened end, and my M&P bounces the pencil off the ceiling.

Well I have to say that after a trip to the range with some newly load ammo, and a box or so of factory ammo I have some new results.

I also did the pencil test, and with a new #2 pencil, it would jump just outside of the barrel, if not just below. Nothing like my Caspian Single Stack, or STI.

Factory Winchester Whitebox Ammo: Absolutely no malfunctions

Reloads with Winchester Small Rifle Primers: 85-90% fire rate. (1-2 rounds failed per 10-round mag)(100 rounds) All primers showed centered strikes although not deep.

Reloads with Federal Small Pistol Primers: 100% fire rate. All primers showed centered and deeper strikes than the WSR primers.

I guess my M&P just does not like winchester small rifle primers. A primer change with all other things the same is not that big a deal to load for this pistol. Once I'm done with this case of rifle primers, I guess it's back to the Federals.

i think that one reason that glocks and m&p's dont shoot the eraser as far is not due to the strength of the spring but travel of the firing pin or striker. a glock stiker will only travel about an 1/8 of an inch out into the breechface area, wheras a 1911 will travel well over a 1/4 inch and if you have the right springs in it. the glock is limited mechanically from travelling any farther. so this could be a bad way to compare unless it is within one brand ie glock v. glock 1911/2011 v 1911/2011

Just another thing to think about.

I've been shooting some reloads out of my M&P 40 recently and ended up having some light primer strikes. For primers I was using some Winchester small rifle primers. Upon inspection it appeared all the primers were well seated, but when I fired the ammo I would get 2 or 3 light hits per 100 rds. So, I went home and loaded 300 more rounds and took extra care to make sure I was completely seating the primers....next practice I had no problems.

I had been using small rifle primers originally for my limited pistol, and then for my Glock. I think with the Glock the stock striker springs are so strong you can get away with a primer that is not fully seated. It would seem the M&P is not so forgiving of that matter. So, my solution will be to switch to Federal small pistol primers, and make sure I don't get lazy on the ole' 650 and make sure I am fully seating the primers.

sasquatch981 and Shrek1974,

Do you guys have access to a stock Glock striker spring? If so, it would interesting to see if you get the same failure rate with your rifle primers with the Glock spring in the M&P.

I'd try it but I don't have any small rifle primers.

The original poster states the loads are 1.140"...just barely over the specs for a 40s&w. Maybe the pistol is on the verge of being out of battery, and the harder primer cups don't help the situation. Just a thought.

JM

This whole "don't ever touch the primers" thing is urban myth. (Or suburban myth, perhaps.)

It's extremely difficult to kill a primer without destroying it physically.

Take a hundred primers and dump them out on the tray. Then pick up each one with your fingers and put them in the tube on your press and load the ammo. Unless your hands are dripping wet when you handle them, every one of those primers will ignite just fine in any good gun.

There's no "body chemistry" that makes primers go inert.

This whole "don't ever touch the primers" thing is urban myth. (Or suburban myth, perhaps.)

It's extremely difficult to kill a primer without destroying it physically.

Take a hundred primers and dump them out on the tray. Then pick up each one with your fingers and put them in the tube on your press and load the ammo. Unless your hands are dripping wet when you handle them, every one of those primers will ignite just fine in any good gun.

There's no "body chemistry" that makes primers go inert.

Unfortunately i can say i have replicated this experiment at least three times now in my laoding career.

My conclusion is i need to be less of a spaz when handling primers.

Oh yeah.. they all went boom.