Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Ever Overtrain?

Gti18T

Does anybody aside from me shoot better when they dont shoot for a week or so? If i shoot like 300 rounds a week for a few consecutive weeks and then i shoot a match, i dont do too well. if i shoot without practicing any live fire for like 3 weeks i feel and shoot good as gold.

I think most overtraining is usually "overemphasis on a specific technique"

+1.....I trained hard for a month speeding up my splits doing the same live fire drill over and over. 2-2-2....at 10yds on 3 targets, about 3x a week. Well got to the next match and shot with the same cadence on EVERYTHING no matter the distance. That was the worst match I think I have had.

I don't think it's an issue of overpracticing, but rather practicing without focus or direction. Excessive repitition can lead to firing without seeing, you are just going through the motions without paying attention. You need to be as focused on the last shot as the first, it has to count the same. Don't lose sight that the goal it to get your hits. Working on splits and reloads is fine, as long as you still hit the target, at the end of the day you should still be hitting A's and not missing reloads. Your brain cannot distinquish between good practice and bad practice. It will only repeat what it has been taught to do. Teach it one thing and one thing only, and it will do that one thing very well, unfortunately IPSC is made up of a bunch of little things.