Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Aftec Installation

Forensics Doc

As always, the Benoverse is the BEST!!!!

I finally tried to install the Aftec again after having given up previously.

Went in like it belonged, NO problems, it is just about technique, just like golf, shooting, and sex!!! :D

Thanks to everyone who gave their little secrets for installation. I used the sharpie trick too, looks like a clean fit!!!

Cancel the above post--at least temporarily. The gun gods finally smiled on me. I got the Aftec in, albeit using the old springs. Hand cycling it using dummy rounds seems to indicate that it's working as it should but I'll know more after an extended range session on Saturday. Many thanks to all of you who sent suggestions. They were greatly appreciated and without them I never would have gotten it in. I'll let you know how it goes.

• 5 months later...

I don't want to high jack this thread but it seems like a good place to ask a question relating to Aftec extractors.

I have Aftec extractors in both of my SV open guns. I have always shot 38 supercomp and 9 supercomp brass in both guns with little or no problems. Recently I came across a fair amount of WIN 9X23 brass. I began having feeding issues and I believe the 9X23 brass is the problem. I miked the rims and they are slightly bigger than the supercomp brass. The Aftec extractors seem to be too tight on the 9X23 brass during the chambering cycle. I remember that extra springs came with the Aftecs. Are these springs of different strength?

I noticed that when slow hand cycling the 9X23 ammo, it has much more resistance going into the chamber than the supercomp ammo.

Anyone have any ideas?

Sorry if I got off topic.

9x23 is a tapered case, I believe...... 38 Super Comp is rimless straight walled 38 Super. 9x23 isn't designed to be compatible with a 38 Super/Super Comp chamber or extractor (while the extractor could be tuned to work, and if your chamber is loose enough, it might feed and run somewhat, but its not designed to)