Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Dream Ruger

ANGRYREB

The GP100's DA pull can be made pretty nice. I was surprised how similar to a S&W they had became (internally) compared to the older DA Rugers. I was also really carefull after I saw which parts you couldn't buy.

I have a friend (no really) He shoots his Ruger at all the ICORE shoots, even the last three IRC"s. It has a nice smooth trigger putll to it. He is playing with the springs to make it lighter, He does nicely with his Rugers. :cheers:

I have a friend (no really) He shoots his Ruger at all the ICORE shoots, even the last three IRC"s. It has a nice smooth trigger putll to it. He is playing with the springs to make it lighter, He does nicely with his Rugers. :cheers:

Roger that! ;)

Years ago...and I do mean years...PPC was cool and the local gunshop built Ruger Speed or Security 6's up with a slab sided barrel and other mods. Never got to shoot one but it went straight to my "cool looking gun" list. Now a friend is trying to get me to shoot Revo and offering the loan of his S&W 28. He's an evil man, I tell you!

The concept of not being able to buy parts though worries me. Is it that no one can get them, or just non-gunshops can't? Does Brownells sell them, or do any third party folks do so?

Leam

Oh boy a revolver with a slow to open cylinder due to the thumb piece (Smith term can't remember the proper Ruger term), a small trigger guard opening with a short radius trigger, just what we all need for fast shooting and quick reloads.

This is exactly what I was thinking while reading the previous posts. As far as durability, I'll keep my GP100 over the dozen plus S&W's I have. But for use in a competitive nature, the S&W's are just better designed. It just further goes to show how Ruger was of a practical mind in his design.

Oh boy a revolver with a slow to open cylinder due to the thumb piece (Smith term can't remember the proper Ruger term), a small trigger guard opening with a short radius trigger, just what we all need for fast shooting and quick reloads.

This is exactly what I was thinking while reading the previous posts. As far as durability, I'll keep my GP100 over the dozen plus S&W's I have. But for use in a competitive nature, the S&W's are just better designed. It just further goes to show how Ruger was of a practical mind in his design.

There's a big difference between the newer (GP100 style) actions and the older Ruger DA's. Look inside a GP100 and it screams "S&W copy". A compliment to S&W I guess.

There's a big difference between the newer (GP100 style) actions and the older Ruger DA's. Look inside a GP100 and it screams "S&W copy". A compliment to S&W I guess.

Tom, I don't get what you're seeing. I have always felt the GP100 design is very similar to the original Ruger DA design, both of which seem very different from anything made by S&W.

ruger.pdf

Tom, I don't get what you're seeing. I have always felt the GP100 design is very similar to the original Ruger DA design, both of which seem very different from anything made by S&W.

In terms of frame and the way the frame and trigger group/assy goes together, yes they resemble the Security Six etc. It's the works inside that became much like a S&W. Rebound spring is in a hole instead of in a rebound slide as Ruger stuck with the transfer bar but the lockworks/internals are now very S&Wish compared to the old DA's.

I like the GP100s. I've done the actions on a couple and they really turned out well. I don't like Ruger being selective about what parts you can buy. I don't like them returning your gun to original condition if you have to send it in for them to install the parts they won't sell you.

First GP100 I disassembled, my impression was that Fred Flintstone, wanting a better DA Ruger, looked at a S&W and built the GP100. Traditional Ruger outside, nice S&W style (except the transfer bar) action inside.

I can't decide if some of you are S&W snobs or IPSC snobs ??!!?? :roflol:

I can't decide if some of you are S&W snobs or IPSC snobs ??!!?? :roflol:

Actually neither, I just shoot a lot and the short trigger radius irritates my large finger. Additionally I started as a cop w/revolvers in the 80's and was concerned about efficient reloads a very long time ago. Oh I have owned a few GP and Security Sixes in my past and shot them extensively. My opinions are based on those experiences. The Ruger's are beefy but from a practical standpoint I will stick with my Smiths.

I have no personal experience with this, but have read several accounts of the Redhawks and Sup. Redhawks developing ignition problems with extensive DA shooting. The GP100 and SP101 seem near bombproof though. It would be great if Ruger stepped up to the plate.