Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Dream Ruger

ANGRYREB

Ruger,

Build a 5.5 inch Redhawk with a GP100/Super Redhawk grip strut. Make the gun in .45 ACP and .40SW/10mm to start with then add 8 shooters in .38/.357, .38 Super and 9mm. :ph34r:

IF YOU BUILD IT, WE WILL SHOOT IT!!! :lol:

TEAM RUGER?? :wub:

Angryreb

According to Ruger, a 5.5" .44 Mag Redhawk weighs 49 oz.

According to S&W, a 5" 625 weighs 45 oz.

Not too much difference in weight. In fact, a .45 ACP Redhawk would probably weigh about the same as a 625 if the cylinder were shortened to max-spec .45 ACP length, plus there'd be a slight weight savings because the bore and chambers would all be larger to accommodate a cartridge shooting .452 projectiles instead of .429.

In other words, those who are saying a .45 ACP Redhawk would be too big 'n' bulky for competition just might be incorrect! ;)

I think this is a highly interesting proposition. I don't know that I would switch from S&W, but it would be really cool to have another real option. Unfortunately, Ruger has never been very good about supporting competitive shooting. Bill Sr. always thought we were rather gauche, running around with hi-cap guns and all, and corporate culture can be a hard thing to change. (I'd love to be proved wrong here!)

The bigger initial market in the competitive world might be 8-shooters for ICORE. Although a 6-shot 45ACP might be more comfortable for the Ruger Mgmt. folks.

As to which might sell more for Ruger from match performance related publicity, assuming that Ruger backs some winning shooters, I don't know.

Shot pins in PA with a guy who had a Redhawk converted to 45 ACP :)

Think he said he just wanted to be different :D

Now here is a good instance for the rules change, his revo was .... a revo !!

Not a factory offering but no-go for USPSA since Ruger never offered it.

It was nice looking, I believe Randy Hollowbush in PA made it.

Another good example of why we need to get those equipment rules changed per our recommendation to the BOD, so that basically any non-scoped, non-ported/comped 6-shooter would be legal.

Hopefully the new rulebook has incorporated our recommended changes.

Wonder if the RH cylinder has enough diameter for 7 rounds of .40? Ham. Bowen a while back created a RH version using a Super Redhawk as basis with the 2 spring action. I think he used the Alaskan version without the scope ring cuts and milled off the front frame extension and fitted a Redhawk barrel. Dennis Prisbrey, the owner, wrote it up in some gun magazine. Now, if Ruger would only come out with it in .45! There are or were some pictures of the end result over at the Ruger Forum I think. I have attached a copy of a picture of his SRH along with a modified GP-100.post-8270-1166027623.jpg

Edited by Rover

USPSA Legal in divisions except Production, Already checked on it!!!!!!!!!!!

Angryreb

I'm not following Reb, what's legal ??

Dave,

I was told I could convert a Ruger Redhawk in .45LC to .45 ACP and compete in USPSA except in Production Division. Unless someone has changed their mind in the last year. E-mailed my area rep. and USPSA Headquarters.

Angryreb

USPSA Legal in divisions except Production, Already checked on it!!!!!!!!!!!

Angryreb

I'm not following Reb, what's legal ??

Dave,

I was told I could convert a Ruger Redhawk in .45LC to .45 ACP and compete in USPSA except in Production Division. Unless someone has changed their mind in the last year. E-mailed my area rep. and USPSA Headquarters.

Angryreb

I understand now, 45 LC is an existing model, you would just convert it to moon clips and

shoot 45 ACP out of it.

If I ever see one up here for sale in the NE I'll let you know.

Here ya go, here's a regular 5.5" Redhawk in .45 Colt. I'm short on cash right now....who wants to buy this gun and have it machined for moonclips??

http://www.gunsamerica.com/guns/976691214.htm

If we ever get the rulebook changed, we could experiment with something like the gun below (without the porting, of course...):

post-4033-1166026281.jpg

Edited by Carmoney

• 2 years later...
Ruger,

Build a 5.5 inch Redhawk with a GP100/Super Redhawk grip strut. Make the gun in .45 ACP and .40SW/10mm to start with then add 8 shooters in .38/.357, .38 Super and 9mm. :ph34r:

Angryreb

Hmmm... sounds like a viable platform.

I spoke to Ken Jorgensen over dinner about this back in June. He was not aware at the time that Smith had dropped the 5" 625. I think if enough of us let him know something could from it. It couldn't hurt.

I also mentioned a 8 shot gun as well.

All of this is worth a shot.

Edited by vrmn1

I spoke to Ken Jorgensen over dinner about this back in June. He was not aware at the time that Smith had dropped the 5" 625. I think if enough of us let him know something could from it. It couldn't hurt.

Isn't the whole thing kind of pointless if they (Ruger) continue to NOT SELL critical parts that wear and return your gun to original stock if you send it in for any kind of service?

I have a redhawk in .44 mag so I can shoot heavy bullets (350 gr. LBT WLN's) out of it.

While it is great shooting single action, which I mostly do, it is not that good for DA shooting. Most people don't realize that the Redhawk's trigger system uses one spring to power the hammer and the trigger return. Now those of you that understand triggers can see the problems with that.

I am not saying the trigger is unuseable in DA, just not as good as a S&W.

Neal in AZ

Isn't the whole thing kind of pointless if they (Ruger) continue to NOT SELL critical parts that wear and return your gun to original stock if you send it in for any kind of service?

I was thinking the same thing.-Mike

A local guy handed me his GP100 in the safe area at a Steel match last weekend. It was wearing Hogue grips (he told me they were the large size). This gun presented for me with the sights aligned...without me having to muscle them around. That is really rare for me for a revolver.

With that bit going for it, I started running the trigger in dry-fire. It felt pretty good, and the sights stayed in alignment. Another plus. He reported that he had cleaned up the trigger some. It did have a slight hitch in the trigger return, but felt better than I expected.

I later ran it on a Steel Challenge stage for a couple of runs. The first run I did slow, to see how it went. Easy 5 for 5. Then I picked up the pace to see how it would do at speed. With me and most S&W's...I would have likely milked the gun off target at that speed. The GP100 stayed right on point.

For a house/truck/hunting gun...I feel I'd choose the GP100 over a Smith or a Python. (and I about did...seeing a blued version for sale the next day with a price of $375 on it...probably good I didn't have any money to blow)

Bump it up to an 8 round gun and it would rock on Steel Challenge and such in 357/38...or an USPSA gun in 45.

I don't know much about Redhawks, and have heard of some problems, but GP100s are really good revolvers, I just did the action on a GP for a guy a few weeks ago, and it turned out pretty nice. I like the old Security-Six series even more. I will say this--if I were heading off to a place where I would be cut off from a parts source and gunsmithing tools, I would take a GP100 or Security-Six over a S&W wheelgun every time. As much as I enjoy shooting S&Ws, overall the Rugers are stronger and more bulletproof.

I'm not sure that was the idea...but I don't know enough to say?

I just liked shooting that GP100. I enjoyed it. The grip angle and trigger stroke allowed me to stay on target. I can't truthfully say that about some of the other wheel guns.

Here was the idea that started this thread....

Ruger,

Angryreb

???

Oh boy a revolver with a slow to open cylinder due to the thumb piece (Smith term can't remember the proper Ruger term), a small trigger guard opening with a short radius trigger, just what we all need for fast shooting and quick reloads.

I've actually got a GP that I've been playing with.I originally bought it to use for big game hunting,so I'm not beating up my older blued Smiths.I've stoned the action a little here and there,and I've got it pretty good in DA,except for a slight return hitch.Next,I'd like to maybe have someone work the SA side of things some.I'd like it a little crisper,and I think a trigger stop would be nice too.Also,I'm going to have local machinist see if he can shave some weight off of the hammer.I was thinking thinning some of it here and there,maybe hollow it out,but leave the spur.I'd like to see how much that could boost the lock time.Or,I could just work up a stout 158 SP load and go hunting.-Mike